Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Egyptians in the Grand Canyon

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

#121    Total Science

Total Science

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:40 PM

Mattshark on Jun 14 2009, 06:36 PM, said:

your the one who called Darwin and Newton mythology when both theory are based on observable facts).

What observable facts tell you that the Newtonian God, divine intervention, and miracles cause planets to orbit?

The moon is not attracted to the Earth by gravitation.  

The moon falls away from the Earth at 3.8 centimeters per year.

Edited by Total Science, 14 June 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#122    Mattshark

Mattshark

stuff

• 16,985 posts

• Sea Shepherd, making conservation harder.

If you care about wildlife, do not support these pirates.......

Posted 14 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

Total Science on Jun 14 2009, 11:40 PM, said:

What observable facts tell you that the Newtonian God, divine intervention, and miracles cause planets to orbit?

The moon is not attracted to the Earth by gravitation.  

The moon falls away from the Earth at 3.8 centimeters per year.

Doesn't mean Newtonian physics don't exist. That is how science works. It develops from the original idea.

You are attracted to the Earth by gravity (well maybe not you).

Algae : Protists not Plants!

YNWA

#123    Total Science

Total Science

Extraterrestrial Entity

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 11:10 PM

Mattshark on Jun 14 2009, 06:46 PM, said:

Doesn't mean Newtonian physics don't exist.

Newtonian physics is the dominant force in Meinong's Jungle.

You are attracted to the Earth by gravity (well maybe not you).

Good thing the moon isn't because it would be catastrophic.

"The implications of employing the present rate of tidal energy dissipation on a geological timescale are catastrophic. Around 1500 Ma the Moon would have been close to the Earth, with the consequence that the much larger tidal forces would have disrupted the Moon or caused the total melting of Earth's mantle and of the moon." -- George E. Williams, geologist/geophysicist, 2000

"Currently, the moon is moving away from the Earth at such a great rate, that if you extrapolate back in time — the moon would have been so close to the Earth 1.4 billion years ago that it would have been torn apart by tidal forces (Slichter, 1963)." — Dennis D. McCarthy, geoscientist, 2003

#124    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 03:40 AM

Mattshark on Jun 14 2009, 04:07 PM, said:

That is ridiculous, they have no insight into the field.

Do you want the insight of a car mechanic if you needed brain surgery? Cos that is about the same level you have here.

Matt, some of the happiest and most rewarding hours of my life were spent sitting squarely between Dr. Isaac Asimov and one of his dearest friends (mine also), a DRY CLEANER.

They'd spend long hours discussing the latest theories and findings in genetics.

The fact that you (apparently) would not or could not have benefitted from this exchange of information does not mean that I did not.

P. S. Need I add that Dr. A. was there by CHOICE?

#125    Copasetic

Copasetic

438579088 what am I?

• 4,238 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 04:22 AM

Total Science on Jun 14 2009, 07:10 PM, said:

Newtonian physics is the dominant force in Meinong's Jungle.

Good thing the moon isn't because it would be catastrophic.

"The implications of employing the present rate of tidal energy dissipation on a geological timescale are catastrophic. Around 1500 Ma the Moon would have been close to the Earth, with the consequence that the much larger tidal forces would have disrupted the Moon or caused the total melting of Earth's mantle and of the moon." -- George E. Williams, geologist/geophysicist, 2000

"Currently, the moon is moving away from the Earth at such a great rate, that if you extrapolate back in time — the moon would have been so close to the Earth 1.4 billion years ago that it would have been torn apart by tidal forces (Slichter, 1963)." — Dennis D. McCarthy, geoscientist, 2003

You are aware that the recession of the moon from earth's orbit is due the transfer of rotational momentum from the earth to the moon, correct? You are also aware that this recession is not a linear relationship, as suggested by the quotes.......

