Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Montana Bill for Allowing Roadkill Passes

and-then

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/article_9fd2eb8a-77d9-11e2-be52-001a4bcf887a.html

If the senate follows suit then Montanans will soon be able to keep that elk or bear they kill with their car on the highway :)

I can hear the dinner conversations now:" Wow, this tastes great, where'd you get it?" "Oh, about 3 miles south on 471 - just past that big curve" :w00t:

if you listen carefully, you can hear cletus herding the kids into the car.....

Edited by shrooma

I should imagine that something like a bear, or an elk, would make a helluva mess of your car though?

guess there's no such thing as a free lunch after all.....

Edited by shrooma
  • Like 1

I don't think we should ridicule the fact that someone doesn't want to waste an animal carcass... I appreciate the humor, but we create enough taboos among people. I think it's much more reasonable to use the carcass, than just throw it away.

Yes, they can cause a lot of damage and create a mess. Drive down the 80/90 turnpike in Pennsylvania around Thanksgiving, you'll see what I mean.

• Like 6

"Honey, I just ran into an elk at 70 mph. All our children died, but guess what! Bringing home dinner"

Oregon uses the Deer and Elk ( only fresh kills ) to feed the homeless and poor.....It is butchered and given to a food bank.

• Like 1

I don't think we should ridicule the fact that someone doesn't want to waste an animal carcass... I appreciate the humor, but we create enough taboos among people. I think it's much more reasonable to use the carcass, than just throw it away.

Yes, they can cause a lot of damage and create a mess. Drive down the 80/90 turnpike in Pennsylvania around Thanksgiving, you'll see what I mean.

Of course! But I couldn't resist the humorous side - but the article explains very well the benefit of harvesting what is otherwise perfectly fresh meat - and in some cases a LOT of it. And at times such collisions are deadly for the car passengers as well. I saw a midsize vehicle once with the hooves of an elk sticking from back glass to windshield - the driver was killed of course :( I didn't intend ridicule of anyone - just saw the humor in the article. :)
  • Like 3

I was riding with my aunt when a rabbit ran out in front of her car and she hit it. She didn't think twice about putting it out of it's misery and taking it home to cook.

I shudder to think I would have to put down a mortally wounded animal, but hope I could do it on the spur of the moment. for the sake of the animal.

• Like 1

I was riding with my aunt when a rabbit ran out in front of her car and she hit it. She didn't think twice about putting it out of it's misery and taking it home to cook.

I shudder to think I would have to put down a mortally wounded animal, but hope I could do it on the spur of the moment. for the sake of the animal.

I've never had to, but I understand what you mean. Their suffering would be awful after such injuries.
  • Like 1

I had four encounters with medium game while driving in my life, let me tell you: buying the meat is cheaper!

This is a good law in my eyes.

A few years ago, a guy hit a deer in front of my house. As I was down there seeing if he was OK, he told me that I can have the dead deer. When the cops came, they told me that I couldn't have it and the cops took it. Not sure where it went from there. I've asked around and there is not a program to use the meat to feed the poor in my small town. I would've taken it to the local meat processor and had plenty to share.

In Michigan... the DNR (dept. of natural resources) used to be responsible for cleaning up road kills. The law has been changed to mandate that the dead animal stay put and let scavengers have it.

... I'm home honey... does this smell ok to you?

• Like 2

In Michigan... the DNR (dept. of natural resources) used to be responsible for cleaning up road kills. The law has been changed to mandate that the dead animal stay put and let scavengers have it.

... I'm home honey... does this smell ok to you?

That kind of sucks. Do they just push a dead deer to the side of the road?

This is a good law in my eyes.

A few years ago, a guy hit a deer in front of my house. As I was down there seeing if he was OK, he told me that I can have the dead deer. When the cops came, they told me that I couldn't have it and the cops took it. Not sure where it went from there. I've asked around and there is not a program to use the meat to feed the poor in my small town. I would've taken it to the local meat processor and had plenty to share.

Back in the '80s my cousin (about 22) went night hunting with some friends for deer. BIG NO NO...felony.... they shot a doe and when they were going up to claim it they realized that it was in someone's front yard. That someone turned out to be a game warden and the doe? It was his daughter's pet :( Next morning when he was being bailed out by his dad he noticed a wonderful smelling stew and asked what it was - the sheriff said - deer, it's fresh - killed just last night, want some? :w00t: He never ate deer again :)

My best friend hit a deer with her Car, She got about 50 pounds of good meat off the thing.

Also if you hit a moose, odds are it'll take your car for scrap lol.

That kind of sucks. Do they just push a dead deer to the side of the road?

ya, people, or officials, will drag them to the side of the road. And there they stay... it's sort of interesting to see the transition. Nature doesn't waste anything.

ya, people, or officials, will drag them to the side of the road. And there they stay... it's sort of interesting to see the transition. Nature doesn't waste anything.

Sounds like it would lead to more roadkill.

Not entirely sure I would be happy eating roadkill (unless we include Pheasant :yes: ) I cant help thinking of the diseases, and worm infections that could be in the muscle :unsure2: