Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Time to pension off Ronald McDonald

thedutchiedutch

He has been the smiling face of the McDonald's fast food empire for more than 40 years, but doctors in the US are demanding that Ronald McDonald finally be ordered into retirement – for the good of everyone's health.

LINK TO FULL ARTICLE & SOURCE : http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/time-to-pension-off-ronald-mcdonald-say-campaigners-2286083.html

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wookietim

• zenfahr

• acidhead

• Michelle

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Australia has done away with almost all images of the creepy bloody clown from Maccas, I think he turns up on the Kids Kidz meals and that's it. Not even in promotional material anymore.

This is so stupid! I rather like Ronald McDonald. It should be up to the parents to stop and get their kids food.

>_< Leave poor Ronald alone for crying out loud!

McDonalds try to get kids addicted to their crap by using a clown and toys. Yes parents should be responsible but we wouldn't let drug dealers use clowns to push drugs and we shouldn't let McDonald's either.

McDonald's has already gotten rid of all their other kiddie characters I believe (Mayor McCheese, Birdy, Grimice, etc) but Ronald is the face of the company, just like the King is for Burger King. I think the company should decided if he should be replaced or retired, not a bunch of doctors. After all just because a clown isn't around doesn't mean parents won't still take their kids to crappy food joints.

McDonalds try to get kids addicted to their crap by using a clown and toys. Yes parents should be responsible but we wouldn't let drug dealers use clowns to push drugs and we shouldn't let McDonald's either.

Yes. Bigmacs and Smack are the same thing.

Really though, I don't mind them having a mascot. Especially not when I look so much like him and can bro-hug cardboard cutouts at McDonalds burgerjoints worldwide for lulz.

Sure he sets a bad example, but it's part of the corporate identity and should be left alone.

Edited by Ranyhyn

Hey, don't forget about Ronald McDonald house. If McDonalds nixed the clown.. sort of kills the house too.

And really, I think that taking away the toys and playgrounds would probably go farther than taking away the mascot of the company.

Personally, I think it's kind of stupid to blame the clown for parents actions. Ronald isn't forcing chicken nuggets on kids.

Yes. Bigmacs and Smack are the same thing.

Really though, I don't mind them having a mascot. Especially not when I look so much like him and can bro-hug cardboard cutouts at McDonalds burgerjoints worldwide for lulz.

Sure he sets a bad example, but it's part of the corporate identity and should be left alone.

Studies have shown that when people eat lots of fast food and becomes a addiction.

This is so stupid! I rather like Ronald McDonald. It should be up to the parents to stop and get their kids food.

>_< Leave poor Ronald alone for crying out loud!

On the one hand you are correct - the ultimate responsibility lies with parents.

But on the other hand, having a fun clown offer meals that are bad for kids that include toys in them and a place to play sitting next to it is not exactly making the job of those parents (To say "No") much easier, now is it?

On the one hand you are correct - the ultimate responsibility lies with parents.

But on the other hand, having a fun clown offer meals that are bad for kids that include toys in them and a place to play sitting next to it is not exactly making the job of those parents (To say "No") much easier, now is it?

lets see toys encourge using ones imagination.

playgrounds encourge exercise.

yes lets get rid of these places, we dont want people who can think for themselves and have the muscles to protect themselves.

lets see toys encourge using ones imagination.

playgrounds encourge exercise.

yes lets get rid of these places, we dont want people who can think for themselves and have the muscles to protect themselves.

Toys and playgrounds are not bad things. However, when those things are used in a way to encourage children to eat things that are bad for their health, then it becomes a bad thing.

This is the same thing as the flavored cigars that were such a hot topic of debate a few months ago - the flavor of grapes is not bad. But when the flavor of grape is used to encourage smoking, it's not so great.

Sorry I thought I lived in a free society. My kids love McDonalds, but I wont take them there, thats my progative as a parent. We go once in a blue moon. Children who become obese because of Micky D's do so becasue their parents dont feed them homemade healthy meals. Instead they all just go grab fast food.

EDIT:

mcdonaldland.jpg

Protests erupt in McDonaldland!