Interestingly enough, I see you are spamming this nonsense all over the internet. You should maybe have taken the adivce of members on the DM blog. Tell me does this look familiar;

Let me explain to you the Ten Commandments of the Scientific Method:

1. Thou shalt base thy conclusion on evidence.

2. Thou shalt measure objectively, not guess subjectively.

3. Thou shalt back up thy statements with evidence — claiming something is a fact does not make it so.

4. Thou shalt use large sample numbers, not large opinion numbers.

5. Thy tests shalt be blind.

6. Thy tests shalt have controls.

7. Thou shalt cite thy sources of information for full scrutiny.

8. Thy sources of information must be reliable, verifiable, and backed up by evidence.

9. Opinion(s) is NOT fact.

10. Thou shalt not bear false witness — don’t be a J.A.M.F.

#126    Clobhair-cean

Clobhair-cean

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 07:39 AM

Total Science on Jun 15 2009, 12:22 AM, said:

No census of the natives was taken.  This is a racist myth.

No, this is a historical fact. Read the aztec accounts of the fall of Tenochtitlan, or oral Native American history. Or just look at the fact that the first European voyagers always talk about lots and lots of people and the ones coming later find no-one. Or the documented smallpox epidemics of the 18th century.

We're talking about the 19th dynasty and you have no evidence to support your claim.

Apart from this well-sourced paper I have nothing.

Irrelevant to the topic.

How do you think the museums kept the bugs from chewing up all those precious mummies? They used insecticides on them, which were made of tobacco.

#127    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 20,927 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 16 June 2009 - 12:26 AM

Copasetic on Jun 14 2009, 09:22 PM, said:

You are aware that the recession of the moon from earth's orbit is due the transfer of rotational momentum from the earth to the moon, correct? You are also aware that this recession is not a linear relationship, as suggested by the quotes.......

100%  thumbsup.gif

A simple check into the physics of the Moon will derail fact-cherry pickers. If the Moon was not affected by the Earth's gravity well, then wouldn't it have flown off into deep space soon after it formed?  huh.gif

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#128    The_Spartan

The_Spartan

Spartan Forever!!!!

• 3,753 posts

• Gravity is Arbitrary!!

Posted 16 June 2009 - 05:58 AM

Please dont derail the topic.

The topic is not about Newtonian Model or whatever but about the possibility of Egyptian presence in the Americas.

Stick to it.

Sure, if this guy is going on picking on Newton like this, it must have been a fairly heavy apple that fell on his head (not newton's head, but the user's head)

"Wise men, when in doubt whether to speak or to keep quiet, give themselves the benefit of the doubt, and remain silent.-Napoleon Hill

Follow my stupid posts on Tumblr at Azrael's Ramblings

#129    jaylemurph

jaylemurph

Lector Historiae

• 9,228 posts

• "You can lead a whore to culture, but you can't make him think." Dorothy Parker

Posted 16 June 2009 - 04:24 PM

The Spartan on Jun 16 2009, 12:58 AM, said:

Please dont derail the topic.

The topic is not about Newtonian Model or whatever but about the possibility of Egyptian presence in the Americas.

Stick to it.

Sure, if this guy is going on picking on Newton like this, it must have been a fairly heavy apple that fell on his head (not newton's head, but the user's head)

I agree with you, but be fair. If we stayed on topic, it would become even more transparent that he a) doesn't really know what he's talking about and b) can't defend his position, at least not amongst rational people.

--Jaylemurph

edit: grammar

Edited by jaylemurph, 16 June 2009 - 04:25 PM.

"... amongst the most obstinate of our opinions may be classed those which derive from discussions in which we affect to search for the truth, while in reality we are only fortifying prejudice."     -- James Fenimore Cooper, The Pathfinder

Posted Image

Deeply venial

#130    OldTimeRadio

OldTimeRadio

Government Agent

• 3,527 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:04 AM

Clobhair-cean on Jun 15 2009, 07:39 AM, said:

How do you think the museums kept the bugs from chewing up all those precious mummies? They used insecticides on them, which were made of tobacco.

