Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did NASA delete evidence of UFOs?

Big Bad Voodoo

http://io9.com/5977193/did-nasa-delete-evidence-of-ufos-from-its-photo-archive

UFOlogists are freaking out today over the removal of several photos from a NASA archive. These photos, which you can see here, have been used by various UFO groups to support their belief that aliens have been visiting Earth and governments are covering it up.

original.jpg

Its such a bad picture I would of deleted it. Even if it was a UFO the picture is so bad what would it prove.

• Like 1

Even NASA take crappy pictures, and you expect better from the common man? We need Jim Oberg's expertise on this

Edited by SwampgasBalloonBoy

Its such a bad picture I would of deleted it. Even if it was a UFO the picture is so bad what would it prove.

Check the other pictures; I don't know if that's a real ship but there are some awesome images of the planet in there.

Why are we kept in the dark still! If any nation happened to obtain alien technology it's unlikely they would tell anyone just like they kept the nuclear technology a secret. Also it would probably be very advanced and we wouldnt' understand how it works. So it wouldn't be told to us until they figured out how it worked which could be a long, long time.

Like everything else, we wouldn't be told because of MONEY and POWER!

The stock market would probably collapse.

It would also cause social upheaval. That is what many of the military personal have said over the years. The gov't would have to have a lot of good solid answers on the subject because a lot of people would be terrified. I'm thinking they don't have all the answers yet.

Religion is another excuse. Most religions think we are the only ones out there. Many people wouldn't believe it even if the Gov't came out and said it was true.

Edited by sslama

Even NASA take crappy pictures, and you expect better from the common man? We need Jim Oberg's expertise on this

I have no doubt that we will indeed be hearing from him on this. He'll give us the word, all right.

Why are we kept in the dark still!

You assume that is the case. I do not see any reason to think UFO's piloted by aliens are here at all, let alone our having Interstellar technologies. As such, we are not kept in the dark, you are afraid of shadows.

If any nation happened to obtain alien technology it's unlikely they would tell anyone

Why not? Do you realise how much an entirely new technology would be worth?

just like they kept the nuclear technology a secret.

No they did not, rather the opposite in fact. R&D Was secret, each side wanted the other side to know about the weapon as a scare tactic. They carefully and slowly released information via spy network's The US gave Japan the opportunity to surrender before they dropped the bomb, and told them they had "The Bomb" Japan refused and said it was a scare tactic, and they would look weak to even consider it.

Famous last words maybe?

Not the first time either that you seem to have managed to get your facts rather twisted around. Are you making this up as you go along, or getting this from someplace? Because if you are getting you information form a source, it seems to be pretty off the mark.

Also it would probably be very advanced and we wouldnt' understand how it works. So it wouldn't be told to us until they figured out how it worked which could be a long, long time.

So why would we care if a Government has something they cannot use, or even know what it is?

What sort of an advantage is that?

Like everything else, we wouldn't be told because of MONEY and POWER!

How much money and power does one get form a mystery object?

The stock market would probably collapse.

Because of a mystery object? That nobody can use or understand? That does not even begin to make sense. If new technology were to suddenly arrive, the situation would be rather the opposite. People would make money of it, as our history shows. Everybody want the new toy.

It would also cause social upheaval. That is what many of the military personal have said over the years. The gov't would have to have a lot of good solid answers on the subject because a lot of people would be terrified. I'm thinking they don't have all the answers yet.

What in earth are you on about? That seem alarmist? What would cause social upheaval? That a Governement has technology that they cannot decipher, or that Aliens life exists, as people have suspected and speculated for hundreds of years?

Honestly, you are not making any sense at all there. Upheaval would not be caused, sorry, but all I see is a knee jerk reaction that is alarmist, and based on nothing whatsoever. It sounds rather silly to a grown up in fact.

Religion is another excuse. Most religions think we are the only ones out there. Many people wouldn't believe it even if the Gov't came out and said it was true.

People would not believe an Alien if it came up and shook hands? I find that hard to believe. Heck. look at these boards, people are willing to believe the most flimsy of tales, convince themselves that construction is beyond man, hell we seem to be resorting back to any desperation to allow aliens into our lives, despite there not actually being any real evidence. We just shoehorn some in. The Catholic religion has said they allow for alien life forms as God is the creator of life.

