Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

How's Coast To Coast?

No Censorship

I stopped listening to it, for the most part. Well, I don't listen to George Noory, even if the guests and/or subjects appeal to me when he hosts the show. Does anybody listen to it when he hosts it? If so, has he improved since the start of 2013?

I gave up on the show when Art left.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

I wish I could help you but I haven't listened to it for years...thought about starting again, though. I usually like to be asleep sooner but here I am up at 1:46 am again!

• Like 1

I gave up on the show when Art left.

Which time? He might do a new podcast in 2015.

• Like 2

I wish I could help you but I haven't listened to it for years...thought about starting again, though. I usually like to be asleep sooner but here I am up at 1:46 am again!

I listen only when George Noory doesn't host the show. I mute my radio when I hear his commercials.

• Like 3

Which time? He might do a new podcast in 2015.

Whenever it was that Noory took over for him full time. Art always had an air of skepticism about him. He would let people tell their crazy ass stories and then just ponder them, like, "Well. That certainly was an interesting story."

Noory just believes every single thing that comes out of anybodies mouth, no matter how stupid or implausible.

• Like 3

Whenever it was that Noory took over for him full time. Art always had an air of skepticism about him. He would let people tell their crazy ass stories and then just ponder them, like, "Well. That certainly was an interesting story."

Noory just believes every single thing that comes out of anybodies mouth, no matter how stupid or implausible.

I was kidding about all of Art's retirements. He had a Sirius satellite radio show for several weeks, but he quit that. He said that there were issues with streaming. He may or may not host a new podcast in 2015. I agree with your take on Noory. He also relies on scripted questions for each guest, and he doesn't engage in real conversations. He simply repeats the same phrases and replies on each show. That makes for terrible radio.

• Like 2

I was kidding about all of Art's retirements. He had a Sirius satellite radio show for several weeks, but he quit that. He said that there were issues with streaming. He may or may not host a new podcast in 2015. I agree with your take on Noory. He also relies on scripted questions for each guest, and he doesn't engage in real conversations. He simply repeats the same phrases and replies on each show. That makes for terrible radio.

It's just not interesting with Noorey.

I didn't know about all of Art's other shows.

• Like 1

It's just not interesting with Noorey.

I didn't know about all of Art's other shows.

There's an archive of most of his past shows. Some of them are dated, but they're still better than the present incarnation.

• Like 1

I'm working my way through the 2010 shows at the moment. But for the most part, I skip the shows unless it's Ian Punnett hosting. George Noory is dire. He's just a character, designed to make everyone afraid and paranoid, so he gets more ratings. Ian, I find, is a bit more grounded and tends to have interesting discussions with decent guests. He's also not afraid to call people out, and laugh at ridiculous ideas. Like a human being. Even when I don't agree with him on certain subjects, I at least respect his honesty. Something George Noory lost a long time ago.

• Like 4

I'm working my way through the 2010 shows at the moment. But for the most part, I skip the shows unless it's Ian Punnett hosting. George Noory is dire. He's just a character, designed to make everyone afraid and paranoid, so he gets more ratings. Ian, I find, is a bit more grounded and tends to have interesting discussions with decent guests. He's also not afraid to call people out, and laugh at ridiculous ideas. Like a human being. Even when I don't agree with him on certain subjects, I at least respect his honesty. Something George Noory lost a long time ago.

Ian was a great host. He covered subjects that weren't covered during the week. I especially enjoyed his shows on belief systems and true crime. I also liked some of his oddball topics that didn't fit into the paranormal spectrum. I had problems with a few of his irritating mannerisms, but the good outweighed the bad by a very wide margin. He was one of the best conversationalists out there, and his education and intelligence turned sows ears into silk purses. He truly was one of a kind. Saturday nights just weren't the same when he left.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm finding that Dave Schrader (from Darkness Radio out of Minneapolis) is doing a good job filling in from time to time on C2C. He's not quite Knapp or Ian, but he's got **tons** more personality than most of the cookie cutter fill-ins they've otherwise been bringing in. Wish they'd offer him the permanent Saturday night slot, though he's got his own local show 5 nights a week already and might not be interested (especially since he's an involved dad with seven kids!). OTOH, he's probably 15-20 years younger than Noory and might see a foot in the door....

