Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

US Congress bans word 'lunatic'

lunatic congress ban house of representatives

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 37,119 posts

• Que Sera, Sera - Whatever will be, will be..

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:10 PM

The sharply divided US Congress has been able to agree on one thing at least - that the world "lunatic" should be banned.

The House of Representatives voted 398-1 on Wednesday to strike the term from all federal legislation, after the Senate did the same in May.

The measure is designed to remove language that has become outdated or demeaning from the US code.

The bill will now go to President Barack Obama for his signature.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-20628988

Posted Image

#2    Corp

Corp

Telekinetic

• 6,945 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:11 PM

Well it's good that they're focusing on the important issues. :rolleyes:

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things: the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth a war, is much worse...A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

#3    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,707 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM

So what do they call themselves now then?

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#4    HerNibs

HerNibs

Grand Duchess Anaesthesia

• 12,036 posts

• Endless repetition does not make something true.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postealdwita, on 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

:tu:

I think they either can't spell it or are tired of hearing it yelled at them.

Nibs

Just because it is a mystery to YOU doesn't make it unexplained.

STORM - a must watch - caution, some profanity and may cause you to experience reason.

#5    CuriousGreek

CuriousGreek

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

• Dang!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

View Postealdwita, on 06 December 2012 - 05:14 PM, said:

They'll just have to find another word suitable for them :P

Αν ανάμεσα σ’ όλον τον κόσμο,
νιώθεις πως δεν υπάρχουνε λύσεις,
τότε μόνο δυο μάτια μπορούνε,
να σε κάνουν να θέλεις να ζήσεις.

#6    Princess Serenity

Princess Serenity

❝ ♔ Beauty

• 8,239 posts

• "There's nothing to fear but fear itself." Franklin D Roosevelt.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Well that's no fun. ):

Av by unicorns @ lacedskulls.

#7    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

May I be blunt ?
Are they ******* kidding ? What's a bunch of utter ******* *******s.
I cannot even fathom how congress has anything to do with a word in the dictionary .
Would their witty bitty feelings get hurt ,if someone said,you people are lunatics ?
And if its BANNED ,can we now go to jail if we dare utter it,or type it .
Will idiot secret service men show up on my door if I LUNATIC LUNATIC LUNATIC .
Unbelievable .
This country is run by *******  MORONS .I certainly hope MORONS ,remains in the dictionary .

Miss me?

#8    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,707 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:33 PM

View PostCuriousGreek, on 06 December 2012 - 05:17 PM, said:

They'll just have to find another word suitable for them :P

I have a few suggestions.....(in a few different languages too!)

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#9    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,812 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:41 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 December 2012 - 05:27 PM, said:

May I be blunt ?
Are they ******* kidding ? What's a bunch of utter ******* *******s.
I cannot even fathom how congress has anything to do with a word in the dictionary .
Would their witty bitty feelings get hurt ,if someone said,you people are lunatics ?
And if its BANNED ,can we now go to jail if we dare utter it,or type it .
Will idiot secret service men show up on my door if I LUNATIC LUNATIC LUNATIC .
Unbelievable .
This country is run by *******  MORONS .I certainly hope MORONS ,remains in the dictionary .

Perhaps you should calm down and read carefully before you blow a gasket. I know it's easier to just read what you want into things, but it's really better to read. In the part Still Waters quoted, it clearly states the word is being banned from federal legislation. I don't see anything wrong with this action as it is well and truly an outdated term. After all, asylums are no longer in existence and I daresay most of us think of one when we think of the other.

Personally, I've never associated the word lunatic with members of Congress. Childish... juvenile... and other words that would get starred out on this forum are words I use to describe those people.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#10    Simbi Laveau

Simbi Laveau

Overlord A. Snuffleupagus

• 8,245 posts

• ~So what's all this then ?!

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 06 December 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

Perhaps you should calm down and read carefully before you blow a gasket. I know it's easier to just read what you want into things, but it's really better to read. In the part Still Waters quoted, it clearly states the word is being banned from federal legislation. I don't see anything wrong with this action as it is well and truly an outdated term. After all, asylums are no longer in existence and I daresay most of us think of one when we think of the other.

Personally, I've never associated the word lunatic with members of Congress. Childish... juvenile... and other words that would get starred out on this forum are words I use to describe those people.

It's still moronic ,that they have to sit and legislate ,using tax dollars ,on a WORD .
MORONS

Miss me?

#11    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,046 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thank gosh, the US government is finally doing something... That no one really cares about nor does it actually do something but... they tried?

Edited by Hasina, 06 December 2012 - 05:58 PM.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#12    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,928 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 06 December 2012 - 05:46 PM, said:

It's still moronic ,that they have to sit and legislate ,using tax dollars ,on a WORD .
MORONS
i agree. why not just stop using the word? how about make someone put a dollar in the pickle jar every time they accidently utter it?

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#13    Insanity

Insanity

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

• "Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal..." - H.P. Lovecraft, "The Tomb", Published 1922

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostLady Kasey, on 06 December 2012 - 05:41 PM, said:

I've described them as a bunch of shouting, screaming, feces flinging monkeys before.

"We see things only as we are constructed to see them, and can gain no idea of their absolute nature. With five feeble senses we pretend to comprehend the boundlessly complex cosmos, yet other beings with wider, stronger, or different range of senses might not only see very differently the things we see, but might see and study whole worlds of matter, energy, and life which lie close at hand yet can never be detected with the senses we have." - H.P. Lovecraft, "From Beyond" Published 1934

#14    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,156 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Ha!!! That's funny. I realize this was with regards to federal terminolgy.

On a more serious note, I have noticed certain psychiatric disorder names having been changed to reflect both a more compassionate terminology stance with the patient, as well as recognizing advances in psychiatric care.

"Lunatic", "Moron" and "Idiot" were once very common terms years ago to describe certain patients.
Not sure, but I think the term "manic-depressive" has been replaced several years ago by "bi-polar disorder" for example.
And again, not sure, but I think the term "schizophrenia" has also been replaced in the lastest psych manual with the term "dissociative-disorder"

Edited by pallidin, 06 December 2012 - 06:11 PM.

#15    orangepeaceful79

orangepeaceful79

Poltergeist

• Closed
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:06 PM

Its a proud day to be an American.  thats for sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users