Again, are you making this up as you go along, or have you discovered some archaic fringe website?

As I recall these are a series of hand-held snaps of wrappers/debris manually jettisoned during the first ISS assembly spacewalk in 1998. Why they would be deleted beats me, let me ask around. The 'usual suspects; named as championing this 'flap' are pretty well known hereabouts as hysterical confabulators, but that's not a sufficient answer.

http://io9.com/59771...s-photo-archive

UFOlogists are freaking out today over the removal of several photos from a NASA archive. These photos, which you can see here, have been used by various UFO groups to support their belief that aliens have been visiting Earth and governments are covering it up.

original.jpg

Wasn't that a lost piece of insulation blanket imaged on the STS-88 misson?

Wasn't that a lost piece of insulation blanket imaged on the STS-88 misson?

Seems so.

The pictures haven't been deleted, their explanation was always available, [sigh] I take no pleasure in watching eager, sincere, creative minds beclowning themselves again, publicly, prematurely, imprudently, and as usual, avoidably.

ATS post by phage:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread882558/pg2#pid14989066

posted on 18-9-2012 @ 02:21 AM

The images are from STS 88 and were all taken within minutes of each other. It is the same piece of debris in all of the images.

The guys were a little sloppy on STS-88

During spacewalks debris, both small and large, are often thrown off the station for convenience, although sometimes tools unintentionally slip away. Such was the case in December 1998 when a slidewire carrier and a worksite interface were lost by the STS-88 crew while conducting an extravehicular activity (EVA) for ISS. These objects were large enough to be tracked by the U.S. SSN and were cataloged (U.S. satellite numbers 25564 and 25565). Three other objects were also released by STS-88 spacewalkers, one inadvertently (an insulation blanket) and two by design (antenna spools), although only the former was officially cataloged (Debris, 1999).

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20060024715_2006175325.pdf

I think this may be the insulation blanket.

Here are the original images.

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/photo.pl?mission=STS088&roll=724&frame=65

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/photo.pl?mission=STS088&roll=724&frame=66

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/photo.pl?mission=STS088&roll=724&frame=67

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/photo.pl?mission=STS088&roll=724&frame=68

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/photo.pl?mission=STS088&roll=724&frame=69

http://eol.jsc.nasa.gov/scripts/sseop/photo.pl?mission=STS088&roll=724&frame=70

• Like 1

I wouldnt know.

So despite being given the actual links to these images STILL at NASA, you don't think some sort of comment or acknowledgement is in order, and you are standing by your original post?

Anyway, to answer your thread title - NO, they did NOT.

To answer your (or IO9's) claim:

..the removal of several photos from a NASA archive.

They were NOT removed.

.. governments are covering it up.

NO, they aren't.

Now, will you be going back to your source to point out their misinformation? Do you agree that this is exactly the opposite of government misinformation?

Jim, thank deity you're here. Like the OP, the source and MacG have proven, not many others will properly research this sort of stuff and of course if it gets through, it is added to huge pile of excre 'stuff', that is used to support the ufo=alienz traveling circus...

Even NASA take crappy pictures, and you expect better from the common man? We need Jim Oberg's expertise instant dismissal on this

Even NASA take crappy pictures, and you expect better from the common man? We need Jim Oberg's expertise instant dismissal on this

So what it basically is then, is anyone who actually has experience of NASA and the space program is instantly dismissed, but anyone with stupid hair who presents TV shows claiming that everything is the work of Aliens is automatically believed.

As far as the Mystery and Enigmatic Pictures, I think it's generally agreed that that's a bit of debris that flaked off, isn't it? It's been seen many times before, at any rate.

* favourite comment: Aliens? Dude, that is clearly a falling whale, and if you look closely to its left, you'll see an annoyed bowl of petunias. :santa:

• Like 1

So what it basically is then, is anyone who actually has experience of NASA and the space program is instantly dismissed, but anyone with stupid hair who presents TV shows claiming that everything is the work of Aliens is automatically believed.

Bias is easily detectable. There is no evidence whatsoever that JO or for that matter the majority of people here exercise an open mind when discussing these issues. Flat out dismissal without consideration of the evidence is the name of the game here.

