Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mourning Gorilla

goalienan

BERLIN - A gorilla at a zoo in the German city of Muenster is refusing to let go of her dead baby's body several days after it died of unknown causes.

Allwetter Zoo spokeswoman Ilona Zuehlke says the 3-month-old male baby died on Saturday but it's 11-year-old mother continues to carry its body around. Zuehlke says such behavior is not uncommon to gorillas.

Zuehlke says the mother "is mourning and must say goodby.." The mother gorilla is named Gana.

Signs were posted near Gana's enclosure Wednesday to explain the situation to visitors. A staff member is also present to answer questions.

The baby was named Claudio and was Gana's second baby. She had a female baby in 2007 that now lives at the Stuttgart Zoo.

Comast.net

How terribly sad.. :mellow:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen of Annoy

• Moonie2012

• goalienan

• xCrimsonx

And some people still think that animals don’t have emotions. Poor Gana.

I know what you mean, my dad is one of them. <_<

I have to say I'm not sure I've seen something so heartbreaking as this. :cry:

I saw this on the news earlier today, it said that some of the visitors were in tears..........

I know what you mean, my dad is one of them. <_<

I have to say I'm not sure I've seen something so heartbreaking as this. :cry:

Maybe he could be hiding his own emotions? Like my husband who never admits it, but crumbles when faced with suffering animal - drives stray cat to the vet’s, mumbling how he has far more important things to do. Or keeps saying that we shouldn’t adopt any more cats while feeding this stray. When we lost one of our cats he couldn’t speak for hours, I think he was deadly scared he might cry. Men.

I’m off topic, I’ll shut up.

:cry: *hugs*

I saw this on the news earlier today, it said that some of the visitors were in tears..........

Oh that poor momma! :cry: If i saw her like those visitors i think i would just break inside! And i will never be a person who could believe animals don't have emotions! There is just too much proof they do! My heart sooo goes out to her!

Dart Mama Meenkey in Rear, Mama Meenkey goes catatonic and dreams of a Banana Field in the deeps of the Congo; take Wee Deceased Baby Meenkey and replace it with Synthetic Stinky Meenkey of same size and weight and problem is salved…

Pavot

Dart Mama Meenkey in Rear, Mama Meenkey goes catatonic and dreams of a Banana Field in the deeps of the Congo; take Wee Deceased Baby Meenkey and replace it with Synthetic Stinky Meenkey of same size and weight and problem is salved…

Pavot

:w00t:

I can't believe you made me laugh on such topic...

But what will happen few months later? Wouldn’t she become frustrated because Synthetic Stinky Meenkey refuses to grow up?

But what will happen few months later? Wouldn’t she become frustrated because Synthetic Stinky Meenkey refuses to grow up?

Not if she is like most Loving caring Mothers with a touch of Mommy Complex, she would rather it stay so cute and tiny forever…

Pavot

LOL, I can imagine Pavot's reply to this one...

Absolutely agree with you. How sad... :(

How Sad..... :cry:

*bows before ape*

u can see the purest form of emotions right there

i mourn for her childs death :'(

*bows before ape*

u can see the purest form of emotions right there

i mourn for her childs death :'(

exactly, i Reckon animals are just as capable as humans in feeling what we feel

I don't see how this is "proof of emotion" in any way - one could argue that she's just too dim to realize the baby is dead. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the idea that animals can have emotions - but this isn't the proof that some people are calling it.

Either way, somebody should get it from her before she gets sick from it.

Edited by Moonie2012

I don't see how this is "proof of emotion" in any way - one could argue that she's just too dim to realize the baby is dead. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against the idea that animals can have emotions - but this isn't the proof that some people are calling it.

Either way, somebody should get it from her before she gets sick from it.

What kind of proof do you need? A written testimony from a gorilla? She shows her emotions in the way she can. Yes, this isolated case of utter sadness is not enough of a proof to those who feel uncomfortable with the idea of conscious animals, but anyone who spends time with animals knows without any doubt they have emotions. If this “anyone” is ready to accept the obvious, of course.

What kind of proof do you need? A written testimony from a gorilla? She shows her emotions in the way she can. Yes, this isolated case of utter sadness is not enough of a proof to those who feel uncomfortable with the idea of conscious animals, but anyone who spends time with animals knows without any doubt they have emotions. If this “anyone” is ready to accept the obvious, of course.

But how does her carrying the dead baby around prove that she is showing sadness over the dead baby, and isn't just being stubborn and/or is just not understanding the situation?

Edited by Moonie2012

But how does her carrying the dead baby around prove that she is showing sadness over the dead baby, and isn't just being stubborn and/or is just not understanding the situation?

How does bringing flowers to someone's grave proves the family is sad? Maybe they just like flowers and cemeteries.

If she was not sad, but plain dumb, she would play with the carcass not carry it around in despair.

Why is it so hard to accept the animals have emotions? This fact does not make us less "special" it makes us less alone.

Moonie, the article said that this is natural behavior for a gorilla to carry her child like this. Animals show emotions in different ways, and it would be wonderful if we as humans understood why. There was no answer as to why this mother did this, but I'm assuming that when it's time for her to let go of the little one, she will. Animals are definitely not dim, when it comes to taking care of their own, and what we may see as odd, is very natural for them... :)