Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The True Meaning of Life

Blueogre2

Greetings forum. Today I had a random thought that I felt was good enough to write down and share. Many people have commented on the meaning of life, most of whom are far more qualified then I am to discuss such things, but nevertheless I felt I could throw my two cents in anyway. The real reason for living is not money, or pleasure, or even to serve other people. Neither is it found in devoting oneself to a god. No, the true meaning is in letting go of ones own humanity. Allow me to explain. Everything that has every been put forward as the goal of life is actually quite mundane when examined closely. Money is nice, but it won't satisfy all your needs. Pleasure is nice but it ultimately causes you to become intoxicated and lose sight of the big picture. Serving others is nice but in the end you will find that most people are not worth the effort. Devoting yourself to a religion is nice, but it can cause you to become disconected from reality. But what is truly good? Setting your sights on greater things beyond the limits of the human condition. Attempting to evolve into a higher state of being. How is this to be done? I myself do not know, but it seems to me that it would be worth investigating. But enough about my thoughts I want to know what others think

• Like 2

interesting, but while i am here a pleasurable life and a enough money to keep me going is all I require. what I have discovered is there is no point in asking anything out of life, and certainly not relying on getting it when you do, saves an awful lot of embarrassment and disappointment. Personally, my meaning in life is to enjoy it while I can and whatever I want, try to get it myself, if i fail I only have myself to blame but still have the ability to move on.

I have come to realise I am apart of something more bigger than I can ever imagine, i am just a mere leaf on a very big evergreen tree, and as long as I respect that, then I am happy and so is the tree with me.

When my leaf falls, it is not the end of the tree, that keeps me content to know that.

• Like 1

All that would still serve no purpose and be a waste of time. Essentially, without God there is no meaning and nothing makes sense. Simple as that.

• Like 3

All that would still serve no purpose and be a waste of time. Essentially, without God there is no meaning and nothing makes sense. Simple as that.

In your opinion, if thats how you deal with life then thats just fine....but its not everyones path. Personally respecting nature and what it has to offer makes far more sense to me, but thats because I know nature can do more damage to man if hes abuses it, it can also do harm if he doesn`t sometimes, so trying to live with it and respect it is far more beneficial than relying on some figment to save you....but hey! thats just my opinion.

• Like 2

Eh, in my opinion life is devoid of meaning.

• Like 1

Greetings forum. Today I had a random thought that I felt was good enough to write down and share. Many people have commented on the meaning of life, most of whom are far more qualified then I am to discuss such things, but nevertheless I felt I could throw my two cents in anyway. The real reason for living is not money, or pleasure, or even to serve other people. Neither is it found in devoting oneself to a god. No, the true meaning is in letting go of ones own humanity. Allow me to explain. Everything that has every been put forward as the goal of life is actually quite mundane when examined closely. Money is nice, but it won't satisfy all your needs. Pleasure is nice but it ultimately causes you to become intoxicated and lose sight of the big picture. Serving others is nice but in the end you will find that most people are not worth the effort. Devoting yourself to a religion is nice, but it can cause you to become disconected from reality. But what is truly good? Setting your sights on greater things beyond the limits of the human condition. Attempting to evolve into a higher state of being. How is this to be done? I myself do not know, but it seems to me that it would be worth investigating. But enough about my thoughts I want to know what others think

I think that Jesus, Buddha and a great many other gurus and spirituals leaders have already been investigating.

• Like 2

In your opinion, if thats how you deal with life then thats just fine....but its not everyones path. Personally respecting nature and what it has to offer makes far more sense to me, but thats because I know nature can do more damage to man if hes abuses it, it can also do harm if he doesn`t sometimes, so trying to live with it and respect it is far more beneficial than relying on some figment to save you....but hey! thats just my opinion.

My point is simply the fact that one day you'll die, the earth will collide with the sun, all the stars in the universe will run outta fuel and go dark, and then there'll be nothing again just like before the universe's existance. If you find your way of communing with nature fun then more power to ya. Fact is though it's still has no meaning whatsoever.

Edited by AquilaChrysaetos
  • Like 2

My point is simply the fact that one day you'll die, the earth will collide with the sun, all the stars in the universe will run outta fuel and go dark, and then there'll be nothing again just like before the universe's existance. If you find your way of communing with nature fun then more power to ya. Fact is though it's still has no meaning whatsoever.

