Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should Snowden be pardoned?

Patient Zero

i was just perusing the Coast 2 Coast site and happened upon a poll they set up asking the same question.

Should Edward Snowden, the NSA whistleblower be pardoned?

i sat there, hesitant to pick one of the three options which consisted of yes, no or undecided.

Ultimately i chose no.

While i applauded (for lack of a better word) the fact that he informed the world that the NSA is big brothering us, i still feel that he shouldn't be pardoned because he committed treason.

i hate the thought of the government, or anyone for that matter, violating my privacy.

However, Snowden did commit a crime and i don't think forgive and forget is an option.

Though i didn't bother with a poll for this post, i am curious as to how you would vote, given the three choices.

If the only damage he really caused is to embarrass the government yes, if besides that he has put assets into harms way: no.

• Like 1

If the only damage he really caused is to embarrass the government yes, if besides that he has put assets into harms way: no.

That's a good question.

Did his whistleblowing jeopardize national security?

It certainly gave the US another black eye and a cauliflower ear but it also opened the eyes of many, making them realize that we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto.

• Like 3

I agree with the fact he smeared egg all over the face of the gov't. For that reason they won't forgive him.

Did he break the law. Yes.

I figured he would have had a massive traffic accident by now.

• Like 2

He first fled to Red China and then Russia, somewhat atypical behavior for your average, altruistic whistle-blower, but true-to-type for a traitor. Just hang the poor wretch and be done with him.

Shouldn't this be in the politics section?

He should be pardoned because he alerted the citizens of the USA that elements of our government were breaking the law and invading our privacy, an action that I'm sure continues to this day.

• Like 8

I agree with the fact he smeared egg all over the face of the gov't. For that reason they won't forgive him.

Did he break the law. Yes.

I figured he would have had a massive traffic accident by now.

He's living on the lamb in Russia, isn't he? (i should probably do my research.)

If that's the case, i imagine master Putin has no qualms about having a US egg smearer in his country.

• Like 1

He first fled to Red China and then Russia, somewhat atypical behavior for your average, altruistic whistle-blower, but true-to-type for a traitor. Just hang the poor wretch and be done with him.

He had to go where he could feel safe since he just p***ed off the most dangerous organization and biggest enemy of freedom in our own government. I think that our own politicians made it clear as soon as he released the info and they didn't know where he was that their knee jerk reaction was firing squad.
  • Like 3

Shouldn't this be in the politics section?

He should be pardoned because he alerted the citizens of the USA that elements of our government were breaking the law and invading our privacy, an action that I'm sure continues to this day.

What are you, the topic section police?

Oh! You are... Well, i don't have my license officer... Would you consider a bribe? Ahh, why are you crushing my head?

i don't know man.

Despite the fact that he alerted the public to the NSA's corruption, he still committed treason.

He had to go where he could feel safe since he just p***ed off the most dangerous organization and biggest enemy of freedom in our own government. I think that our own politicians made it clear as soon as he released the info and they didn't know where he was that their knee jerk reaction was firing squad.

I've never known a traitor that wanted to stay around and get shot and I in no way feel my freedom threatened by over zealous information gathering by our government. Besides, they're rank amateurs compared to Google. That outfit really creeps me out! Edited by Hammerclaw
  • Like 1

Despite the fact that he alerted the public to the NSA's corruption, he still committed treason.

How? In my opinion he's a whistle blower not a traitor. Edited by OverSword
  • Like 5

How? In my opinion he's a whistle blower not a traitor.

There is a small gap between those too. It would have sufficed to show that he showed the national scandal, not also alert the Europeans that we were spying more on them then on the Russians. Just one little point. He might have started out blowing a whistle... he ended up selling out to Putin.

• Like 1

Snowden did accomplish a lot in revealing the indiscretions of the NSA, and should be commemorated for that. And, yes, any government court would fricassee him for treason. However, I think he could have made his point a lot better if he had stood up and accepted trial, instead of running to the enemy, or at best a questionable ally, as soon as it got hot. Everyone loves a good martyr, especially if the martyr showed how the government was pulling a fast one on the little guy. He shouldn't be pardoned, he should be punished, and the country should appreciate him for it.

• Like 2

Snowden did accomplish a lot in revealing the indiscretions of the NSA, and should be commemorated for that. And, yes, any government court would fricassee him for treason. However, I think he could have made his point a lot better if he had stood up and accepted trial, instead of running to the enemy, or at best a questionable ally, as soon as it got hot. Everyone loves a good martyr, especially if the martyr showed how the government was pulling a fast one on the little guy. He shouldn't be pardoned, he should be punished, and the country should appreciate him for it.

