Jump to content




Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.


* * * * * 3 votes

The Patterson/Gimlin bigfoot film re-examined


  • Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#61    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 22 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

DC, the ability to offer up excuses from the believer camps is apparently limitless. However, I'd be curious to see what they come with this time myself.


#62    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:18 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 21 October 2012 - 09:26 PM, said:

So you are saying that  fairies and unicorns and the Irish and bigfoot and werewolves are all real because we have no proof of them having ever existed?
Not saying that at all and I think you KNOW what I was trying to say, and how does a large primates existence in anyway compare to a Horned horse.

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#63    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 22 October 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Not saying that at all and I think you KNOW what I was trying to say, and how does a large primates existence in anyway compare to a Horned horse.

Well, they both only exist in legend and we have no proof they exist at all.


#64    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,960 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 22 October 2012 - 09:18 PM, said:

Not saying that at all and I think you KNOW what I was trying to say, and how does a large primates existence in anyway compare to a Horned horse.

There's as much evidence for either.
Bigfoot would also have to be a hominid, thanks to its non divergent big toe. So the gigantopithecus argument is out. No hominids of such stature have been found. In fact, the most recent lineage of hominids that died out were smaller than modern homo sapiens.

Then there is the amount of food required. Large primates are omnivorous by necessity.  Contrary to common belief, jungles and forests are not full of food. They are full of things trying to survive and kill one another. Look at bears. They're diet is 90% herbaceous and they have to hibernate because of food scarcity in the winter months. Primates do not hibernate. We don't have the ability to do so. What is a bigfoot going to eat in the winter?

Edited by Imaginarynumber1, 22 October 2012 - 09:31 PM.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#65    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 22 October 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

There's as much evidence for either.
Bigfoot would also have to be a hominid, thanks to its non divergent big toe. So the gigantopithecus argument is out. No hominids of such stature have been found. In fact, the most recent lineage of hominids that died out were smaller than modern homo sapiens.

Then there is the amount of food required. Large primates are omnivorous by necessity.  Contrary to common belief, jungles and forests are not full of food. They are full of things trying to survive and kill one another. Look at bears. They're diet is 90% herbaceous and they have to hibernate because of food scarcity in the winter months. Primates do not hibernate. We don't have the ability to do so. What is a bigfoot going to eat in the winter?

Well it seems like you have it all figured out

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#66    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,960 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 22 October 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 22 October 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

Well it seems like you have it all figured out

I study biology. Mainly primate evolution. I would LOVE for bigfoot to be real, but I have to go with what the evidence tell me. Right now, ALL the evidence says that there is no such creature.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#67    ReaperS_ParadoX

ReaperS_ParadoX

    “What’s wrong with accepting madness?

  • Member
  • 2,521 posts
  • Joined:29 Jun 2012
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:A really cold region devoid of stars

  • The boundaries which divide Life from Death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?

Posted 22 October 2012 - 10:43 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 22 October 2012 - 09:34 PM, said:

I study biology. Mainly primate evolution. I would LOVE for bigfoot to be real, but I have to go with what the evidence tell me. Right now, ALL the evidence says that there is no such creature.
So Ill say it again looks like you have it all figured out :tu:

COME WITH ME. OVERWHELMING POWER AND MADNESS AWAIT

THAT IS NOT DEAD WHICH CAN ETERNAL LIE AND WITH STRANGE AEONS EVEN DEATH MAY DIE

#68    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,960 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:03 PM

View PostR4z3rsPar4d0x, on 22 October 2012 - 10:43 PM, said:

So Ill say it again looks like you have it all figured out :tu:

Most of it. I'm still struggling with light switches.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#69    keninsc

keninsc

    Poltergeist

  • Validating
  • 3,234 posts
  • Joined:08 Mar 2012
  • Gender:Not Selected

  • The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues. Liz Taylor

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:32 PM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 22 October 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Most of it. I'm still struggling with light switches.

My ex-wife never could get the hang of them either.


#70    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,960 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

View Postkeninsc, on 22 October 2012 - 11:32 PM, said:

My ex-wife never could get the hang of them either.

I had to replace a double panel light switch and outlet in my master bathroom about a year ago when it broken. I accidently installed it upside down. Yo have to flick the switch down to turn it off. I still have yet to fix it.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#71    Golly Buster

Golly Buster

    Ectoplasmic Residue

  • Closed
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined:16 Jul 2012

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:10 AM

Posted Image

Areola baby.

Edited by Golly Buster, 23 October 2012 - 01:10 AM.


#72    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 16,284 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 22 October 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

There's as much evidence for either.
Bigfoot would also have to be a hominid, thanks to its non divergent big toe. So the gigantopithecus argument is out. No hominids of such stature have been found. In fact, the most recent lineage of hominids that died out were smaller than modern homo sapiens.

