Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Further Evidence of Dry Ice Gullies on Mars

mars mars reconnaissance orbiter dry ice gullies nasa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1    Waspie_Dwarf

Waspie_Dwarf

Space Cadet

• 32,178 posts

• We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

NASA Spacecraft Observes Further Evidence of Dry Ice Gullies on Mars

www.jpl.nasa.gov said:

Repeated high-resolution observations made by NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter (MRO) indicate the gullies on Mars' surface are primarily formed by the seasonal freezing of carbon dioxide, not liquid water.

The first reports of formative gullies on Mars in 2000 generated excitement and headlines because they suggested the presence of liquid water on the Red Planet, the eroding action of which forms gullies here on Earth. Mars has water vapor and plenty of frozen water, but the presence of liquid water on the neighboring planet, a necessity for all known life, has not been confirmed. This latest report about gullies has been posted online by the journal Icarus.

Posted Image Read more...

"Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-boggingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space." - The Hitch-Hikers Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams 1952 - 2001

Posted Image
Click on button

#2    toast

toast

President of the Galaxy

• 3,176 posts

• WARNING!REALITY ADVISORY!
    Posts by this user may contain
    statements that may offend
    publishers of pics/clips of
    supposed UFO/alien sightings.

Posted 11 July 2014 - 11:44 AM

Theoretical the dry ice on Mars might be a tool to harvest water from the Mars atmosphere. As DI has a
temperature of approx -78°C,  water vapor condense on surfaces that are cooled by DI and are placed
in an environment with air humidity and with temperatures >-78°C. The bigger the temperature difference
(DeltaT), the bigger the amount of condensed water.
There are approx 200ppm water in the Mars atmosphere, so 200 cubic meters contain 1 liter of water and air
from the Mars atmosphere must be compressed into chambers that are cooled by DI to get the vapor condensed.
As I said, thats just a theory and a lot of facts/questions must be included to judge if this method will work and is applicable on Mars. Facts/questions: DI spots should be located near to the Mars aequator regions to get the
benefit from the daylight temperatures (20°C/see DeltaT) and to generate the maximum energy from
photovoltaic devices to run the compressors; can photovoltaic devices provide the required amout of energy or
are nuclear driven devices required; will this condense method be usefull in comparison with other available methods
to harvest water; as DI sublimate, are there DI spots that are fixed to their location or do they move; if yes, the equipment must be designed to be mobile to work site independent; will the equipment match the payload
requirements of the launch vehicle/s. Is`s all still theory.

Edited by toast, 11 July 2014 - 11:47 AM.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”  - Hunter S. Thompson -
"Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my trousers!" - James T. Kirk -
"I think enormous harm is done by religion – not just in the name of religion, but actually by religion." - Steven Weinberg -  
"I am discounting the reports of UFOs. Why would they appear only to cranks and weirdos?" - Stephen Hawking -

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users