• Like 2

I'm finding that Dave Schrader (from Darkness Radio out of Minneapolis) is doing a good job filling in from time to time on C2C. He's not quite Knapp or Ian, but he's got **tons** more personality than most of the cookie cutter fill-ins they've otherwise been bringing in. Wish they'd offer him the permanent Saturday night slot, though he's got his own local show 5 nights a week already and might not be interested (especially since he's an involved dad with seven kids!). OTOH, he's probably 15-20 years younger than Noory and might see a foot in the door....

I also like Schrader. I listen to his podcast from time to time. I agree with you. It would be great if he would become the main fill-in or go-to guest host. Of course, it would be even better if he would become the main host. You and I both know that would be as likely as winning the lotto twice. We're stuck with Noory. That's why I don't listen to Coast on Mondays through Thursdays, as well as the other days that "Bad George" hosts.

I listen to Ground Zero in place of Coast during the week. I don't agree with Clyde Lewis on everything, but his show often is entertaining and informative. He's also *very* engaged, which is much more than you can say for Noory. You could replace Noory with a soundboard with twelve catch phrases.

• Like 2

I also like Schrader. I listen to his podcast from time to time. I agree with you. It would be great if he would become the main fill-in or go-to guest host. Of course, it would be even better if he would become the main host. You and I both know that would be as likely as winning the lotto twice. We're stuck with Noory. That's why I don't listen to Coast on Mondays through Thursdays, as well as the other days that "Bad George" hosts.

I listen to Ground Zero in place of Coast during the week. I don't agree with Clyde Lewis on everything, but his show often is entertaining and informative. He's also *very* engaged, which is much more than you can say for Noory. You could replace Noory with a soundboard with twelve catch phrases.

"Bad George"--I love it! Too bad we only get "Good George" twice a month. It wasn't so bad back when we had Ian every Saturday and a lot of Sundays, but once he started having to cut back/leave due to the tinnitus, It became hardly worth listening to Coast. Bad George has taken a once great show straight into the toilet. The only silver lining is being forced to search out other shows/podcasts while we wait for Noory's contract to expire. Since he's made it clear he plans to die at that microphone, I think we're in for a long wait. Premier Radio doesn't care about the quality of its product, or lack thereof.

Edited by 2-B
  • Like 3

"Bad George"--I love it! Too bad we only get "Good George" twice a month. It wasn't so bad back when we had Ian every Saturday and a lot of Sundays, but once he started having to cut back/leave due to the tinnitus, It became hardly worth listening to Coast. Bad George has taken a once great show straight into the toilet. The only silver lining is being forced to search out other shows/podcasts while we wait for Noory's contract to expire. Since he's made it clear he plans to die at that microphone, I think we're in for a long wait. Premier Radio doesn't care about the quality of its product, or lack thereof.

"Good George" is my favorite host. It's a shame that Knapp has a journalistic career that prevents him from hosting more than he does. He's engaged and informed. Noory is in a coma.

I can't listen to Noory nights even when the guest and subject greatly appeal to me. It's impossible to listen around him these days because of his inane interjections during the "conversations". I often find the guests on other shows, so it's not like Coast is the only game in town. By the way, they evidently poach guests from other programs, to the extent that some hosts (Jimmy Church, etc.) won't even announce their future guests.

You're right about Clear Channel/Premier. It's clear that they don't care, and they definitely don't demand premier performances. They would be happy with dead air or an infomercial at that hour. Hey, that's what they have now most of the time. ;)

• Like 2

"Good George" is my favorite host. It's a shame that Knapp has a journalistic career that prevents him from hosting more than he does. He's engaged and informed. Noory is in a coma.

I can't listen to Noory nights even when the guest and subject greatly appeal to me. It's impossible to listen around him these days because of his inane interjections during the "conversations". I often find the guests on other shows, so it's not like Coast is the only game in town. By the way, they evidently poach guests from other programs, to the extent that some hosts (Jimmy Church, etc.) won't even announce their future guests.

