Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Family who chose prayer over medicine

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,150 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

A Rhawnhurst, Pennsylvania couple on probation for the 2009 death of their toddler son from pneumonia is accused of letting a second child die of a treatable illness, opting to pray rather than take the child to a doctor. According to the Associated Press, Herbert and Catherine Schaible are fundamentalist Christians who are accused of allowing their 8-month-old son Brandon to die after days of diarrhea and breathing problems because they believed that God would heal him.

Family who chose prayer over medicine loses second child

I think if you have a sick child pray if you want but take them to the doctor.  This is child abuse and neglect, murder really and I'm glad they are losing their other kids and hope they go to jail for a long long time.

#2    Dark_Grey

Dark_Grey

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,459 posts

• if (empty($universe)) {
    include 'reality.php';
    }

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:20 PM

So if it didn't work the first time...

Exploring your own consciousness is the fundamental right of every individual

Locking people in a cage because they choose to exercise that right should be considered a crime against humanity

#3    Midyin

Midyin

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:25 PM

They need shot...

#4    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,150 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:38 PM

I'm sure when they are sent to prison and someone knifes them they will be all for just being prayed over instead of going to the doctor.

#5    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 6,515 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:10 PM

In todays times its baffling how some people still believe that "god" will save their child, he never did it in the past and I can`t see why he would do it now....actually I do see why, because here is the proof of his non existence, but I can hear the God worshippers saying it now "but its his way and it was meant to be".Posted Image

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#6    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,572 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:17 PM

Gese people... As misguided as their actions are, they are not monsters. They didn't want to have their children die, they just bought into the bull****. I could not throw them into jail or shoot them.... But takeing their other kids away from them seems prudent.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#7    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,515 posts

• If you didn't see it with your own eyes, or hear it with your own ears, don't invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth!

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Have to agree with Seeker here, these people are not monsters. A bit of coaxing them into the 21st century would be the best option, but can`t see them accepting that. BUT there are many like them out there, so what do we do, take away their children just incase ? because exactly the same thing could happen to them too.

Its their belief and a very unfortunate event happened down to it........looking back through history and what happens today, it seems the religion and god thing has been proven to have a very very dark side.

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

#8    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,403 posts

• Just because I do not agree doesn't mean I don't understand.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:34 PM

I really would question a parent that willingly sits there and lets their child die when help is a phone call away.
I mean, didn't it EVER occur to them, even in the slightest, that maybe they should seek real help? Didn't their parenting 'instinct' urge them to take real action?

This was the second child of theirs do die...but when you look at them they really do not look like they are on planet reality.
I really do not have any sympathy for these people. Pray over your own selves if you want but when you have kids, you have a real responsibility. Even herbal medicine books have very easy recipes to help alleviate diarrhea.
But in the end it is not the religion so much as it is the stupid parents who followed along like brainless cattle. One would think they had learned their lesson, one would think they would have done something so it wouldn't happen again.

But...no one was thinking, certainly not the parents. Once again society failed the child by letting religion take precedence over reality. These people did NOTHING! Not even so much as a herbal tea or a vaporizer to help ease the breathing...nothing. They just sat on their hands and 'prayed'. Didn't do their first child any good so why would they passively think it will help another.

This sort of stuff makes me puke.

#9    freetoroam

freetoroam

• 6,515 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:54 PM

Watch a documentary about the Tsunami and there was a group of people who were adamant it was gods doing because the village people had sinned. When religion does this to peoples brains you have got to wonder what can really be done for people like this.
You do not have to look far to see the dangers religion can do.......it happens all over the world, be it parents believing god will save their child, of people believing if they commit suicide by killing a load of innocent people that they will go to 72 virgins, how about all the wars down to religion, all the lives which have been lost because of it...here in this story, are 2 more.

#10    Sherapy

Sherapy

Sheri loves Sean loves Sheri...

• 21,714 posts

• The giving of love is an education in itself.
    ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:18 PM

View PostSeeker79, on 23 April 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

Gese people... As misguided as their actions are, they are not monsters. They didn't want to have their children die, they just bought into the bull****. I could not throw them into jail or shoot them.... But takeing their other kids away from them seems prudent.

