Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Conservatism as a mental illness.

Reincarnated

Study of Bush's psyche touches a nerve

By Julian Borger

The Guardian

A study funded by the US government has concluded that conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses rooted in "fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of ambiguity".

As if that was not enough to get Republican blood boiling, the report's four authors linked Hitler, Mussolini, Ronald Reagan and the rightwing talkshow host, Rush Limbaugh, arguing they all suffered from the same affliction.

All of them "preached a return to an idealised past and condoned inequality".

Republicans are demanding to know why the psychologists behind the report, Political Conservatism as Motivated Social Cognition, received $1.2m in public funds for their research from the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.

The authors also peer into the psyche of President George Bush, who turns out to be a textbook case. The telltale signs are his preference for moral certainty and frequently expressed dislike of nuance.

"This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes," the authors argue in the Psychological Bulletin.

One of the psychologists behind the study, Jack Glaser, said the aversion to shades of grey and the need for "closure" could explain the fact that the Bush administration ignored intelligence that contradicted its beliefs about Iraq's weapons of mass destruction.

The authors, presumably aware of the outrage they were likely to trigger, added a disclaimer that their study "does not mean that conservatism is pathological or that conservative beliefs are necessarily false".

Another author, Arie Kruglanski, of the University of Maryland, said he had received hate mail since the article was published, but he insisted that the study "is not critical of conservatives at all". "The variables we talk about are general human dimensions," he said. "These are the same dimensions that contribute to loyalty and commitment to the group. Liberals might be less intolerant of ambiguity, but they may be less decisive, less committed, less loyal."

But what drives the psychologists? George Will, a Washington Post columnist who has long suffered from ingrained conservatism, noted, tartly: "The professors have ideas; the rest of us have emanations of our psychological needs and neuroses."

Source

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• Reincarnated

• John Q Conundrum

• Lt_Ripley

Another author, Arie Kruglanski, of the University of Maryland, said he had received hate mail since the article was published

Looks like the proof is in the pudding. ;)

The only thing that this proves is that the US tax payer is still being robbed blind. :rolleyes:

These guys must be a fun bunch.

The conservatives among them must beat their wives while the liberals among them must constantly lie and cheat on their spouses according to "their" study, since any study always carries bias from the authors.

And we the US taxpayers had to pay big for that unwanted and uneeded knowledge.

Edited by Bella-Angelique

The only thing that this proves is that the US tax payer is still being robbed blind. :rolleyes:

These guys must be a fun bunch.

The conservatives among them must beat their wives while the liberals among them must constantly lie and cheat on their spouses according to "their" study, since any study always carries bias from the authors.

And we the US taxpayers had to pay big for that unwanted and uneeded knowledge.

yepp that is the deal here. these type of studies are just "wellfare payments" to educated elitest. you just watch--there will be an even bigger tax-payer grant for another study--that will find --liberals are suffering form the "pollyanna -deliusion and are overly paranoid from too much grass--lol. the truth is these type of thigs are just another form of politic/ football.

Don't even get into the subject of wasting tax payers money unless you want to look like a fool. That is what the GOP is famous for.

Oh, and liberals don't waste money. Heck, all they want to do is take all my hard earned money and give it away on social programs.

Oh, and liberals don't waste money. Heck, all they want to do is take all my hard earned money and give it away on social programs.

In the last five years of Republican control the U.S. has been forced to borrow more from foreign nations than in all the combined prior history of this nation. There is no comparison.

So what do liberals suffer from then? *thinks...... snickers...... moves on* :D

Severe separation (from reality) anxiety.

:rofl:

personally i think the government well my countries government suffers form an extreme case of idiottisim. but thats just me

Wow, a study done by liberals in a liberal organization found conservatives to be mentally damaged! :o Suprise, surprise! :P

If conservatism is a mental disorder then liberalism is an outright capital offense punishable by torture, mutilation and slow public death. One good turn deserves another. :tu:

A commie is a commie is a commie. By the way, the soviet union collapsed under its own weight. Too bad all the liberals wern't under it. ;)

Since when was Bush a true conservative? The man won't even say the name Jesus on camera. The Christians are so snowed it's unbelievable. And no wonder, for Satan appears as an angel of light in their midst. That's not mental illness, that's called LOST!