Then there is the amount of food required. Large primates are omnivorous by necessity.  Contrary to common belief, jungles and forests are not full of food. They are full of things trying to survive and kill one another. Look at bears. They're diet is 90% herbaceous and they have to hibernate because of food scarcity in the winter months. Primates do not hibernate. We don't have the ability to do so. What is a bigfoot going to eat in the winter?
I'd agree that Bigfoot has to be a hominid... But isn't it true that Neanderthals were much more robust and much stouter and heavier in build? And that the people refered to as Cro Magnon (I believe that is an antiquated term now?) were as tall or taller on average then modern man? And that the Flores people were dwarfed in an extremely short amount of time due to island dwarfism? Then isn't it possible that a genetically isolated hominid group developed gigantism for the same reasons other megafauna developed gigantism (Cold? Protection?)? I think it is possible, but if it happened or not is debatable.

Wouldn't a larger then human hominid need less food then a proportional human? Larger animals eat proportionally less food. There are no know hibernating primates, but bigfoot would not need to hibernate if it is nomadic, like pronghorn antelope, or like reindeer. AFAIK polar bears do not hibernate, and they are bigfoot sized at roughly 9 feet tall and 1500 pounds. And they don't freeze to death, due to a fat layer, and yet, they don't look like plush dolls either. It is only a matter of evolution/adaptation for bigfoot to survive harsh winters, subsist on what can be found and to be a large sized creature.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#73    Imaginarynumber1

Imaginarynumber1

    I am not an irrational number

  • Member
  • 3,960 posts
  • Joined:22 Mar 2010
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ohio

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:40 AM

View PostDieChecker, on 23 October 2012 - 01:31 AM, said:

I'd agree that Bigfoot has to be a hominid... But isn't it true that Neanderthals were much more robust and much stouter and heavier in build? And that the people refered to as Cro Magnon (I believe that is an antiquated term now?) were as tall or taller on average then modern man? And that the Flores people were dwarfed in an extremely short amount of time due to island dwarfism? Then isn't it possible that a genetically isolated hominid group developed gigantism for the same reasons other megafauna developed gigantism (Cold? Protection?)? I think it is possible, but if it happened or not is debatable.

Wouldn't a larger then human hominid need less food then a proportional human? Larger animals eat proportionally less food. There are no know hibernating primates, but bigfoot would not need to hibernate if it is nomadic, like pronghorn antelope, or like reindeer. AFAIK polar bears do not hibernate, and they are bigfoot sized at roughly 9 feet tall and 1500 pounds. And they don't freeze to death, due to a fat layer, and yet, they don't look like plush dolls either. It is only a matter of evolution/adaptation for bigfoot to survive harsh winters, subsist on what can be found and to be a large sized creature.

I don't believe that there has been enough time for a group of hominids to diversify so much. Neanderthal was more robust, but shorter overall.  It possible, but it's just not probable and there isn't a shred of evidence.
Most larger animals eat more, lower calorie foods in bulk, i.e. plants and tubers and the like.

"A cat has nine lives. For three he plays, for three he strays, and for the last three he stays."


July 17th, 2008 (Full moon the next night)

RAPTORS! http://www.unexplain...pic=233151&st=0


#74    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 16,284 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:45 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

I don't believe that there has been enough time for a group of hominids to diversify so much. Neanderthal was more robust, but shorter overall.  It possible, but it's just not probable and there isn't a shred of evidence.
Most larger animals eat more, lower calorie foods in bulk, i.e. plants and tubers and the like.
Neanderthals developed around 800,000 years ago, and died out about 20,000 years ago, right? And wasn't Homo Erectus wandering East Asia more then 1 million years ago? And hasn't there been at least 4 glaciations since 1 million years ago? Thus, there have been at least 4 times when Alaska had a land bridge to Asia and there were hominid apes in Asia at the time. So, I think there very well could have been time for such evolution. Though it is just an opinion.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#75    DieChecker

DieChecker

    I'm a Rogue Scholar

  • Member
  • 16,284 posts
  • Joined:21 Nov 2005
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, Oregon, USA

  • Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 23 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

View PostImaginarynumber1, on 23 October 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

I don't believe that there has been enough time for a group of hominids to diversify so much. Neanderthal was more robust, but shorter overall.  It possible, but it's just not probable and there isn't a shred of evidence.
Most larger animals eat more, lower calorie foods in bulk, i.e. plants and tubers and the like.

But larger deer need to eat more, per pound, then large deer, right? And larger bears need to eat less, per pound, then smaller bears.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users