Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I saw a shadow creature the size of a man

George Ford

Hi,

Have not been in forums for a long time due to convincing myself that shadow creatures were just a figment on my imagination. If you can find any of my old posts then you will see that for awhile I thought they were real and worked out a way to get rid of them...then I kind of realized how crazy the whole thing was BUT, I saw one last night. I heard it 1st like a deep and distant fog horn in the distance but also very close at the same time if that makes any sense. I just assumed it was a fog horn but realized it was too irregular to be one. No voices or anything like that, its possible it was a fog horn but I dont know why it would have a broken rhythm.

I then heard a light 'dragging' noise a bit like an empty plastic bag moving across the bare wood of the floor downstairs. I panicked for a split second but thought that it might be a mouse (had them in house in past) but they tend to scamper and stop and start. This was a slow movement though. I then thought it could be a snake maybe. But I live on a big housing estate in the UK. (it's cold here).

I grabbed my flashlight (I always keep a fully charged, powerful (337 lumens) flashlight on the bedside table right next to my bed). and held it ready, my heart was racing and I was WIDE AWAKE. I then really panicked hard when I thought I might have left the front door unlocked and that someone might be trying to rob me. I clicked the flash light on and at the same time put the bedside light on. I then went and shouted 'HELLO!' towards my bedroom door. There was just silence, I could feel my heart hammering in my chest and was concentrating on keeping my breathing quiet.

I went back to the bed side table and grabbed my phone and keyed in 999 but did not press call as I was still wondering if I was just imagining stuff.

After a few minutes of standing in silence, listening for anything at all and plucking up courage and convincing myself I was being paranoid etc, I went and shined the torch down the stairs from my room in one fast movement, THERE WAS SOMETHING ON THE STAIRS!

It was about 5 foot tall and a see through black mass of 'shadow', it had one arm up in front of its face and one leg up on the stair in front of it. I looked human shaped and instantly disappeared. there was no movement, it was like a freeze frame for a split second. I felt physically sick and then put the landing light on and immediately went back into my bedroom and closed the door. There is a bedroom behind me when I face the stairs from my room but I dared not even look into it. I went back to my bedside table and got the battery charger from underneath and put the spare flashlight battery on charge. My hands where shaking, my mouth was dry and I felt dizzy and sick. There is a walll of wardrobes opposite my bed and I'd left them all slight open (as normal) but felt so scared that I went and closed them and then got clothes out of my dirty clothes basket and put them infront of the doors so they could not be opened easily.

I considered phoning someone but then thought how crazy the whole things was and have not slept since. My friends came round today to jog and then use the gym and I have not said anything. I have the flashlight with me now and most the lights on in the house but I dare not even try and sleep.

I'm trying very hard to convince my self it was a trick of the light or my own shadow or an after image from light burn. But I know what those things look like it it was not any of them.

There is no 'fog horn' noise tonight yet. I feel less spooked and have decided to tell one of my brothers tomorrow. Please can people start telling me some facts and logic to help me sort this out please. Also I have my phone fully charged and ready to film if needed, dunno why I didn't think of it at the time but I was too freaked out and scared at the time.

Anyway I have my flashlight (and a spare fastened round my wrist) so I feel safe and pretty secure cos I know these shadow things hate bright light.

• Like 1

Spooky stuff. I would be sleeping with the lights and TV on, or at a friends home

Maybe your home is haunted? How old is it?

Spooky stuff. I would be sleeping with the lights and TV on, or at a friends home

Maybe your home is haunted? How old is it?

I don't think its haunted, it's an old semi-detached council house on a big housing estate, it's is only about 25-30 years old, there was only one family that live here before me and they are all still alive as far as I know but no one died in the house. In fact nothing has died in the house, I even used humane mouse traps to catch the mice that moved in a few years ago and I let them all go in the fields about a mile or so away from here.

Any history on you house, land or the area? That would really scare me. I don't know how I would deal with it. Saw something besides a ghost once and it really scared me. A one time event is one thing but all the time would make you jumpy.

I wish I could see what you saw, because I've never seen anything out of the ordinary in my life.

Has this happened only in your current home, or elsewhere? Does it only happen in certain rooms?

Has this happened only in your current home, or elsewhere? Does it only happen in certain rooms?

It happened a few times in my my mam and dads house when I used to live there. BUT I'm pretty sure most of what I experienced was just sleep paralysis back then I think as had the normal things like being in bed and not being able to move, things pulling at my limbs, things sitting on my chest crushing the air out of me. Things climbing though the window and whispering, a sense of being dragged backwards very rapidly down a vast distance to an increasing volume of noise like horrible voices etc. , Then happened here in my house a few times, a lot of it, I think, can be explained as sleep paralysis again, except for the times I was awake, but no voices or feelings of dread. The shadow things I saw in the past were small though, about the size of rats and cats. Only once was there something as big as a person and it was at the lounge door as I lay on the couch watching tv. I've drank some gin now, and I dont feel so scared now.

Did anyone else hear the foghorn?

Have you seen a doctor to rule out any medical reason for these experiences?

I'm not trying to diagnose you but this sounds like what you might be experiencing;

http://bipolar.about.com/u/ua/psychoticfeatures/ua_hallucinations.htm

Or you could just get a cross and some holy water...

• Like 2

Did anyone else hear the foghorn?

Have you seen a doctor to rule out any medical reason for these experiences?

I'm not trying to diagnose you but this sounds like what you might be experiencing;

http://bipolar.about...lucinations.htm

Or you could just get a cross and some holy water...

OMG!!! I AM BI-POLAR! Found out about 5 years ago or so and no one ever said about hallucinations!! I hear music when I'm hung over, especially in the shower, I can hear amazing music sometimes like angels singing and stuff! I used to hear my mam call my name when there was no one else in the house too!! (I don;t hear voices telling me to do stuff by the way).

Holy crap those people in the link are seeing and hearing the same things as me! This is brilliant! Thank you, if you could see the smile on my face right now knowing its not just me you would smile too!!

How come none of the CPN's or psychiatrists never mentioned that these things CAN happen?!?. They did sometimes ask if I ever heard voices but I as I never did (apart from my mam calling my name sometimes) I never said anything and they never explained why they asked.

Anyway, I now assume it was just a particularly scary waking moment with a hallucination. Maybe I was still half asleep for part of it and wondering about. Maybe I'm trying to kid myself, I still have an uncanny feeling. Maybe only people with Bi-polar can see the things?

Anyway there has been no other occurrence tonight and I've calmed down since a couple of G&T's, gonna have one more and sleep. Pretty tired. Gonna read the rest of that lnk.

Thank you. x

• Like 1

Glad I could help. I didn't want you to be afraid.

Anyway, I now assume it was just a particularly scary waking moment with a hallucination. Maybe I was still half asleep for part of it and wondering about. Maybe I'm trying to kid myself, I still have an uncanny feeling. Maybe only people with Bi-polar can see the things?

​Nope, I'm not bipolar and I've had some crazy hypnagogic hallucinations in my life.

• 2 weeks later...

When aim in bed I hear my mom call me I get up and she said she never called me. I use to hear my dad call me also but he never did.

The shadow man I saw was in the m. dle of a beautiful summer day. I had just set a protection towers in the 4 corners of my house, and when I walked back into the brightly lit kitchen, I saw a 5'5 man in profile walk past my window outside. He was "solid"black, not wispy or indistinct, he was perfect and very ******* scary.

I'm not bi-polar, but maybe people would describe me as "kinda different" .