Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Koontz book with a paranormal twist

Joemama

-Don't know if there are any Dean Koontz fans here. His latest book "Breathless" had kind of a neat little paranormal element to it that was delightful.

No Spoilers!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Eldorado

• Joemama

• susieice

• 95-Nasty

Am struggling to remember titles....there was one where a guy ends up on the moon or somewhere and there's giants cockroach things...was totally weird, ...but good.

Koontz is brilliant, will have to get a hold of his new one. I've got about 20 of his on my bookshelf love near enough all of them.

The Bad Place....that was the one that freaked me out so much I still recall it years later.....lol

Think I'll buy myself a couple of his latest.

Edited by Eldorado

This was actually only the second Koontz book I've read, so I'm no expert, but if you like exploring the edge of possibility, this one will tickle you.

And-- the guy has only sold something like 400 million copies of various titles, so... figured there might be one or two on here that have heard of him. :-)

Koontz is repetitive.

Some of his books are great. (I loved Odd Thomas.) Some of them stink.

He recycles character types too much for my tastes.

<br />Koontz is repetitive.<br /><br />Some of his books are great. (I loved Odd Thomas.) Some of them stink.<br /><br />He recycles character types too much for my tastes.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I agree, but I think most prolific writers are guilty of this. Must be difficult, with so many stories, to maintain originality.

Better a character recycled than a complete storyline.

"watchers" also freaked me out a little...reminded me of the Hunters in Resident Evil.

Thank you for this. I will look to buy and read next. Just finishing up James Patterson's Witch and Wizard and it's a "cute" book - very simple reading and good for teens I think. If I wasn't interested in the paranormal it probably wouldn't have kept my attention though :lol:

Thank you for this. I will look to buy and read next.

Ditto :tu:

Koontz is repetitive.

Some of his books are great. (I loved Odd Thomas.) Some of them stink.

He recycles character types too much for my tastes.

The same criticisms could be leveled at any prolific genre-riding author. I mean how many stories does King have about evil possessed cars and houses/structures that are actively evil? Eventually you hit a wall imaginatively and throw darts at the sticky-notes on the wall to find out what story you're going to write next to fulfill your publisher's demands. :P

And at least Koontz hasn't tried to cash in on a massive multiplayer crossover with his own stories. :P I think the closest he gets is using the idea of the escaped-the-lab super-intelligent pets in multiple books.

Twilight Eyes is easily my favorite Koontz book. The Christopher Snow stories are right behind those. Third place, probably Shadowfire.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, didn't see this topic, I just posted about Dean Koontz. I'm currently reading 'The Taking', which is a brilliantly twisted novel. I'm a big fan of Dean Koontz, and although I do like Stephen King, I feel he is too descriptive whereas Koontz is more psychological, he will enable your own fears and phobias to take over some parts, creating a scarier image.

• 2 weeks later...

-Don't know if there are any Dean Koontz fans here. His latest book "Breathless" had kind of a neat little paranormal element to it that was delightful.

No Spoilers!

I didn't know he had a new book out there! Koontz is a guilty pleasure.

Hi, didn't see this topic, I just posted about Dean Koontz. I'm currently reading 'The Taking', which is a brilliantly twisted novel. I'm a big fan of Dean Koontz, and although I do like Stephen King, I feel he is too descriptive whereas Koontz is more psychological, he will enable your own fears and phobias to take over some parts, creating a scarier image.

The Taking is one of my favorites! You will love the ending, I did. Although it scared me when I actually thought about it. Another great one is Strange Highways. It is a bunch of short stories, the first and best one is Strange Highways. (Yes, the title of the book and the title of the first story are the same.)

I liked Phantoms. It had a verrry creepy feel to it. I like Koontz but like a lot of people had said, he is repetitive. Phantoms was good to read because there weren't too many characters involved. I tried reading Winter Moon and Strangers at the same time and got thoroughly confused lol. I like them, though. Scary without the gore.

I am myself a Big Koontz fan, and as mentioned he's, IMO, only 2nd to The Great King in terms of twisted and barbed imagination ;-)

Sole Survivor and The Vision has got some Paranormal in it. It's not that gross in the earlier one, but it's helluva ugly in the latter...

Edited by Zeeshan - (Twisted!)

• 1 year later...

i also am a big fan of dean koontz.Like a previous poster said i believe that like stephen king there is a range of quality in his works. Some of his books are good reads and some are just absolutely incredible. Just to add my two cents to the list i agree with many of the above posts. My favorite is probably twilight eyes. I also loved by the light of the moon and the husband. I am currently reading dragon tears. Joemamma if you enjoyed breathless then definetly pick up some more koontz. i enjoyed it too but it is probably one of my least favorites so i think you are in for some nice surprises. i have a ton that i still havent read. i buy them much faster than i can read them.

I just read one I picked up at a fete great story but I can't recall the name of it. I use to read his books from my late teens onwards, though the recent one was probably the first one in years.

Watchers was my all time favourite and led me to my last two dogs being Golden Retrievers. :yes:

Watchers is by far his best. Enjoyed Dragon Tears also. Intensity was very gripping.

Dean Koontz is great but i prefer Sean Hudson The earlier books (Death Day, Relics etc).