Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Gay marriage 'to be illegal'

gat marriage maria miller

• Please log in to reply
403 replies to this topic

#31    with bells on

with bells on

Psychic Spy

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

there is nothing christian about churches being against gay marriage.. thats the irony..

if Jesus was living today, im sure he would accept all people as equal and all situations, including gay marriage in his churches..  i even think the Jesus in the bible was gay.. that long hair, that gentle nature, hanging out with all those sexy disciples, nailed to a cross.. so camp, with a sadomasochist slant..

but in all seriousness who would want to get married in a church anyway?? eek!!!

#32    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

View Postwith bells on, on 12 December 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

there is nothing christian about churches being against gay marriage.. thats the irony..

if Jesus was living today, im sure he would accept all people as equal and all situations, including gay marriage in his churches..  i even think the Jesus in the bible was gay.. that long hair, that gentle nature, hanging out with all those sexy disciples, nailed to a cross.. so camp, with a sadomasochist slant..

but in all seriousness who would want to get married in a church anyway?? eek!!!

From reading and observing his character in the book, I'd say of course he would be more accepting, and he would put a lot of christians to shame while doing it

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#33    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

View Postwith bells on, on 12 December 2012 - 12:44 PM, said:

Unless I'm missing something God is quite clearly against it in the Bible.

Laws protect religious freedom in this country so you'll have to learn to be more tolerant.

#34    Beckys_Mom

Beckys_Mom

Sarcastic Muppet..!

• 51,196 posts

• "I hate pretentious people. I mean, what is the point in applying exorbitantly extensive vocabulary, it is just straightforwardly unnecessary".

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 12 December 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

Laws protect religious freedom in this country so you'll have to learn to be more tolerant.

Are saying Jesus himself speaks out against gays?   I doubt he ever did, or ever would

And who says we most be tolerant?

Posted ImageRAW Berris... Dare you enter?

If there's a heaven...I hope to hell I get there !

#35    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,503 posts

• The greatest story ever told is Your story.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:57 PM

It is interesting to see times change 20 years ago this would have to be a gay website to even talk about such things and there would have been deffinately been way more gay bashing which would have probably been allowed on this thread. Pay attention all who hold any hatred toward any group... Things change, societies change, religions change, nothing is as solid as it seems.....

* edit that is to say if it were not a gay website their would be allowed gay bashing
And of course I understand social forums such as these were not as available ....

Edited by SpiritWriter, 12 December 2012 - 04:59 PM.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#36    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,503 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:02 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 December 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Are saying Jesus himself speaks out against gays?   I doubt he ever did, or ever would

Let us be tolerant of love and not hatred... :)

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#37    shadowhive

shadowhive

Government Agent

• 3,936 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 12 December 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

It's not 'clear that god is aghainst it. Jesus mentioned nothing about it and the amount of times it's mentioned can be counted on one hand (with the leveticus side being among laws that no one follows and the other main mention attributed to a misteanslation).

Actually when it comes to religious freedom the law doesn't protect it all that much. If you want to discriminate against a gay person in a place of buisness you can't under any circumstances. In fact the only place where it is 'protected' is in religious buildings during services. So no, this isn't something we should be tolerating just because it's a religious belief.

Edited by shadowhive, 12 December 2012 - 05:05 PM.

So just take off that disguise, everyone knows that you're only, pretty on the outside
Where are those droideka?
No one can tell you who you are
"There's the trouble with fanatics. They're easy to manipulate, but somehow they take everything five steps too far."
"The circumstances of one's birth are irrelevent, it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are."

#38    GreenmansGod

GreenmansGod

Bio-Electric sentient being.

• 9,626 posts

• May the laughter ye give today return to thee 3 fold.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

I thought gay marriage was legal in the UK, but I guess I was mistaken. What about those who are not Christian? Why do they have to follow Christian law?  Pagans don't have an issue with gay marriage and are happy to preform rituals for same sex couples.

"The moment you declare a set of ideas to be immune from criticism, satire, derision, or contempt, freedom of thought becomes impossible." Salman Rushdie

#39    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,503 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

It's legal in my state :D

#40    OverSword

OverSword

Forum Divinity

• 13,015 posts

• When the power of love overcomes the love of power then humanity can evolve

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

As an American I've got no skin in this game, so to speak, but I do live in a state which recently through public vote legalized gay marriage.  I voted for gay marriage and here was my reasoning for doing so.  Marriage is not regulated by churches, it is regulated by law.  You apply for a marriage license from the government, you pay taxes based somewhat on marital status, divorces certainly fall under the jurisdiction of the courts.  In other words marriage, because the state has taken control of it, and regulates itthrough laws, has nothing to do with religion.  So under law people must be treated equally.  To deny one segment of a population certain rights while granting them to others is wrong.  It was my feeling therefore that while it is strictly up to the church whether or not they wish to perform a ceremony, it is the jurisdiction of the government to grant the actual marriage.  Our governments must provided equal rights and equal protection under law so gay marriage should be legal.

I don't beleive that our systems are so different that it would be different in England.

Edited by OverSword, 12 December 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#41    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,503 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:15 PM

In my opinion god wants us to value our sexuality. There are things, situations, mind sets, abuses etc that pervert us, that truly prohibit a healthy spirit and the growth of that... The example of Sodom and gomorrah was the state of this perversion. Sexuality is a serious thing and should be analyzed for your own person....

#42    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,936 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

View PostArmchair Educated, on 11 December 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

i could swear on my left hand that you will never get support from the other churches as they base their religion on the bible, as for the others i can understand from your point of view that they are christian but surely you cant be contraryto the bible and be a christian.
This might sound like its inciting an argument but you unknowingly insult christians with your suggestions of bettering christianity by  christians not believing in christianity.
re: bolded statement

if this were true then there would be no christians. there is not one human being alive christian or otherwise who has followed or agreed with the bible's teaching and laws to the letter. therefore they all fall short of being 'christian' as you define it.
to be a christian is to follow the teachings of jesus. the rest is subject to interpretation

#43    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

• 3,503 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

View PostJGirl, on 12 December 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

re: bolded statement

if this were true then there would be no christians. there is not one human being alive christian or otherwise who has followed or agreed with the bible's teaching and laws to the letter. therefore they all fall short of being 'christian' as you define it.
to be a christian is to follow the teachings of jesus. the rest is subject to interpretation

Amen! Some traditionally minded Christians would surely call me a heathen and think I was consorting with the devil for some of the stuff I think and do and read. But I can assure you I am christian thru and thru..... Amen and hallelujah. God is good all the time. :)

#44    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

View PostBeckys_Mom, on 12 December 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

the law says so

#45    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 05:37 PM

View Postshadowhive, on 12 December 2012 - 05:04 PM, said:

It's not 'clear that god is aghainst it. Jesus mentioned nothing about it and the amount of times it's mentioned can be counted on one hand (with the leveticus side being among laws that no one follows and the other main mention attributed to a misteanslation).

Actually when it comes to religious freedom the law doesn't protect it all that much. If you want to discriminate against a gay person in a place of buisness you can't under any circumstances. In fact the only place where it is 'protected' is in religious buildings during services. So no, this isn't something we should be tolerating just because it's a religious belief.

The laws protecting religion read almost identically to the laws protecting gay rights.

Edited by Mr Right Wing, 12 December 2012 - 05:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users