It's really not so crazy my ex brother-in-law has high blood pressure and he decided to quit taking his meds, the reason he gave when he almost died was he had 'g-d'. Surprise, surprise after 16 days in the hospital and a stroke later(which has left him debilitated, he can't read anymore- or comprehend things- he lost a lot of his memories- and he has had to re-learn so many things. ) he takes his meds now (he is college educated too.)  I suggested doing both take the meds and pray as a back up plan.

Edited by Sherapy, 23 April 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#11    shrooma

shrooma

Incorrigible Rogue.

• 3,200 posts

• Live.
    Sin.
    Die.

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostHilander, on 23 April 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I'm sure when they are sent to prison and someone knifes them they will be all for just being prayed over instead of going to the doctor.
no such thing as an atheist who's being gang-raped in a 6x9 cell.....
;-)

sometimes, your signature is worth nothing at all.

#12    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,150 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 10:19 PM

View Postshrooma, on 23 April 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

no such thing as an atheist who's being gang-raped in a 6x9 cell.....
;-)
Your probably right about that.

#13    White Crane Feather

White Crane Feather

Forum Divinity

• 10,572 posts

• Potter: " is this real or is this in my mind?"

Dumbledore: " Of course it's in your mind....., but that dosn't mean it's not real."

Posted 24 April 2013 - 04:37 AM

View PostRyu, on 23 April 2013 - 07:34 PM, said:

I really would question a parent that willingly sits there and lets their child die when help is a phone call away.
I mean, didn't it EVER occur to them, even in the slightest, that maybe they should seek real help? Didn't their parenting 'instinct' urge them to take real action?

This was the second child of theirs do die...but when you look at them they really do not look like they are on planet reality.
I really do not have any sympathy for these people. Pray over your own selves if you want but when you have kids, you have a real responsibility. Even herbal medicine books have very easy recipes to help alleviate diarrhea.
But in the end it is not the religion so much as it is the stupid parents who followed along like brainless cattle. One would think they had learned their lesson, one would think they would have done something so it wouldn't happen again.

But...no one was thinking, certainly not the parents. Once again society failed the child by letting religion take precedence over reality. These people did NOTHING! Not even so much as a herbal tea or a vaporizer to help ease the breathing...nothing. They just sat on their hands and 'prayed'. Didn't do their first child any good so why would they passively think it will help another.

This sort of stuff makes me puke.
Keep pukeing... Because its not going to stop. Unfortunately if you want to live in a free society, you have to deal with the unpleasant elements. The things that make the world better are your own choices.

"I wish neither to possess, Nor to be possessed. I no longer covet paradise, more important, I no longer fear hell. The medicine for my suffering I had within me from the very beginning, but I did not take it. My ailment came from within myself, But I did not observe it until this moment. Now I see that I will never find the light.  Unless, like the candle, I am my own fuel, Consuming myself. "
Bruce Lee-

#14    Mystic Crusader

Mystic Crusader

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

• "What would you rather be, a bus driver, or a super terrorist?"

Posted 24 April 2013 - 05:04 AM

View PostSeeker79, on 24 April 2013 - 04:37 AM, said:

Keep pukeing... Because its not going to stop. Unfortunately if you want to live in a free society, you have to deal with the unpleasant elements. The things that make the world better are your own choices.

So the children lose the freedom to live for the parents freedom to be stupid...  :angry:

Drunk with blood..
Danger cult leaders
Jewish gematria # 1162:
Who is like God
The epitome of evil

#15    Jessica Christ

Jessica Christ

jeanne d'arc, je te suivrai

• 3,607 posts

• Such an ugly feeling that won't leave.

Posted 24 April 2013 - 06:03 AM

View PostHilander, on 23 April 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

There is a balance and even if not all will see it something tells me that when you change the way you feel about wanting to see others harmed, then these parents will also change the way they feel about mistrusting modern society and science.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users