Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Psychic trauma?

CharlieCluster7

In the movie The Conjuring, theres a scene where a story is told about Lorraine Warren experiencing something deeply traumatic while on an investigation. Does this have any basis in truth? The Warrens give a lot of lectures and interviews, and I am wondering if anyone has ever heard her talk about this.

I also heard a similar story about Jason Hawes having a traumatic experience while astral projecting which subsequently lead him into ghost investigation. But has anyone ever heard him describe or talk about exactly what happened?

Just curious.

• Like 2

I can not faithfully believe a thing out of that woman's mouth. She really is like a Sylvia Browne of the paranormal/ghost/demon/etc. world to me. That aside, even if I gave this (one part of many 'stories' the Warrens have their illustrious name involved with) the benefit of a doubt, the fact that she has spent the better part of her adult life making money off of going to investigate all of these places, almost invariably finding demons at the center of each case, how traumatic could any alleged event have really been? Not enough to go to investigation #5,782 tomorrow, I suppose.

Oh, the dramatic and their elaborate webs.

Edited by _Only
  • Like 1

I once suffered sheer traumatic boredom when using an oujia board

• Like 2

thanks, you two were a lot of help. ::eye roll::

I am quite sure there is some basis of truth in that story. Perhaps Lorrain Warrens did experience something very traumatic in that case I think it was in Canada,Quebec.

Here is an interview with Lorraine Warren about the movie 'The Conjuring' and Faith. I found it with with the help of google.

link: http://www.christian...d-faith-100225/

I also heard a similar story about Jason Hawes having a traumatic experience while astral projecting which subsequently lead him into ghost investigation. But has anyone ever heard him describe or talk about exactly what happened?

In of his book co-writted by Grant Wilson, Jason Hawes mention that after some Reiki sessions with his girlfriend, he started seeing ghostly figures for some time and that's what brought him to find answers and investigate about the paranormal after he met with Grant Wilson and started T.A.P.S.

I once suffered sheer traumatic boredom when using an oujia board

That is because people seems not to understand that Ouija boards in but a mean among others to communicate with spirits. It doesn't often work. It is only a tool to communicate and like other things can possibly do harm. In no way the Parker brother owns the spiritual world.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 2

thanks, you two were a lot of help. ::eye roll::

I thought I was being helpful. I don't believe there is truth to the warrens or any story they're associated with. Is this not what you wanted to hear?

I don't agree with that but I respect your opinion. The Warrens have been brought into extreme cases and worked alongside the Catholic church in some of these. In fact, Ed Warren is the only demolonogist recognized by the Catholic church without being a priest. I can understand that the documentation of these cases is hard to believe for many people including me. But I do not doubt their intergrity.

Of course, the Warrens were investigating in a past era, which there was not the technology available today. Some of their cases have been debunked later on with a modern view. They were also greatly motivated by their personal beliefs to investigate and helping people at that time and may not have necesserly always had an objective view.

There have been errors and mistakes, I don't doubt but a generation of investigators after them tried to learned from them and they will continue to make mistakes and there will be always rooms for improvement. Though I think it is fair to say that the field have improved ever since in some fashion. The Warrens have brought a lot to it nonetheless. They are pioneer. They have brought the paranormal to the forefront and often against themselves.

I am not comfortable with the fact that they were asking money for investigating but things were a bit different back then. No internet, all was done by hand and that was quite hardwork. They were facing challenges financially but also they had to spend the time necessery make these investigations. It is a good thing that nowadays, most paranormal investigator assume the costs, the time and the charges of work of their research and services. But as I said, the Warrens were not perfect, they are human and also passionate for what they did.

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

I just wish you heard the Coast To Coast AM episode that originally changed my mind about the Warrens. It was one of the best episodes I'd listened to, where a paranormal investigator and author (I think; it's been so long) came on as a guest to talk about the research he had done on the Amityville case and the Warrens. He claimed he had found out, with a lot of digging and prodding, that the Warrens had been very active in the original book's writing, with Jay Ansen, telling him on repeated occasions to change things to make it 'more scary', and eventually decided to tell him they wanted to market it as a true story, because 'it'll sell better'. I wish I could remember the names and details he went into, but it's been so many years. But basically, the Amityville story was a work of fiction marketed as a true story. And this is the story that started the Warrens entry into fame.

Apart from all that, I have seen Ms. Warren in action on that Paranormal State show, and you know how you can just sense what people are all about by the mannerisms they make, the look in their eye, and the things that they say? She had the air of something I didn't at all like: a dishonest person.

Edited by _Only

I think you're refering to Dr Steve Kaplan. He did some great work of debunking in the Amityville case.

In my opinion, I've no doubt that the Amityville is a hoax and that the Warrens have been caught into this story and this turmoil despite their good intentions. The Warrens claimed there was legit paranormal activity in the house, which I think is possible since a horrible murder has been made there and that it is known that Shinnecock Indians used that parcel of lands to gather the sick and insane of their tribes. So, it possible that the Lutz did experience some phenomenon and then realized the opportunity they had to make money out of it. In fact attorney William Weber confessed his part of the plan in a radio show. He claimed to have made up this horror story with the Lutz over a few bottles of wine. There is now little doubt of a hoax.

