Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

The Iceman-Murdered?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 21 March 2002 - 07:54 PM

I'm sure this topic has a thread somewhere else on this board,  but I thought it went well here too.  They've discovered something new about the 5,300 year old corpse,  and I thought it would be interesting to read.  
    http://dsc.discovery...man/iceman.html

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

#2    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 01:36 AM

KC,
I finally checked out the information. It's amazing that someone can stay so well preserved for so long, to the extent of even knowing what his last meal was and the season in which he died.

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#3    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 23 March 2002 - 03:31 AM

Makes you wonder what else is is perserved in ice, just waiting to be found

never take me too seriously

#4    Tommy

Tommy

Psychic Spy

• 1,846 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 04:02 AM

Like my dinner!  :s2

Tommy
:s04

"Superstition created all the gods and angels, all the devils and ghosts, all the witches, demons and goblins, gave us all the augurs, soothsayers and prophets, filled the heavens with signs and wonders, broke the chain of cause and effect, and wrote the history of man in miracles and lies" ~ Robert Green Ingersoll

#5    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

• The Most Purple Haired Gothic Hedonistic member of the Six Worst Men of the Apfelschnaps

Posted 23 March 2002 - 04:38 AM

;D
or my vodka  :sg

#6    Homer

Homer

Government Agent

• 3,814 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, or my.....never mind :o

אַ֭תָּה אֱלֹהֵ֣י יִשְׁעִ֑י

#7    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 01:33 PM

[blue]Talking of ice and glaciers (we were almost)... did anyone else see the Horizon documentary on the missing plane in the Andes (BBC2 9:00pm Thurs 21st)?

It revealed that a plane which went missing over 50 years ago actually crashed into the top of a glacier, was covered by an avalance, was then subequently 'swallowed' by the ice and parts of it are now re-emerging at the end of the glacier - like a slow downward moving escalator....

But what is still not understood is the meaning and reason for it's last transmission: 'S.T.E.N.D.E.C.' or something.....
[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#8    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 01:37 PM

nope i missed it - what theories did they put forward for this message. Actually for starters, what nationality was the plane/crew/passengers? was it a voice or morse code?

#9    Loonboy

Loonboy

Poltergeist

• 2,852 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 03:59 PM

[blue](Aplogies for going off the subject, Nora!)

I think the plane was a Lancastrian. The passengers numbered six and were international. The crew were British, I think. The message was sent in morse code.

The plane should have touched down in Santiago and the last message, the 'S.T.E.N.D.E.C.' word/code was received four minutes from it's supposed arrival. The theorists explained that they had climbed to a high altitude in order to go over the Andes but had encountered the (then unknown and undiscovered) jet stream, which slowed their progress. The clouds prevented visual location and when they descended for the touchdown, they were actually right over the mountains instead of near Santiago. They flew straight into the mountainside.

Only pieces of the craft have been discovered thus far, but the main body of the plane wreckage is expected to emerge from the glacier in the next few years...

The programme makers had no clues about the word/letters transmitted and it still remains a mystery.

[/blue]

Do what you want and be what you feel. Because after all, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't 'mind.

Work hard, keep the ceremonies, live peacably, and unite your hearts. Hopi

Listen to the voice of nature, for it holds treasures for you. Huron

The soul would have no rainbow if the eyes had no tears. Minquass

#10    PurpleStuart

PurpleStuart

Goth

• 2,118 posts

Posted 23 March 2002 - 04:39 PM

Thanks.
BTW i like your new set of smilies!

#11    Magikman

Magikman

Most Exalted member of the first 15

• 6,280 posts

• "Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur"

Posted 23 March 2002 - 06:25 PM

Here's a link to the page on the documentary;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/vanished.shtml

It includes a verbatim transcript of the program, and goes into greater detail for those who may be interested. It seems there are quite a few 'theories' being floated about the exact meaning of the mysterious message. Nothing thats universally accepted, though.  :-/

Magikman

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. ~ Carl Sagan

"...man has an irrepressible tendency to read meaning into the buzzing confusion of sights and sounds impinging on his senses; and where no agreed meaning can be found, he will provide it out of his own imagination." ~ Arthur Koestler

#12    SpaceyKC

SpaceyKC

Government Agent

• 3,349 posts

• Thank you TO

Posted 27 March 2002 - 05:11 PM

I would like to give credit to a fellow member of this board for helping spark my interest in the Iceman story.  Nancy has a website called 'Mystical Universe',  and that is where I first read about 'Oetzi,  The Iceman'.  I was able to watch the program Monday night,  and from the latest tests,  (x-rays and a study of the human anatomy),  they have concluded that the injury he sustained from the arrow,  is what caused his death.  But the motive behind the murder is still a mystery.    

"Science may have found a cure for most evils;  but it has
         found no remedy for the worst of them all --- the apathy of human beings."
                                                     Helen Keller

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users