Maybe is hasn`t, but while I am stuck here I might as well make the most of it. :w00t:

• Like 4

The meaning of life.. is that which you give it... best to be as true to your vision of what the meaning of life is..lest you become hypocrite.... if one thing has been shown to be true time and time again... your life as you know it on this earth will one day cease.. it could be tomorrow.. it could be 100 years from now

• Like 2

Maybe is hasn`t, but while I am stuck here I might as well make the most of it. :w00t:

peace_sign_card_in_chakra_colors-p137525129870389252envwi_400.jpg

Well then, have fun! :D

• Like 1

As Frasier Crane once said, 'I suppose the best we can do is live for the little gifts and surprises life affords us.'

There's meaning when given meaning.

• Like 1

I think the true meaning of life is different for everyone.

• Like 4

Hi Blueogre2,

My life has led me back to Jesus Christ and the promise of Paradise. I'm just sharing with you my journey, and each one has to follow his or her own path.

If you care to know more why I made this life-changing decision, please follow the link:

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=240211&pid=4616464&st=0entry4616464

Peace.

Paul

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

God decides what is meaningful because he says so? Adding God doesn't make anymore sense.

In life, the only thing worth persuing & developing is our consciousness, because as far as we can tell it's the only thing we take with us when we go.

• Like 2

Here are some random thoughts. These do not necessarily reflect my opinion, but I would be interested in reading comments on them.

1. Life is a byproduct of natural evolution, therefore it has no inherent meaning.

2. The goal of life is to leave something behind for the future.

3. Anything left behind will eventually disappear, so the meaning of life is to live for the moment.

• Like 3

Our purpose in life as christians is to get to know God.

• Like 1

I believe the purpose of life is learning to regulate your own mind.

You either get there by choice or its forced upon you by unpleasant experiences including, if needed, hell.

I don't believe there is any meaning to life (in the general sense) it just had no other option then to come into existence as science follows the steps that make things evolve (be it the universe, and this planet). I just happen to be lucky enough to alive at this time and be a part of it all.

To be all that I can be, and as a consequence of that, to do all that i can do to increase the potentiality of the universe. Ie to make a positive difference to the future.

In life, the only thing worth persuing & developing is our consciousness, because as far as we can tell it's the only thing we take with us when we go.

How do you ascertain this? I would argue that it is very uncertain whether our consciousness survives our organic death.

My consciousness is a creation of my brain and the memories and thougths i have accumulated since i was conceived. When my brain, which hosts my consciousness dies, why (logically) should my consciousness be able to survive?

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 1

How are you less qualified than others to discuss the meaning of life? Are you insinuating that 'others' have more experience with life than you do..despite the fact that you have lived life? Most of mankind seeks the materialistic..(because society says that in order to be 'succesful' you must have this or that..) ..and that materialistic mindset also gives him/her value in society. You mention the people becoming intoxicated and losing sight of the 'big picture'..but what does the 'big picture' represent to you? Life eternal? Here we are on this small planet trying to justify our existence and our ultimate purposes..all of us asking questions. The question is why do we ask such questions? Why does that question exist?..why the topic in the forums on spirituality to begin with ..if mankind is not searching for an answer to his own existence? There is but ONE truth..and according to the Bible..seek and you shall find. Humankind does not belong to only to itself..but to something much greater..otherwise..why bother to question in the first place? . If this statement makes no sense to the reader..then you missed it..keep searching..and you will find your answers. The answers to the questions you ask can all be found in the word of God. Your acceptance of those words is entirely up to you! I will not debate..or post again on this topic. I see truth as self evident...and as long as your eyes are open..it always will be. The TRUTH..can only be found in Jesus and God....but they kill Christians..dont they? ..the greater question is 'why' do they kill Christians...and why is that faith such a great threat to humanity that it warrants such actions? TRUE Christianity teaches LOVE..(not the christianity that is politically motivated to garnish 'votes' for a political party)..LOVE ...is that such a threat? Think about it..and make up your own minds :)

aaaa the meaning of life. well i have spent some time in meditation and study on this . i have had an evolving opinion on it over my time. I have run the gambit of everything mentioned so far at one point in my life. I have come to the conclusion that the meaning of life is simply to decide what your life means. For me at the moment its being father.

How do you ascertain this? I would argue that it is very uncertain whether our consciousness survives our organic death.

My consciousness is a creation of my brain and the memories and thougths i have accumulated since i was conceived. When my brain, which hosts my consciousness dies, why (logically) should my consciousness be able to survive?

There's no certainty in any of this to be honest.. But there is less uncertainty of consciousness surviving death than any other aspect of our humanity.. OBE's prove consiousness survives the need of what we define as a physical presence or body.. Our Brains, therefore, are secondary to consiousness, but primary to physical consciousness.

That being said, consiousness exists outside of physical limitations rendering death unimportant in it's own survival.

• Like 1