Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Information on Italian Werewolf legends

Javril

Hello

I was trying to find information on werewolf legends, stories, encounters from Italy, Cassino area is possible. My Nonna (Grandmother) had a story about a werewolf in her village, I am trying to see whether there are similar stories/legends to her's around Italy.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Javril

• Cynical Sounds

• hucksterfoot

• George Ford

Hello

I was trying to find information on werewolf legends, stories, encounters from Italy, Cassino area is possible. My Nonna (Grandmother) had a story about a werewolf in her village, I am trying to see whether there are similar stories/legends to her's around Italy.

the benandantie (spelling might be wrong) is an italian legend isn't it

Thank you, I don't know any stories or legends about werewolves in the area, does anyone know a site where I could get some information.

Wow, I was unfortunate enough to actually google "Italian/international werewolf legends", and was bombarded with(what looked like) role-playing websites(one actually calls itself a "cafe") and "lycan" sites. There looked like there may have actually been one or two decent references that you might want to take a peek at, but for the most part, your gonna seriously have to wade through the garbage to get to what your probably looking for....unless that particular "type" of information is what your looking for.

the benandantie (spelling might be wrong) is an italian legend isn't it

sorry its benandanti http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benandanti

they are actually the good guys in this legend and didnt actually shape shift their spirits took the bodies of animals (including wolves) while sleeping to battle witches

Edited by Spend

• 2 years later...

um hi im not sure if any ones still reading this thread, but my great grand mother used to tell a story about a werewolf being caught in here town and the italin goverment taking it away a few days later. just some info ur not alone.

please can you tell us the story your grandmother told you about the werewolf.

Yah, that is the reason I asked here, there is a lot of crap to filter through

here's the trick when sorting fact from crap in the world of cryptozoology - if it is being presented as "proof" of a cryptid - its crap. Once you start applying this algorithm, the analyses goes much, much more quickly.

My gram was six or seven when she came to America from abouts of Trento, Italy. She told us grandkids that as a kid in the village she would have to walk by a vineyard near a monastery where the monks would all be working. As she walked by this area with several children and a few adult women, a monk grabbed one of the children and started to flee. The women gave chase and began throwing rocks at the abductor. When a rock hit the monk, he dropped the child but became a large wolf or dog.

A group of men then formed an armed search party and shot a crippled dog they encountered sometime later in the day.

Just repeating the story--don't shoot the messenger. :w00t:

I leave a strawberry tart out on the back porch every night and it's always gone in the morning.

Proof positive of cryptid activity. What more do I need to say. Its a well known fact that squatches love strawberry tarts, especially in....wherever you are....but anyway.... The important part is that all the thousands of eyewitness accounts agree - we are talking about seriously squatchy goings on here. :tu: Good job reporting that invaluable bit of crytpid evidence.

I think back in the day and even now often enough parents are wary of certain people and places. For instance if there is a dangerous old mine shaft near by then parents won't just tell kids its dangerous bit that it is haunted or has a monster living near it in the hope kids will doubly take care to stay away from it. As for strange people or places where kids have gone missing, rather than have to explain pedophiles and perverts and murderes to kids they just make up stories about them being werewolves or evil creatures with human skin etc. That way the kids run if the accused person comes near. As kids grow up a few local stories get all mixed up into one big story.

So maybe a monk from the monastery had abducted and raped a a child once or was suspected and when confronted with evidence could not face up to his crime and became vicious and wild attacking his accusers and biting them etc. The little kids of the area will have been warned away and heard words like 'became vicious like a wolf'.

If you moved to the area and had little kids that wanted to go and play out then you might not want them going near a place where a bunch of sex starved men that were a bit strange lived. What story would you tell them?

And also just to add the local men probably shot and killed the man. If a kid over heard then the men may have tries to worry them less by saying it was a dog.

Edited by bulveye

Proof positive of cryptid activity. What more do I need to say. Its a well known fact that squatches love strawberry tarts, especially in....wherever you are....but anyway.... The important part is that all the thousands of eyewitness accounts agree - we are talking about seriously squatchy goings on here. :tu: Good job reporting that invaluable bit of crytpid evidence.

Of course, there could be some migratory species overlap happening here. Though, I think they have got smart to my tripping rope and strategically placed rock. ...Admixture is certainly not out of the question.