When will the violence end? :cry:

Edited by Halloween78

Toys and playgrounds are not bad things. However, when those things are used in a way to encourage children to eat things that are bad for their health, then it becomes a bad thing.

This is the same thing as the flavored cigars that were such a hot topic of debate a few months ago - the flavor of grapes is not bad. But when the flavor of grape is used to encourage smoking, it's not so great.

the burgers have a certain amount of calories, playing on the playground will negate some if not most of those depending on how long the kids play.

the burgers have a certain amount of calories, playing on the playground will negate some if not most of those depending on how long the kids play.

I will point out, yet again, that if the toys and playground were not there to lure kids toward it, it would be that much easier for parents to feed the kids proper food then take them to public playgrounds - making the kids that much better off.

And, by the way, it will take a lot more than just a few minutes of playing in a McDonalds playground to work off one of their high calorie, high salt, and low vitamin/mineral meals.

It's still their job. They took the kids there, they paid for the food, and if their child is getting fat off of it it's their job to not take them there anymore. I'm sick of companies getting blamed for SELLING food that's "bad" for you. You know what the best way is to convince a company to sell better quality food?

STOP.

BUYING.

THEIR.

CRAPPY.

FOOD.

The company can't exist without the customer's willing support in the form of buying their product. It's not Ronald's fault you bought the food from them.

It's still their job. They took the kids there, they paid for the food, and if their child is getting fat off of it it's their job to not take them there anymore. I'm sick of companies getting blamed for SELLING food that's "bad" for you. You know what the best way is to convince a company to sell better quality food?

STOP.

BUYING.

THEIR.

CRAPPY.

FOOD.

The company can't exist without the customer's willing support in the form of buying their product. It's not Ronald's fault you bought the food from them.

So, your solution is the (always popular) "Just say no"? How well has that worked out in other problem areas of society?

I will point out, yet again, that if the toys and playground were not there to lure kids toward it, it would be that much easier for parents to feed the kids proper food then take them to public playgrounds - making the kids that much better off.

And, by the way, it will take a lot more than just a few minutes of playing in a McDonalds playground to work off one of their high calorie, high salt, and low vitamin/mineral meals.

I dunno, no toys, no playground.... whats next, all ceral boxes will have to remove thier mascot in favor of a grey bland box that says ceral. But why stop there, I say no more chocolate ceral. Because after all kids love chocolate and it will lure them. And while im at it, what about candy? Is it not marketed toward kids? Sugar Bad. Point is, there are many products out there that are marketed towards kids. Why because kids love them. candy, ceral, ice cream, video games, skateboards, markers, toys, macaroni and cheese... etc... Not all things out there are healthy choices. But as an american, I like the choice. I like the bright colors, the funny mascots and stupid songs. Today it will be McDonalds, who will be next? what will be next? Its up the parents to monitor their kids. Im in my thirties, I remember being allowed to do all sorts of things that were fun and dangerous. Nowdays kids can hardly do anything fun.... my kids school recently did away with swings, as an example.

I dunno, no toys, no playground.... whats next, all ceral boxes will have to remove thier mascot in favor of a grey bland box that says ceral. But why stop there, I say no more chocolate ceral. Because after all kids love chocolate and it will lure them. And while im at it, what about candy? Is it not marketed toward kids? Sugar Bad. Point is, there are many products out there that are marketed towards kids. Why because kids love them. candy, ceral, ice cream, video games, skateboards, markers, toys, macaroni and cheese... etc... Not all things out there are healthy choices. But as an american, I like the choice. I like the bright colors, the funny mascots and stupid songs. Today it will be McDonalds, who will be next? what will be next? Its up the parents to monitor their kids. Im in my thirties, I remember being allowed to do all sorts of things that were fun and dangerous. Nowdays kids can hardly do anything fun.... my kids school recently did away with swings, as an example.

And as far as I can see, suggesting that perhaps it is a bad idea for McDonalds to market very bad food to children by using toys, clowns, and playgrounds is not exactly taking any "Choice" away from you. Even without Ronald McDonald you would still be able to go to McDonalds - you would still have that choice. All that would be done is that McDonalds might have to compete based on it's actual product rather than what toys it can give you...

