Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Smoking in the car 'breaks toxic limit'

smoking toxic limits car

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1    Still Waters

Still Waters

Deeply Mysterious

• 38,594 posts

• "Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." - Albert Einstein

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:14 PM

Smoking in the car, even with the windows open or the air conditioning on, creates pollution that exceeds official "safe" limits, scientists say.

Any child sitting in the back of a car when someone in the front is smoking would be exposed to this.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...health-19946656

Posted Image

#2    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:31 PM

this is just a universal war those non-smokers are waging on us :D
they keep coming on with these discoveries !!!

by the name of Allah the Gracious the Merciful
Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots
And from the evil of an envier when he envies"
truthful was Allah The Most High And Great

#3    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:36 PM

It's been illegal in my province of Canada to smoke in a car with children in it for quite a while now.
Smoking is also banned in all restaurants, bars, shopping malls, airports and most publicly owned outdoor areas like beaches, parks and even within 10 meters of a bus stop... there's quite a list.  Hospitals, you can't even smoke on their outdoor property.
It's getting to the point where behind some bushes on your own property is the only way to do it.

Edited by synchronomy, 16 October 2012 - 01:38 PM.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.
This is how deep truths are winnowed from deep nonsense. -- Carl Sagan

#4    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:44 PM

that's aweful !!!!!
smokers  need to stick a finger to these laws and start acting up to those ridiciolus laws !!!
restart revolution !

Say, "I seek refuge in the Lord of daybreak From the evil of that which He created
And from the evil of darkness when it settles And from the evil of the blowers in knots

#5    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:48 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 16 October 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

that's aweful !!!!!
smokers  need to stick a finger to these laws and start acting up to those ridiciolus laws !!!
restart revolution !
It's been decided here that smoker's have zero rights.  Step by step it's progressing towards being made illegal.

At the heart of science is an essential balance between two seemingly contradictory attitudes--an openness to new ideas, no matter how bizarre or counterintuitive they may be, and the most ruthless skeptical scrutiny of all ideas, old and new.

#6    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,147 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:56 PM

View Postsynchronomy, on 16 October 2012 - 01:48 PM, said:

It's been decided here that smoker's have zero rights.  Step by step it's progressing towards being made illegal.
It's slowly getting that way here in NY State as well. They are slowly taking away citizens' rights altogether. Mayor Mike Bloomberg is now waging a war on soda drinkers in NY City.  http://www.examiner....ed-sugary-sodas

I do have to say that smoking in a car with children is something I frown upon myself.

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#7    Hasina

Hasina

Maximillion Hotpocket Puckershuttle

• 3,048 posts

• JINKIES

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

Well, if it's the logical truth, just don't do it. Usually, I never smoke in the car, only outside my house or work.

Posted Image

~MEH~

#8    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,380 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 16 October 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

It's slowly getting that way here in NY State as well. They are slowly taking away citizens' rights altogether. Mayor Mike Bloomberg is now waging a war on soda drinkers in NY City.  http://www.examiner....ed-sugary-sodas

I do have to say that smoking in a car with children is something I frown upon myself.

Not only soda drinkers but formula feeders too.

Edited by FurthurBB, 16 October 2012 - 02:10 PM.

#9    Knight Of Shadows

Knight Of Shadows

Shadow Dancer

• 5,251 posts

• Rest In Peace A.B

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:11 PM

it's just some stupid people in power forcing what " they think " is suitable on majority of all people
they tried to ban smokes from resturants and cars and all here and public places , shops etc
although the law is vaild and still there EVERY ONE smokes in public places

these types of law needs a boot on the butt of people who's making them to knock some sense into them
smokers are here to stay :D

now where is that damn lighter

Edited by Knight Of Shadows, 16 October 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#10    Euphorbia

Euphorbia

Odd Plant Grower

• 1,273 posts

• You can't just choose to believe something.

Believing in something doesn't make it true.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 16 October 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

it's just some stupid people in power forcing what " they think " is suitable on majority of all people
they tried to ban smokes from resturants and cars and all here and public places , shops etc

these types of law needs a boot on the butt of people who's making them to knock some sense into them
smokers are here to stay :D

now where is that damn lighter

Ever hear of second hand smoke? Cigarettes and the smoke they give off are just disgusting! Non-smokers have rights too!

I have a right to not have to breath in someone else's smoke! How about I come over and spend some time farting in your general direction and see how long you like it? You just might start clamoring for rights to stop me from doing that, but that would just make you a hypocrite.....

Get three coffins ready.

My mistake, four coffins.

Separation of corporation and state!

#11    BiffSplitkins

BiffSplitkins

Vertically Challenged

• 7,147 posts

• We all have a song inside us, it tells us who we are.

'John Doeber' fellow musician

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 16 October 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

How about I come over and spend some time farting in your general direction and see how long you like it?
Posted Image

"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" -Abraham Lincoln, 1864

Posted Image

#12    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:33 PM

I love when non-smokers angrily inform me in public that smoking is bad for my health. And I always enjoy putting on my "oh my gawd, really?" face. Please worry about those quarter pounders and diet cokes you scarf down every day and let me worry about my health thank you.

#13    praetorian-legio XIII

praetorian-legio XIII

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts

• Beer; Now there's a temporary solution.

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:52 PM

View PostEuphorbia, on 16 October 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Ever hear of second hand smoke? Cigarettes and the smoke they give off are just disgusting! Non-smokers have rights too!

I have a right to not have to breath in someone else's smoke! How about I come over and spend some time farting in your general direction and see how long you like it? You just might start clamoring for rights to stop me from doing that, but that would just make you a hypocrite.....

Well you breathe in the carbon monoxide from my car, right. And I'm sure you've farted in public, right. And I'm sure you've smelled someones perfume you didn't like, right. Well its called being in public so deal with it or stay home.

#14    Cybele

Cybele

Married to the Void

• 1,432 posts

• Prick your finger it is done
    The moon has now eclipsed the sun
    The angel has spread its wings
    The time has come for bitter things

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:00 PM

View PostKnight Of Shadows, on 16 October 2012 - 02:11 PM, said:

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 16 October 2012 - 01:56 PM, said:

They are slowly taking away citizens' rights altogether.

They're protecting the peoples' rights to enjoy a healthier public environment. When you smoke in public places, you harm others' health and thereby infringe upon their rights. When you drink and drive, you risk harming others as well as yourself. Laws which restrict individual liberties for the common good are part of what make any society function, and are necessary for promoting public health. Health burdens from chronic disease caused by smoking, poor eating habits, etc., go past the individual level; they affect society economically in terms of healthcare costs and lost productivity.

Regarding the article itself...I think that if people want to risk their health by smoking in the privacy of their own home, they're entitled to do that, but once they have children who are powerless and can't make decisions for themselves, they should realize that something greater than their own health and "individual liberty" is at stake. They should try to do what is best for the child.

Edited by Cybele, 16 October 2012 - 04:12 PM.

My sig: "Cryptorchid", Marilyn Manson

#15    synchronomy

synchronomy

Psychic Spy

• 1,124 posts

• Facinating

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:01 PM

View PostBiffSplitkins, on 16 October 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Posted Image
Hilarious!
I was googling that exact picture and came back to see it's already here.

Edited by synchronomy, 16 October 2012 - 04:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users