Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Curiosity Begins Trek Toward Mount Sharp

mars curiosity mars science laboratory rover nasa

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,626 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 08 July 2013 - 10:10 PM

Mars Rover Curiosity Begins Trek Toward Mount Sharp

www.nasa.gov said:

PASADENA, Calif. With drives on July 4 and July 7, NASA's Mars rover Curiosity has departed its last science target in the "Glenelg" area and commenced a many-month overland journey to the base of the mission's main destination, Mount Sharp.

The rover finished close-up investigation of a target sedimentary outcrop called "Shaler" last week. On July 4, it drove 59 feet (18 meters) away from Shaler. On July 7, a second drive added another 131 feet (40 meters) on the trip toward a destination about 5 miles (8 kilometers) away, the entry to the lower layers of Mount Sharp.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,626 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 12 July 2013 - 12:50 PM

Trek to Mount Sharp Begins

NASA's Mars rover Curiosity heads on the long journey to the mission's main destination, Mount Sharp.

Credit: NASA

Source: NASA/JPL - Videos

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#3    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM

Why many months to travel 5 miles. So for 3 months it only travels 293' a day? What am I missing?

#4    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,626 posts

Oscar Wilde

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:37 PM

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

Why many months to travel 5 miles.
Because that is the speed it is designed to travel at.

View Postpraetorian-legio XIII, on 15 July 2013 - 06:24 PM, said:

What am I missing?
Nothing.

It isn't designed for high speed. Remember that it has to avoid obstacles independently, without being told to do so from Earth, it's a lot harder for a computer to do that when it is moving at 20 mph. It is also taking high resolution images the entire journey, the quality would suffer if it was travelling at hight speed.

Posted Image
Click on button

Also tagged with mars, curiosity, mars science laboratory, rover, nasa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users