Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

The End Of The World Has Begun

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1    Shabd Mystic

Shabd Mystic

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts

• "Religion is to mysticism what popularization is to science." ~ Henri Bergson

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:14 AM

The "end of the world" crowd should love this:  :yes:

Greenland Ice Melt, Measured By NASA Satellites, Reaches Unprecedented Level

Unprecedented melting of Greenland's ice sheet this month has stunned NASA scientists and has highlighted broader concerns that the region is losing a remarkable amount of ice overall.

According to a NASA press release, about half of Greenland's surface ice sheet naturally melts during an average summer. But the data from three independent satellites this July, analyzed by NASA and university scientists, showed that in less than a week, the amount of thawed ice sheet surface skyrocketed from 40 percent to 97 percent. ...

... When Son Nghiem of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory observed the recent melting phenomenon, he said in the NASA press release, "This was so extraordinary that at first I questioned the result: Was this real or was it due to a data error?"

#2    Low Mage

Low Mage

Low magic practitioner

• 3,606 posts

• Who has it all has nothing

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:42 AM

Flooding of coastlines would be catastrophic but not the end of the world.

We have had coastlines change throughout history. Nothing new.

The one thing that will stop anyone from adapting is fear but even if no flooding happened just fearing would erode the quality of our present lives.

Even if flooding does happen we will adapt as we always have.

Carry on. I feel fine.

Edited by Lookitisoneofthosepeople, 25 July 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#3    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 7,343 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

in the article it states
Goddard glaciologist Lora Koenig said that similar melting events occur about every 150 years, and this event is consistent with that schedule, citing the previous 1889 melt. But, she added, "if we continue to observe melting events like this in upcoming years, it will be worrisome."

well yes of course it would be worrisome if it keeps happening every year, but she just stated that this particular melt is consistent with the expected melt that has been going on about every century and a half.
yes climate change is a concern, but i'm a bit tired of everything being attributed to it right off the bat even though there is nothing really spectacular going on to warrant it.

Posted Image

The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but in the end, there it is.

Winston Churchill

#4    Left-Field

Left-Field

Government Agent

• Banned
  • 3,489 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:21 AM

I don't know what to make of it, but that seems pretty extreme.

From 40% ice melt to 97% ice melt in about 4 days when normally Greenland doesn't lose more than 50% of its surface ice during the summer?

I'm not a scientist, but that would seem to indicate something is out of whack.

#5    Purifier

Purifier

Psychic Eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts

• Wild Card

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:24 AM

POPULAR

Yeah you bet it has...I just noticed I ran out of chocolate cookies. Damit! Damit all to hell!

Study the past, if you would divine the future.
- Confucius

#6    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:33 AM

View PostPurifier, on 25 July 2012 - 06:24 AM, said:

Yeah you bet it has...I just noticed I ran out of chocolate cookies. Damit! Damit all to hell!

And the worse part, before running out of it, you weren't sharing.............. shame :innocent:

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#7    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• 1,353 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM

not bothered in the slightest..

back in the 80's if you spoke of climate change and greenhouse gasses etc, you were a tree hugger, or a hippy... you know what i mean?

so here we are some 20+ years later.. now the system says it's real? says it wants to introduce all the carbon tax **** to offset it... meanwhile their depleted uranium continues to fall in the middle east..

...incase you haven't worked it out yet.. it's all bull**** ;)

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#8    Emma_Acid

Emma_Acid

Government Agent

• 4,308 posts

• Godspeed MID

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:37 AM

View Postunit, on 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

back in the 80's if you spoke of climate change and greenhouse gasses etc, you were a tree hugger, or a hippy... you know what i mean?

so here we are some 20+ years later.. now the system says it's real? says it wants to introduce all the carbon tax **** to offset it... meanwhile their depleted uranium continues to fall in the middle east..

Don't you think that the future of our species on this planet is slightly more important than a damn tax, and that this may be the sort of thing we can't afford to get wrong, regardless of what "the system" (whatever that is) says?

"Science is the least subjective form of deduction" ~ A. Mulder

#9    Paracelse

Paracelse

Government Agent

• 4,074 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 25 July 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

Don't you think that the future of our species on this planet is slightly more important than a damn tax, and that this may be the sort of thing we can't afford to get wrong, regardless of what "the system" (whatever that is) says?

Truth is more important, the tax has been created to enrich few people at the expenses of the working class.  In fact dendrochronology proved that earth is cooling.  This is why Roman soldiers went in battle in tuttus and Celts were fighting naked.   The precession of equinox will make weather changes but it's not and will never be man made, unless of course some idiots pushes the red forbidden button and creates a nuclear winter.. but then it wouldn't be a warming but a global freezing. :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Those who would sacrifice freedom for security deserve neither Benjamin Franklin
République No.6
It's time for a sixth republic.

#10    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

Apparently Greenland is shedding its ice to become more green and legally comply with the trades description act...

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#11    Habitat

Habitat

Government Agent

• 3,387 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

View Postunit, on 25 July 2012 - 07:56 AM, said:

Go straight to the top of the class, first man to link climate warming to depleted uranium, I couldn't have done that, even with the help of  magic mushrooms !

#12    jesspy

jesspy

Full of Wisdumb

• 8,050 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

View PostAngel Left Wing, on 25 July 2012 - 06:21 AM, said:

I don't know what to make of it, but that seems pretty extreme.

From 40% ice melt to 97% ice melt in about 4 days when normally Greenland doesn't lose more than 50% of its surface ice during the summer?

I'm not a scientist, but that would seem to indicate something is out of whack.

Ok Ok what is whack. When is something in whack?

But the greenland thing is concerning. If they are saying a once in 150 year event I guess its ok. But why does it seem like we are having a lot of these once in a life time events this year. Like australia had a real wet summer. The winter has been warm but Canberra had its coldest winter morning in 55 years a few weeks ago. Also where are all the atlantic hurricanes?
But Does that mean there is a little bit of melt water all over greenland so its one giant slip and slide?

Mind tricks don't work on me, only money.

#13    karmakazi

karmakazi

Paranormal Investigator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts

• Mirror, mirror on the floor, am I the prettiest at the store? -BLR

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

View Postjesspy, on 25 July 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

Ok Ok what is whack. When is something in whack?

But the greenland thing is concerning. If they are saying a once in 150 year event I guess its ok. But why does it seem like we are having a lot of these once in a life time events this year. Like australia had a real wet summer. The winter has been warm but Canberra had its coldest winter morning in 55 years a few weeks ago. Also where are all the atlantic hurricanes?
But Does that mean there is a little bit of melt water all over greenland so its one giant slip and slide?

It stands to reason that if there is a 150 year cycle of extra melting in Greenland, then Greenland would not be the only spot in the world affected by that cycle.

Nothing is true.  Everything is permitted.
If video games start making sense is it a sign of the end?

The Journey

#14    Sundew

Sundew

Psychic Spy

• 1,173 posts

• Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectos Nunc

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:40 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 25 July 2012 - 10:28 AM, said:

Apparently Greenland is shedding its ice to become more green and legally comply with the trades description act...

Ha, ha, that's good! I have heard that it was called "green" land because when discovered, the southern portion has a bit of vegetation, similar to today during this warm period. I tend to believe that these things go in cycles and that much of global warming is about transferring wealth through taxation from one country to another (or the oligarchy thereof), but I am sure many would disagree.

#15    Artaxerxes

Artaxerxes

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

We can only hope.  I'm about ready to cross over and get a new body.  My old one is about worn out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users