It's been going on for at least a decade.

Bias is easily detectable. There is no evidence whatsoever that JO or for that matter the majority of people here exercise an open mind when discussing these issues. Flat out dismissal without consideration of the evidence is the name of the game here.

Here's more inconsiderate [to Zoser's cherished ego-boosting delusions] evidence here, where amateur visual satellite observers discuss, at the time it was happening, the pieces jettisoned from that exact shuttle mission:

contemporary accounts of jettisons, SatObs.org board:

http://satobs.org/seesat/Dec-1998/index.html

specific messages

http://satobs.org/seesat/Dec-1998/0203.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Dec-1998/0215.html

http://satobs.org/seesat/Dec-1998/0225.html

• Like 1

Zoser - We need Jim Oberg's expertise instant dismissal on this

Addendum, having just read that post:

Like the OP, the source, MacG and now Zoser have all proven, not many others will properly research this sort of stuff..

That was a priceless demonstration of that which we speak, Zoser. Perhaps now (better late than never) would be a good time to read Jim's post and follow the links to these images - the ones that were NEVER removed, NEVER hidden..

Your comments about dismissal without consideration of the evidence are some of the purest irony I have seen..

• Like 1

Jim its like talking to a wall on this topic ! There is no proof that NASA did anything to cover up anything ! "RIGHT " ?

• Like 2

Jim its like talking to a wall on this topic ! There is no proof that NASA did anything to cover up anything ! "RIGHT " ?

Exactly - that is 'the' NASA archive, it's been there for many, many years, and those images have been there since the day they were processed - and it's relatively easy to prove that.

And the nail in the coffin is a very simple observation of the claim.. Did anyone note that at no point did the claimant explain:

- what 'archive' site they were supposedly deleted from.

- when and how they got the images before the supposed deletion

- what the image references were (every similar nasa image file is named in a way that makes it easily identifiable)

And why do you suppose they didn't do any of that? Just laziness? Or could it be that by actually giving details, they knew their own lies would be exposed?

BTW, that last one seems to be the commonest deception used by these nasa-haters. They don't give anything away about the images, especially not filenames or dates/times (and they often crop or process them) and then hope like hell that no-one can find the original source. Thanks to Jim (and other tools that are now available like Google's reverse image search), they are no longer getting away with it.

It just shows who the real liars and frauds are.

These fraudsters should be despised by genuine ufo researchers, but no, the naive and the biased often accept this garbage with open arms.

• Like 2

These fraudsters should be despised by genuine ufo researchers, but no, the naive and the biased often accept this garbage with open arms.

That is something I would dearly love to see overcome. Not just for the field of UFOlogy but to make it difficult for these hucksters to ply their trade. I don't like to see anybody taken advantage of regardless of whether or not we agree on any given topic.

• Like 1

It's been going on for at least a decade.

Bias is detectable, and your's stands out like a sore thumb. Trashing people like JO is silly because you are not even so much as a pimple in his behind.

Illustrate the flat out dismissal Zoser, I dare you, yet again like I have so many times, and like you have ignored so many times. We can see what your opinions is based on. Ignorance, again, you have not even read the posts. The OP said the photos had been deleted, and Jim provided links to the so called deleted photos on line. The only bias being shown is your continually amazing deliberate ignorance and refusal to read posts you comment on. You have now resorted to attacking professionals and lying about claims. Not that such was unexpected. This is where the woo woo train always goes.

What is flat out dismissal if not complaining about a post that has been answered right in front of you? The claimed missing data is not missing. Now what Zoser?

And what you are doing has been going on for more than a decade. Nothing to be proud of though.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I wouldnt know.

Now you do ;)

During spacewalks debris, both small and large, are often thrown off the station for convenience, although sometimes tools unintentionally slip away. Such was the case in December 1998 when a slidewire carrier and a worksite interface were lost by the STS-88 crew while conducting an extravehicular activity (EVA) for ISS. These objects were large enough to be tracked by the U.S. SSN and were cataloged (U.S. satellite numbers 25564 and 25565). Three other objects were also released by STS-88 spacewalkers, one inadvertently (an insulation blanket) and two by design (antenna spools), although only the former was officially cataloged (Debris, 1999)

LINK