Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Did Back to the Future correctly predict 2015

Ozfactor

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/in-1989-back-to-the-future-part-ii-time-travelled-to-2015-how-much-did-hollywood-get-right/story-e6frfmq9-1227146351221

IN the 1985 film Back to the Future, Marty McFly travelled into the past, to 1955, to save his parents’ marriage.

Four real-world years later — but mere minutes after returning to 1985 for Marty — in 1989’s Back to the Future Part II, Emmett “Doc” Brown arrived with urgent news: Marty must travel to the future to save his kids.

So Marty and Doc jumped into the DeLorean and set the time circuits for 30 years hence: Wednesday, October 21, 2015.

Minds boggled at a 2015 in which the weather bureau would predict rainfall to the second. Automated petrol pumps (you don’t even have to get out of your car!) spout slogans in synthesised Stephen Hawking voices.

Cafes manned by floating TV heads deliver drinks by air tube. Fashion is uniformly brightly coloured. Books no longer require dust jackets, since dust-repellent paper was invented. Dogs can be walked by unmanned hover collars. A visit to the Rejuvenation Clinic (“They took out some wrinkles, did a hair repair, changed the blood ...”) might add a good 40 years to your life.

And grabbing a bottle of Pepsi would require a $50 note.

• Like 2

Pepsi at $50 a bottle....don't give them ideas LOL.

I really want a hover board!!!

• Like 2

As far as I can tell, they got nothing right, judging by that list. Less than a month to go before we hit 2015 and I still have to pump my own gas; I still have to walk my own dog; digital advertisements sound like normal people (not a synthesized voice); I've never been to a cafe where the wait-staff were floating televisions; drinks are still brought to my table by a human being; and while the cost of Pepsi, Cokes, etc. are getting pricier, they aren't $50.

• Like 5

It's the job of science fiction writers to imagine the future (and producers of sci-fi shows to create it.) It's been proven that this inspires the future (engineers and scientists try to recreate the ideas) but does not predict it.

• Like 4

As far as I can tell, they got nothing right, judging by that list. Less than a month to go before we hit 2015 and I still have to pump my own gas; I still have to walk my own dog; digital advertisements sound like normal people (not a synthesized voice); I've never been to a cafe where the wait-staff were floating televisions; drinks are still brought to my table by a human being; and while the cost of Pepsi, Cokes, etc. are getting pricier, they aren't $50.

if pepsi was $50 then you would have an income of a million a year.

• Like 2

We'll get the auto-lacing shoes on 2015 at the very least, Nike promised so in a 2011 when they released the low tech version which you had to lace yourself. Here's the ad:

But my own theory is they messed with the past too much so major technological break through didn't happen. Probably some ripping effect from Biff Tannen not achiving his original future. That's why we don't have hoverboards but iphones instead. ^_~

• Like 4

I still dont have a time travelling DeLorean...Nuff said im p*ssed!!!

• Like 3

i think back to the future can be excused in this case since... i mean, it wasn't exactly meant to be an ultra accurate prediction of the future.

which is too bad, because i really would like my jacket to be dry now.

• Like 3

I did see a guy that has a flying drone that walks his dog.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4

That sequal was tongue in cheek. I haven't seen that film since I watched it in the cinema as a kid. I didn't think much of it tbh.

• Like 2

there is a thread on here about hover boards, but i think they will cost 10,000 dollars.

• Like 2

Hell no. But star trek kinda did. Tri quarters were awesome, but what we have is smaller and capable of more in a different economic and social concept that I don't think the writters of even the late 80's could anticipate. What we have achieved socially is bigger than a hover board or flying car which is mostly Impractical. I think... And it's only my opinion, we are beyond all that and are trying to mature.

• Like 1

I agree with what your saying WCF but its still no excuse for me not having a flying DeLorean in this day and age :P Sorry for harping on this but i feel there are no excuses for this lol

• Like 1

[media=]

[/media]

When did Hawk get so OLD??

When did Hawk get so OLD??

I know...Scary, isn't it.

• Like 1