I'm not disagreeing with you, but doesn't the fact that 3500-year-old embalmed human corpses have surely lost much of their nutritive value, even to insects, also enter into it?

#131    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,418 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 02:27 AM

OldTimeRadio on Jun 16 2009, 09:04 PM, said:

I'm not disagreeing with you, but doesn't the fact that 3500-year-old embalmed human corpses have surely lost much of their nutritive value, even to insects, also enter into it?

I work with the Egyptian exhibit at the Field Museum in Chicago. I can't say what precise chemicals the museum conservators use with their work, but they do occasionally enter the display cases to spray the contents--including the mummies. I'm also no entomologist, but in my time at the museum I've learned there is a wide variety of insects that would be only too happy to munch on mummies. To them the desiccated flesh is nutritional.

One of the worst things for museums is insect infestation. Nothing will damage delicate, organic relics like insects. And they work fast, the little buggers. It's a constant battle to make sure the insects stay out. Compounding the problem with mummies is moisture. That's why display cases with mummies in modern museums are carefully climate controlled. Should a mummy get moist, such as from an excess of humidity, it will quickly attract molds and fungi. At that point it can be extremely difficult to save the mummy. And to top it off, a moist mummy would be even tastier to insects.

I know many insecticides contain nicotine but didn't know they have been used on mummies. Like I said, I am not knowledgeable on the tactics of conservators, but I tried to look into it more on the Net. I couldn't find anything. The next time I come across one of these folks at the museum I'll have to ask about it. Doesn't happen very often, though--they usually come into the exhibits well after hours, of course.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#132    Jayhawklady

Jayhawklady

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:03 AM

They found the substances within the mummies, not just on the skin, etc.  They also found hashish, a Middle East chemical drug.  There are people who have found the Egyptian hieroglyphs on rocks in the Canyon.

#133    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:54 AM

View PostJayhawklady, on 10 February 2010 - 04:03 AM, said:

They found the substances within the mummies, not just on the skin, etc.  They also found hashish, a Middle East chemical drug.  There are people who have found the Egyptian hieroglyphs on rocks in the Canyon.

And you have sources for these claims, that we can check? Because I don't know who "they" are and sorry I'm not just going to take your word for it either.

Have these alleged "Egyptian hieroglyphs" been identified by an egyptologist? And also source?

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

#134    kmt_sesh

kmt_sesh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

View PostTheSearcher, on 10 February 2010 - 05:54 AM, said:

And you have sources for these claims, that we can check? Because I don't know who "they" are and sorry I'm not just going to take your word for it either.

Have these alleged "Egyptian hieroglyphs" been identified by an egyptologist? And also source?

What, Searcher, you doubt that Egyptians carved hieroglyphs in the Grand Canyon? My goodness, where's your "open mind" (i.e., wind tunnel)? :w00t:

Man, I thought this inane thread had died a well-deserved, natural death. Necroposting has reared its ugly head again.

Posted Image
Words of wisdom from Richard Clopton:
For every credibility gap there is a gullibility fill.

Visit My Blog!

#135    TheSearcher

TheSearcher

Coffee expert extraordinair

• 3,845 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 07:48 AM

View Postkmt_sesh, on 10 February 2010 - 05:42 PM, said:

What, Searcher, you doubt that Egyptians carved hieroglyphs in the Grand Canyon? My goodness, where's your "open mind" (i.e., wind tunnel)? :w00t:

Man, I thought this inane thread had died a well-deserved, natural death. Necroposting has reared its ugly head again.

I have closed my open mind with a sophisticated bollox detector, works better this way and avoid draft in wide open spaces.

I've noticed the necroposting a few times again already, someone is getting bored with the current discussions  :w00t:

It is only the ignorant who despise education.
Publilius Syrus.

So god made me an atheist. Who are you to question his wisdom?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users