This i can agree with.

i think informing all that we're being screwed by the man was the right thing to do.

While i don't think that he should be put to death, i do think that his crime still warrants punishment.

How long a sentence? i really can't opine.

His priority was to get out of reach of the US governement. He first went to Hong Kong, where he knew that US's influence would be void for a time.

The plan then organized by Wikileaks was to seek asylum to either Ecuador or Cuba. The Ecuadorian governement was open to consider his demand and he was en route to his destination, but his passport was revoked in the transit flight through Moscow international airport. He was stuck there and couldn't leave anywhere else. Only then did Russia decided to thumb it's nose at the Obama administration and granted Snowden a 3 years permission to stay in the country.

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 3

How? In my opinion he's a whistle blower not a traitor.

While i think what he did needed to be done, it was still a crime and i can't (for reasons unknown) get over that.

Yes, we deserve to know that our privacy is being raped but i think that he could have done so differently.

Differently how? i couldn't say. Obviously, the way he chose got him screwed six ways from Sunday.

His priority was to get out of reach of the US governement. He first went to Hong Kong, where he knew that US's influence would be void for a time.

The plan that was then organized by Wikileaks was to seek asylum to Ecuador. The Ecuadorian governement was open to consider his demand and he was en route to his destination, but his passport was revoked in the transit flight through Moscow international airport. He was stuck there and couldn't leave anywhere else. Only then did Russia decided to thumb it's nose at Obama so they granted Snowden a 3 years permission to stay there.

That's useful information, thank you.

So, what happens when the 3 year permission expires?

wow, he showed that gvmnt is screweing us over, and showed exactly how, by braking the laws, and commiting crimes, now we have many of those who gvmnt was screwing over than, and continues to do so, scream traitror, hang him. he really did not have to do it, people that he warned, are too brainwashed, to see any benefit in that, he should have been quiet, keep his 6 figures job, and pay no mind to people that are willing to hang him, for trying to open their eyes, their eyes are still wide shut. i personaly would not lift a finger for these people.

• Like 2

he either gets the boot or can work on becoming a russian citizen which is probably what will happen. he was given a one year permission than a 3 I think they want him there.

He has received a 3-year residence permit in August 2014. He could possibly apply for Russian citizenship after that.

See: http://www.rt.com/ne...ssia-residence/

Snowden has stated on several occasions that he's willing to return to the US and face a trial. He just don't want to spend 100 years in prison.

What's the point for him to return if only to rot in a cell for the rest of his life? At least in Russia he has a decent job in an IT firm, he's reunited with his girlfriend and has freedom to do as he wishes. If he ever returns, it will be under guarantees of a fair trial and clemency. Otherwise he should no doubt stay where he is.

EDIT: Iron_Lotus beat me to it.

Edited by Draco20
  • Like 2

While i think what he did needed to be done, it was still a crime and i can't (for reasons unknown) get over that.

Yes, we deserve to know that our privacy is being raped but i think that he could have done so differently.

Differently how? i couldn't say. Obviously, the way he chose got him screwed six ways from Sunday.

OK. Then what should be done to the heads of the agencies which were informed on? Should they go to prison or be tried as traitors? IMO they are 1000 times the traitor to America that Snowden is. Obama out and out lied about the extent of the spying should he also be tried as a traitor?
  • Like 4

The plan then organized by Wikileaks was to seek asylum to either Ecuador or Cuba. The Ecuadorian governement was open to consider his demand and he was en route to his destination, but his passport was revoked in the transit flight through Moscow international airport. He was stuck there and couldn't leave anywhere else. Only then did Russia decided to thumb it's nose at the Obama administration and granted Snowden a 3 years permission to stay in the country.

He's not only a traitor, he's a coward and if he returns, barring a presidential pardon, he'll spend the rest his life in prison. I have no problem with the people of the NSA. They're patriotic Americans doing what they can to protect their country, and the only ones who need fear for their freedom are the ones who would harm her.

He's not only a traitor, he's a coward and if he returns, barring a presidential pardon, he'll spend the rest his life in prison. I have no problem with the people of the NSA. They're patriotic Americans doing what they can to protect their country, and the only ones who need fear for their freedom are the ones who would harm her.

Which type of traitor do you prefer, the type that undermine your rights as an American or the type that brings it to your attention?
  • Like 4