Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Lawmakers/Aides try to get out of Obamacare

• Please log in to reply
265 replies to this topic

#91    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,139 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostStardrive, on 13 May 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

So in the end, it's gonna be cheaper to pay the penalty than it is to get the insurance. Another money racket is born.

For now, but that penalty is schedule to go up and eventually costs more than insurance.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#92    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,105 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:49 PM

View PostMerc14, on 13 May 2013 - 06:40 PM, said:

For now, but that penalty is schedule to go up and eventually costs more than insurance.
Which will lead to more and more people on some government sponsored health care. As soon as penalties come in and people can't afford the penalty they sure wont be able to afford insurance and the penalties will act as a catapult to total control.

Posted Image

#93    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,952 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:35 AM

View Postpreacherman76, on 13 May 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

Our insurance company has raised prices 3 times since the law was past.

what makes you think they wouldn't have done this anyway?

View PostStardrive, on 13 May 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

So in the end, it's gonna be cheaper to pay the penalty than it is to get the insurance.

no it's not. Whoever tells you this is wrong.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#94    ninjadude

ninjadude

Seeker of truths

• 10,952 posts

• "dirt collects at the interfaces"

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

View PostF3SS, on 13 May 2013 - 08:49 PM, said:

Which will lead to more and more people on some government sponsored health care.

The affordable care act is not government sponsored health care. We usually call that Medicare. It's very popular.

"Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now!""
- Friedrich Nietzsche

#95    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,105 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:43 AM

View Postninjadude, on 14 May 2013 - 02:36 AM, said:

The affordable care act is not government sponsored health care. We usually call that Medicare. It's very popular.

I understand you cannot buy or be on a program called obamacare and that it is a law and not a product of any kind. Notice I said some other government sponsored health care. Such programs will be born from this legislation out of necessity and by design.

Edited by F3SS, 14 May 2013 - 02:44 AM.

Posted Image

#96    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,139 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostF3SS, on 14 May 2013 - 02:43 AM, said:

I understand you cannot buy or be on a program called obamacare and that it is a law and not a product of any kind. Notice I said some other government sponsored health care. Such programs will be born from this legislation out of necessity and by design.

He can't understand anything beyond what he is told.  He has no idea that there are ramifications from things such as "no refusal for a prior condition".  How does an Insurance company operate if they have to accept a patient with cancer, who has never paid a dime in and cover all his bills?   The simple answer is they can't and they won't so they leave the business or price themselves out of the business.  NJ can't perceive this very basic tenet of insurance and will never be able to.  The big awakening will be when he is told he is to old to warrant the cost of his cure.  As Obama said,

Edited by Merc14, 14 May 2013 - 03:33 AM.

You asked for Obamamerica, now you are going to get it.  Stand by for suck or as Pelosi says, "Embrace the suck".

#97    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,122 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:49 PM

View Postninjadude, on 14 May 2013 - 02:35 AM, said:

If I had to get health insurance today, and on my own, it would be more than $200/month. All that money getting sucked out of the economy is going to have consiquences.

Posted Image

#98    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,592 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

what makes you think they wouldn't have done this anyway?

Well Ive had the same insurance for over 15 years, and have never seen increases like this. Not even close. Combine that with the fact that several sources warned us that this is exactly what would happen and, well, if it looks like a duck...........

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#99    preacherman76

preacherman76

Humble Servent

• 10,592 posts

Posted 14 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

How the hell do you figure they are wrong? Ive already done the numbers on my end with my accountant and the penalty is a fraction of the cost of my current health insurance. You and star seriously need to stop drinking this coolaid. Its making it so you cant even understand basic math.

Some things are true, even if you dont believe them.

#100    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,492 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

View PostMerc14, on 11 May 2013 - 09:20 PM, said:

With one fel;ll swoop and nothing but a very slanted and narrow opinion you completely dismiss free market economy from the table and insist on more government control is is the main cause of out of control prices already (see medicare/medicaid).  

What does "free market" mean in this context? A system in which insurers get to pick the rules they want to play by and consumers have to be content with whatever scraps they can find?

#101    green_dude777

green_dude777

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,010 posts

• When you look back in life, you don't regret what you did, you regret what you never attempted.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:43 PM

They should be able to get out of it and have better coverage; they're our government leaders, they're way more important than you or I.  They always look out for us and know what is best, we should just all get along and trust them completely, and make sure they enjoy the ultimate comforts and luxuries in life.

#102    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,492 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostStartraveler, on 11 May 2013 - 05:38 AM, said:

If you go back further and compare to the numbers shortly after Obama took office, in CBO's March 2009 Medicare baseline, the differences are even more stark. Take a particular year and look at their projections across the years. How much is Medicare going to cost in 2019? Ask CBO in 2009 and they'll say $943 billion; ask earlier this year and they'll say $811 billion.

...and ask today and they'll say $794 billion.

The CBO continues its trend of revising downward its Medicare cost estimates every time it updates its budget numbers. Since they came out with their last set of budget numbers in February, empirical reality has again intervened and they've released updated numbers today:

In particular, additional data on spending in 2013 caused CBO to reduce projected spending by about 1 percent for Medicare benefits this year and over the 2014–2023 period.

Compared with amounts in the February 2013 baseline, estimated spending for Medicare benefits over the 2014–2023 period is lower for all major components of the program—Part A (hospital insurance), Part B (medical insurance), and Part D (outpatient prescription drug benefits).

#103    Merc14

Merc14

anti-woo magician

• 4,139 posts

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:33 AM

View PostStartraveler, on 14 May 2013 - 10:32 PM, said:

What does "free market" mean in this context? A system in which insurers get to pick the rules they want to play by and consumers have to be content with whatever scraps they can find?
So you don't understand what a free market economy is?  Listen, believe what you want, I'll leave you alone.  Sad stuff right here.

#104    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 16,282 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

View Postgreen_dude777, on 14 May 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

They should be able to get out of it and have better coverage; they're our government leaders, they're way more important than you or I.  They always look out for us and know what is best, we should just all get along and trust them completely, and make sure they enjoy the ultimate comforts and luxuries in life.
You forgot a smily to show sarcasm, or a comment to indicate you're teasing..... :innocent:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#105    Startraveler

Startraveler

Fleet Captain

• 4,492 posts

• Knowledge Brings Fear.

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostMerc14, on 15 May 2013 - 12:33 AM, said:

So you don't understand what a free market economy is?  Listen, believe what you want, I'll leave you alone.  Sad stuff right here.

I'm asking what you understand it to be in this context. That's the point of talking to other people.

I obviously consider an appropriate market for health insurance to be one in which insurers have to compete on price and quality, not by shedding risk and hiding behind the opacity of byzantine benefit designs that don't allow consumers to comparison shop. Giving insurers license to write their own rules, skimp on benefits, and discriminate on factors like gender and medical history isn't how I define a free market.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users