Imagine that - asking a company to compete based on it's products rather than it's giveaways. What a horrible idea!

:tu: Don't forget the toys in those crappy, sugary cereal boxes. We gotta do away with those too.

:tu: Don't forget the toys in those crappy, sugary cereal boxes. We gotta do away with those too.

Again, if McDonalds is still there and the cereal is still there just without toys, how does that change your range of choices?

And as far as I can see, suggesting that perhaps it is a bad idea for McDonalds to market very bad food to children by using toys, clowns, and playgrounds is not exactly taking any "Choice" away from you. Even without Ronald McDonald you would still be able to go to McDonalds - you would still have that choice. All that would be done is that McDonalds might have to compete based on it's actual product rather than what toys it can give you...

Imagine that - asking a company to compete based on it's products rather than it's giveaways. What a horrible idea!

So you are saying thier food is more unhealthy than M & M's? Those guys would be next on the chopping block. What kind of healthy food does Willie Wonka make? The little red headed wendy from Wendy's, she'll have to go too, she promotes pedophila right? Does Mickey Mouse contribute a postiive livestyle all the time or is he a front to make a paycheck too. Mickey is almost as popular as Santa... he is all about impulse buying. Oh and Mickey Mouse will also be on the chopping block. Thing is there ARE many choices out there, to say that McDonalds is completly responsible for childhood obsesity is crazy. I can make up any story about a company that i think is "Bad" (like I did with wendy's) Have you watched A McDonald's commercial lately? Its all about getting active, and staying active, not about shoveling food in your face. We live in a country of supply and demand. If people did not like the food, they would not eat there regardless of the marketing campaine.

My point is this, we do not need the government protecting us for every little thing that is bad for us. we dont need it and dont want it... its getting way out of control.

Again, if McDonalds is still there and the cereal is still there just without toys, how does that change your range of choices?

It does not stop us from having a choice, but it takes some of the fun out of life. I used to love getting the toy in the ceral box. And getting the toy did not stop us from actually eating the stuff either.... So it was not a waste of money. On the Flip remember you also have a choice to take your kid to place that does not offer up a toy. Although they are hard to come by. Nowdays even if you go to a fancy resturant, they will give your kid a toy of some sort to keep them busy while they wait for the food.

So you are saying thier food is more unhealthy than M & M's? Those guys would be next on the chopping block. What kind of healthy food does Willie Wonka make? The little red headed wendy from Wendy's, she'll have to go too, she promotes pedophila right? Does Mickey Mouse contribute a postiive livestyle all the time or is he a front to make a paycheck too. Mickey is almost as popular as Santa... he is all about impulse buying. Oh and Mickey Mouse will also be on the chopping block. Thing is there ARE many choices out there, to say that McDonalds is completly responsible for childhood obsesity is crazy. I can make up any story about a company that i think is "Bad" (like I did with wendy's) Have you watched A McDonald's commercial lately? Its all about getting active, and staying active, not about shoveling food in your face. We live in a country of supply and demand. If people did not like the food, they would not eat there regardless of the marketing campaine.

My point is this, we do not need the government protecting us for every little thing that is bad for us. we dont need it and dont want it... its getting way out of control.

Hmmm... Tell me - where is the suggestion to get rid of McDonalds put forth? All that has been suggested is that the marketing of the food be looked at since it is obviously marketing itself towards people that are not able to really weight the trade-offs between getting toys and bad health...

And can you answer the question I asked you earlier - How is retiring Ronald McDonald limiting your choices?

It does not stop us from having a choice, but it takes some of the fun out of life. I used to love getting the toy in the ceral box. And getting the toy did not stop us from actually eating the stuff either.... So it was not a waste of money. On the Flip remember you also have a choice to take your kid to place that does not offer up a toy. Although they are hard to come by. Nowdays even if you go to a fancy resturant, they will give your kid a toy of some sort to keep them busy while they wait for the food.

You need a person acting as a clown on TV, toys in your food boxes and tiny playgrounds with product placement in them to derive joy from your life? How devoid of pleasure is your life?

And your argument was based on your ability to choose. Therefore you do have to back up your argument.