Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Thundersnow' storm in US Midwest

glorybebe

A major winter storm in the US Midwest that is already blamed for two deaths could drop as much as 18in (45cm) of snow in the states of Kansas and Missouri, forecasters say.

A 90-mile (144km) stretch of Interstate 70 and Kansas City International Airport were closed as snow fell up to two inches per hour in some areas.

Kansas state offices are closed and residents warned to stay home.

"Instead of pouring rain, it's pouring snow," one weather official said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-21541856

I hope all of you down there are safe and snug in your homes!

I experienced 'thundersnow' one time during Snowylpse a few years ago. It was awsome! I heard on The Weather Channel that it's supposed to be 'rare.'

I experienced 'thundersnow' one time during Snowylpse a few years ago. It was awsome! I heard on The Weather Channel that it's supposed to be 'rare.'

We had a half hour storm here this year. My daughter said it was lightning, and we told her that it had to be fireworks, it was near New Years Day, but then we heard the thunder. We had hail stones that were the size of marbles that then turned to snow. But it was hardly anything, nothing like this storm they are experiencing now.

Only a foot and a half of snow? Thats not that bad... oh wait. Yanks dont know how to drive in snow. May god have mercy on there souls.

No, it's Southerners that don't know how to drive in snow. When you only get it about every five years there isn't a lot of time to practice. Besides that, most of us love an excuse to stay home when the city shuts down. :tu:

• Like 2

No, it's Southerners that don't know how to drive in snow. When you only get it about every five years there isn't a lot of time to practice. Besides that, most of us love an excuse to stay home when the city shuts down. :tu:

We never shut down. Damn it! Only avalanches shut down the highways here and there haven't been that many, yet.

• Like 1

Your cities shut down? Frig, usually most of the snow is cleared on all major roads fast. Though Highway 400 shuts down, but thats mainly due to 3 snow plows driving down it to clear it.

• Like 1

Your cities shut down? Frig, usually most of the snow is cleared on all major roads fast. Though Highway 400 shuts down, but thats mainly due to 3 snow plows driving down it to clear it.

Heck yeah and most of us love it!!! It's not worth it for the city to keep enough equipment to take care of very few snows. The mountain road we live on is one of the first to shut down and it's sort of like a mini, spontaneous, romantic vacation! Depending on how bad it is, after a couple of days all of the neighbors will start getting together for parties. It's a blast!

We never shut down. Damn it! Only avalanches shut down the highways here and there haven't been that many, yet.

We are like kids waiting for the news to announce a snow day! :D

• Like 2

I know how to drive in snow... Oklahoma is a state that is by far the most random weather there is. One day it is snowing, the next day it is hailing, and then out of nowhere there is sunshine. Funny thing I used to take my truck out and skiing along the ice with full control, ice storms can be very common down here. I lost 1 of my Sun Conures to the ice storm that knocked out all power, I had to sit in my truck with my bird and keeping it warm. Funny how you say southerns don't know jack squat, we worked hard and put our back into our livelihoods. We also willing to help each other and never look out for government handouts, so don't you go talking smack about us southerners unless you met us.

Edited by Uncle Sam

Funny how you say southerns don't know jack squat, we worked hard and put our back into our livelihoods. We also willing to help each other and never look out for government handouts, so don't you go talking smack about us southerners unless you met us.

Sorry to hear about your bird.

Please show me where I ever said Southerners don't know squat or talked smack about them. Did you happen to notice where I live? I was born and raised in Georgia. Some places in the south rarely, if ever, see snow. It'd be quite a trick teaching someone to drive in snow...when there ain't none. Don't tell me about government handouts...I drive through government housing projects almost every day. Now, stay off my back, thank you.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

Heh, I've lived in the north all my life... Plenty of people drive like fools every time the snow flies. People that have driven plenty of times in snow before.

I've experienced thundersnow before. Just like a thunderstorm, cept it looks like a snowglobe instead of a liquid deluge.

Watching the news with all of the traffic jams and wrecks you wouldn't catch me out there in it.

I'd love to see more snow. It snowed here for about ten minutes this past Saturday. :D

I love thundersnow! I have only been in it a few times and it's just awesome! All the lightning was either sheet or cloud to cloud but the thunder always sounded weird...different than usual summer thunder.

I remember the very first time I experienced it, me and a couple of my friends were out and about and trying to do as much brain damage as possible and still make it home...none of us to that point had ever seen anything like it...it was weird and wonderful at the same time...

Thumbs up for thundersnow!

ti5099b914.gif