You're right about Clear Channel/Premier. It's clear that they don't care, and they definitely don't demand premier performances. They would be happy with dead air or an infomercial at that hour. Hey, that's what they have now most of the time. ;)

Brother, you are writing words I've spoken myself on this topic. I have given up tuning in to guests/topics that appeal to me when Noory is hosting because he will inevitably sink the interview. The sad thing is, historically speaking, the job he has was originally offered to Ian, but that was back when Ian wanted to get his Masters and so turned down the offer. What could have been!

I like(d) Ian and Knapp equally for different reasons, but bottom line with both I'd say they shared several characteristics Noory completely lacks:

1. Intellectual capacity and curiosity

2. Preparation for the show

3. Innate ability to ask stimulating and open-ended questions

4. Consummate professionalism

Meanwhile, Noory seems forever stuck with the same set of ten questions on 3X5 cards, which he simply shuffles night after night. Tell me, how did you get started in this? What's new at________? Where can listeners buy your book?. At Amazon or Barnes and Noble, George. Duh!

• Like 3

Tell me, how did you get started in this?

This particular index card must be taped to his shirt. It's always the first question that he asks. I suppose that it's a good way to kill time and fill space. It chews up a fair amount of the conversation.

My biggest pet peeve is Noory's seeming fascination with macabre and morbid news stories about babies or children. He sounds gleeful when he reads these stories. If something horrid happens to a kid, Noory is sure to mention it during his news segment. He sometimes mentions such stories during "conversations" with his guests.

Knapp hosted Sunday's show, and it was both enjoyable and informative. The second segment dealt with the paranormal side of rock music. I was surprised when I heard some accounts that were new to me. Noory likely would have stuck to the old chestnuts that we've heard a million times (not unlike Spring-Heeled Jack).

• Like 2

I like most of the host, tho its the guest I really enjoy.

I'm cool with all of the hosts, with one exception. Unfortunately, that exception is the main host. :(

• Like 3

I'm cool with all of the hosts, with one exception. Unfortunately, that exception is the main host. :(

I like George I must be the only one who does. LOL

I like George I must be the only one who does. LOL

So, you're the one. His family probably likes him. ;)

• Like 1

I stopped listening to it, for the most part. Well, I don't listen to George Noory, even if the guests and/or subjects appeal to me when he hosts the show. Does anybody listen to it when he hosts it? If so, has he improved since the start of 2013?

:hmm: Coast To Coast kinda sucks now, nothing much I'm interested in anymore on the show... After Art Bell left the show, things kinda seemed to just really suck... maybe it's just me, but it just seems that way... :unsure2:

I now listen to Darkness Radio, a local radio show that comes on before Coast To Coast, the host is Dave Schrader, who actually just started filling in for George Noory on Coast To Coast AM recently. I sometimes listen when Dave Schrader is hosting...

Edited by NuttyKaks
  • Like 2

Too many commercials

I noticed that too. They also take more breaks than they did in the past.

• Like 2

:hmm: Coast To Coast kinda sucks now, nothing much I'm interested in anymore on the show... After Art Bell left the show, things kinda seemed to just really suck... maybe it's just me, but it just seems that way... :unsure2:

I now listen to Darkness Radio, a local radio show that comes on before Coast To Coast, the host is Dave Schrader, who actually just started filling in for George Noory on Coast To Coast AM recently. I sometimes listen when Dave Schrader is hosting...

Noory seemed better in the past. Maybe he declined and worsened when Art Bell quit for the last time. He likely felt that his job was safe then. Perhaps I ignored his flaws when I first listened to him.

I agree with you about the subjects. Many shows sound like alternative health infomercials. I can do without the programs about the economy and political topics too. Ditto for New Age stuff.

I often listen to Dave Schrader, both on and off Coast. He has a great sense of humor, and he is a gifted mimic. He could have a second career as a voice actor for all kinds of material, especially animation. Jimmy Church has one of the better paranormal podcasts too.

• Like 1