Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Zombie warning:Hackers break into TV station

sean6

Dead bodies are rising from their graves': Hackers break into TV station's emergency alert system to warn viewers of a zombie apocalypse live on air

TV viewers in Montana briefly thought the zombie apocalypse was being televised on Monday.

During the Steve Wilkos show on KRTV, pranksters hacked into the local station's emergency announcement system and warned that the 'bodies of the dead are rising from their graves.'

In the middle of a 'Teen Cheaters Take Lie Detectors' episode an emergency message scrolled across the screen, accompanied by an eerie alarm signal.

This was followed by a deep and calm, but obviously fake, computerized voice intoning that the bodies were 'attacking the living.'

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2KhK8zRDl

Edited by sean6
  • Like 1

Dead bodies are rising from their graves': Hackers break into TV station's emergency alert system to warn viewers of a zombie apocalypse live on air

TV viewers in Montana briefly thought the zombie apocalypse was being televised on Monday.

During the Steve Wilkos show on KRTV, pranksters hacked into the local station's emergency announcement system and warned that the 'bodies of the dead are rising from their graves.'

In the middle of a 'Teen Cheaters Take Lie Detectors' episode an emergency message scrolled across the screen, accompanied by an eerie alarm signal.

This was followed by a deep and calm, but obviously fake, computerized voice intoning that the bodies were 'attacking the living.'

http://www.dailymail...l#axzz2KhK8zRDl

It would be hilarious except I am sure there are idiots out there with their zombie apocalypse gear running amok. Another conspiracy is born.

• Like 1

Oh, I thought this was another Omen. I thought maybe that was why the Pope had resigned, so that he could hurriedly flick through the book of Revelation to see what he could expect next. Any sign of any beasts with seven heads yet?

• Like 2

The Great Falls Tribune reports the hoax alert generated at least four calls to police to see if it was true.

link

• Like 1

It was wierd, but I never saw it. Great another thing to investigate. :( I really dont like pranksters.

• Like 1

Pranks like this are dangerous. What will people think when the zombies do rise? 'Just another zombie hoax, ho-him.' DO THESE PRANKSTERS NOT UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS?!

• Like 4

War of the worlds, at least there was no major panic.

'In the middle of a 'Teen Cheaters Take Lie Detectors' episode an emergency message scrolled across the screen, accompanied by an eerie alarm signal.'

They interrupted this important broadcast!? D:<

Probably influenced by The walking dead.

Pranks like this are dangerous. What will people think when the zombies do rise? 'Just another zombie hoax, ho-him.' DO THESE PRANKSTERS NOT UNDERSTAND THE DANGERS?!

Have you seen the video where the people who do the make up etc for walking dead, did their magic on people in NY and they walked around all "zombied up". lol

I laughed at some peoples lack of reaction. I mena can you imagine if it actually did happen, how many people would die instantly becuase they wouldn't register it. lol

Edited by Coffey

Probably influenced by The walking dead.

Have you seen the video where the people who do the make up etc for walking dead, did their magic on people in NY and they walked around all "zombied up". lol

I laughed at some peoples lack of reaction. I mena can you imagine if it actually did happen, how many people would die instantly becuase they wouldn't register it. lol

Maybe the people who didn't react were the real zombies. *du-du-duuuuun!* :P Seriously though, I've seen people walk around who were in their own little world, with faceless expressions and daydream stares, not paying attention or knowing if they were about to be hit by a Mac truck or fall off the edge somewhere. Makes you wonder.

• Like 1

Maybe the people who didn't react were the real zombies. *du-du-duuuuun!* :P Seriously though, I've seen people walk around who were in their own little world, with faceless expressions and daydream stares, not paying attention or knowing if they were about to be hit by a Mac truck or fall off the edge somewhere. Makes you wonder.

Yeah exactly. lol

Doesn't say much about the human race does it? lol

• Like 1

I could tell it was a hoax in the first sentence, But yeah I didnt see it live. I do however keep a zombie gun available for just this sort of reason. And another reason why the 2nd Amendment should be left alone. (excuse the shameless plug)

• Like 2

I could tell it was a hoax in the first sentence, But yeah I didnt see it live. I do however keep a zombie gun available for just this sort of reason. And another reason why the 2nd Amendment should be left alone. (excuse the shameless plug)

If it where to happen, in the UK it sucks for us.

We can only choose between Bows and knives, swords and axes etc.

Saying that, you never run out of ammo with melee.

• Like 2

I believe there was a movie for you Brits Shaun of the Dead or some such. Zombie self defense manual.

Edited by AsteroidX
  • Like 2

okay, it wasnt just montana who got it, but several other states. Kinda creepy in a way. Oh and the hacking orginated from overseas.

Wow. Good thing it wasn't a somewhat more "believable" fake message. Like:

"It's been confirmed by President Obama that North Korea has launched a nuclear missle towards the United States. Please take shelter immediately, Repeat, please take shelter immediately"

• Like 1

lol yeah, but dont give them ideas. Our missiles in montana would have been deployed. We have quite a few.

lol yeah, but dont give them ideas. Our missiles in montana would have been deployed. We have quite a few.

I trust that the Military has other sources of information than some local TV station.

Edited by Lord Vetinari

yeah they're d********s shouting "fire" in a theatre.

imagine what would have happened if someone believed it and Jehovah's Witnesses rurned up on the doorstep*bang*

yeah they're d********s shouting "fire" in a theatre.

imagine what would have happened if someone believed it and Jehovah's Witnesses rurned up on the doorstep*bang*

Hmmm.... good point. JW's do seem a little "zombie-like"

Must be the placidity of all the rejection they get. :passifier:

Edited by pallidin

Here's a newer article about this... http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2013/02/hackers_use_alert_system_for_z.html

DETROIT (AP) — Warnings about the zombie apocalypse may seem pretty amusing, but officials say they're dead serious about figuring out who hacked into the nation's public warning system to broadcast such messages in a handful of states.

So far, people in California, Michigan, Montana and New Mexico have heard the warnings about attacking zombies that have been sent over the Emergency Alert System.

Yeah, it's funny zombies... But it really does bother me that the EBS is being hacked like this.

I agree, it shouldnt have happened. The questions: who, why and how?