The Warrens sticked to their versions of the events and I don't think they were involved in the plot, they were merely puppets in it. They did have the feeling that there was some sort of activity going on possibly negative forces and perhaps (foolishly) gave too much of their trust in the good faith of the Lutz's accounts. Also, the priest who blessed the house, wasn't much concerned about demonic forces but thought there were maybe a legit haunting there.

If you want a great resumé of the whole affair as it is known today, go to this website:

http://www.prairiegh...amityville.html

Apart from all that, I have seen Ms. Warren in action on that Paranormal State show, and you know how you can just sense what people are all about by the mannerisms they make, the look in their eye, and the things that they say? She had the air of something I didn't at all like: a dishonest person.

I think you already had a negative opinion of her beforehand. I've seen her in some PRS episode as well and she seems a nice and kind person to me.

Edited by sam_comm

In the movie

Ok, Movies, No matter how much they claim are BASED on things that happen, if even. Best example was when in was in highschool in the 1990s, we had to do a report about Ned Kelly the famous australian outlaw. My friends decided not to read the book but watched the movie. Needless to say they got an F because the movie they saw was completely incorrect than what was wrriten down.

Movies are meant to entertain you, just some people take what they see as a true source and base their beliefs on it.

Offtopic: the thing that makes me laugh is how in tv shows or movies, present the Physics as true reliable source that should not be doubted and those smucks who don't learn their errors or suffer because of it.

Edited by Brian Topp

In the movie The Conjuring, theres a scene where a story is told about Lorraine Warren experiencing something deeply traumatic while on an investigation. Does this have any basis in truth? The Warrens give a lot of lectures and interviews, and I am wondering if anyone has ever heard her talk about this.

Just curious.

Nothing the Warrens do "has a basis in truth". As for Hawes, the only traumatic experience he's ever had was in the bathroom after all you can eat wing night at the Warwick Gut Buster Buffet.

Thanks sam_comm, your response was the only helpful and pertinent response to my question.

Concerning 'The Conjuring' according to the interview that Lorraine Warren gave to the Christian Post, she did seemed to be quite satisfied with the adaptation bearing in mind that Hollywood adaptations always propose something ''nicer'' and scarier than original stories of the kind. Sometimes events are completely changed. I'll have to agree with Brian Topp on this. Though in 'The Conjuring' it was interestign that they took the time to explain how things are basically done in an investigation and that they shoot a scene where Ed Warren actually debunk a claim of Paranormal activity in the attic of family saying that hauntings are a rare phenomenon which I think is true. So, it was interesting in that regard.

Just look a the Anabelle doll in the film (right on the picture) in comparison with the original one (left):

There is quite a difference here!the-conjuring-ew-1.jpg?w=614

Edited by sam_comm
  • Like 1

Thanks sam_comm, your response was the only helpful and pertinent response to my question.

Correction - the only one that supports my world view.

Correction - the only one that supports my world view.

I will post another topic asking if you believe in ghosts and the Warrens for you to lambast.

P.S. I expect more open-mindedness from an Eels fan.

She is a fake .i use to believe that ghost hunters was real but the girl Donna who left the group .

Said that the ghost hunters show is all staged there is a YouTube video about her telling in an interview.

It's call called taps lies

Apparently this isn't up for discussion, so to save all from any further chastisement, I suppose we wait for more facts of Lorraine's trauma.

She is a fake .i use to believe that ghost hunters was real but the girl Donna who left the group .

Said that the ghost hunters show is all staged there is a YouTube video about her telling in an interview.

It's call called taps lies

But Lorraine Warren wasn't in Ghost Hunters... So I am not sure what you mean by ''She is a fake''. As for Donna of T.A.P.S, it seems that she retracted her words later on. I think she was quite frustrated that the show didn't pay a good salary enough and had financial problems for that reason. She is right though, all Ghost Hunters show are staged, I mean we see 45 minutes of an investigation that took days to prepare and investigate without mentionning all the travels. So, we see only the cool and spooky moments and the feuds between members. We basically see the best moments of the investigations and the reveal of the evidences. That's it. It's made like a reality TV show and clearly Ghost Hunters have always been sold to us that way. There is no surprise here.

Apparently this isn't up for discussion, so to save all from any further chastisement, I suppose we wait for more facts of Lorraine's trauma.

I think that CharlyCluster7 didn't want his topic to be turned into a Warrens bashing thread. That's about it.

Edited by sam_comm

I will post another topic asking if you believe in ghosts and the Warrens for you to lambast.

P.S. I expect more open-mindedness from an Eels fan.

My mind is an open as it gets my friend. But that doesn't mean I can't spot a couple of charlatans who take advantage of folks from a mile away.

Yes she was on ghost hunters.i saw the show

I am sorry but it seems that you're mistaken about who Lorraine Warrens is.

She never featured in the Ghost Hunters show with T.A.P.S.

Her appearances on TV has been in the series A Haunting, Paranormal State, Scariest Place On Earth, and a cameo in the movie The Conjuring.

Edited by sam_comm