Edited by Raptor Witness

Since when was Bush a true conservative? The man won't even say the name Jesus on camera. The Christians are so snowed it's unbelievable. An no wonder, for Satan appears as an angel of light in their midst. That's not mental illness, that's called LOST!

^^^^^ Quote of the day! :tu:

As long as liberals beleive the governments job is to take care of us I will have to be among the mentally challenged conservatives, for some reason I beleive I can take care of myself dont need the government to take care of me. Where did this idea come from anyway it had to be FDR and his new deal he started this trend towards a welfare state. I say drop all the government funded welfare and health care initiatives, get rid of the income tax as this is an insane concept and give the money back to the people after all its our money anyway, and let us decide who deserves help, it worked before welfare should work again. Too many people living off of our taxes.

appears as an angel of light in their midst.

I think the president of Iran called dibbs on that.

• 3 months later...

How sick am I of this p***ing contest between conservitives and liberals.

And people wonder why I take no sides and begin to care less. All this name calling and "RAWLS <insert side you hate> r sooo dum! Their policies r sooo stupid and hurts us so much!! Being a <insert side you hate> makes you stupid and part of what's ruining this country!"

feck it all really. Time to save cash then run. Why be apart of something that can't even agree on the littlest things without resorting to this stupidity of one side vs. the other.

WOW! I learned something today! Not only do I suffer from depression, but I suffer from conservatism! Where on earth do I go for help? :cry:

Just like SilverCougar, I too am sooo sick of the political p***ing contest that goes on & on & on. Can someone please pull the battery out of this dumb thing so we can get to the really important issues?!!

POLITICIANS! STOP WASTING OUR TAX MONEY ON SUCH STOOOOPID STUDIES! USE THE MONEY TO MOVE THIS COUNTRY FORWARD, NOT BACKWARDS!!!

p***ing contest is now offically over!!!**wish**

How sick am I of this p***ing contest between conservitives and liberals.

And people wonder why I take no sides and begin to care less. All this name calling and "RAWLS <insert side you hate> r sooo dum! Their policies r sooo stupid and hurts us so much!! Being a <insert side you hate> makes you stupid and part of what's ruining this country!"

feck it all really. Time to save cash then run. Why be apart of something that can't even agree on the littlest things without resorting to this stupidity of one side vs. the other.

This is precisely why I am libertarian.

Study of Bush's psyche touches a nerve

By Julian Borger

The Guardian

As if that was not enough to get Republican blood boiling, the report's four authors linked Hitler, Mussolini, Ronald Reagan and the rightwing talkshow host, Rush Limbaugh, arguing they all suffered from the same affliction.

All of them "preached a return to an idealised past and condoned inequality".

"This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes," the authors argue in the Psychological Bulletin.

Source

First of all, there is no such thing as an 'idealized past'. The past wasn't all that great. Depending on how far back you go, you will lack things like indoor plumbing, electricity in every house, telephones, radio, television, cars, etc. People suffered from horrible diseases, as well as racism and sexism. (okay, some things haven't changed...)

And second of all, I find this article has arrived at 'premature conclusions, and imposes simplistic cliches and stereotypes'! :P

Honestly, pinhead scientists can find mental illness in everyone. If you remove the shell of a hard boiled egg from the pointed end first, you have a mental illness. If you remove the shell from the round end first, you have a mental illness. If you sleep with your arms outside the covers, you're sick mentally. And on and on and on.......... :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...

Comparing Hitler (Facist), Stalin (Communist), Ronald Reagan (Liberal Traditionalist), and Rush Limbaugh (Conservative Traditionalist) to each other, is also being in a state of mental instability, talk about demonizing Conservatives.

tis B.S. is all.

Comparing Hitler (Facist), Stalin (Communist), Ronald Reagan (Liberal Traditionalist), and Rush Limbaugh (Conservative Traditionalist) to each other, is also being in a state of mental instability, talk about demonizing Conservatives.

tis B.S. is all.

Rush Limbaugh is a neo-con.

A real conservative is a person who beleives in small government and the people etc. Anyone who supports Bush is a neo-con...

====

None the less people should not be picking political sides they should be doing whats best for them.