Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * - 1 votes

Recent Bill Maher quote on taxes

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#46    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

• Hey, I'm not wrong. I'm just not completely right.

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:34 PM

View Postninjadude, on 25 March 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

since the marginal value  of income declines with the amount of income (the last $100 of income  of a family living near poverty being considerably more valuable than  the last $100 of income of a millionaire), taxing that last $100 of  income the same amount despite vast differences in the marginal value of  money is unfair.
The only reason that is considered Unfair is because someone back in history decided that the poor paying taxes when they could not afford it was wrong! :yes:

If a family living near poverty is paying only a little, and a rich family is paying a lot, how is that unfair? Your fairness would have the poor pay nothing and the rich pay almost all. The fact that the rich can afford to be taxed a lot more and still live comfortably is just a Progressive cry baby platform. There is nothing fair about taxing some nothing and others a lot.

I have no problem with taxing the rich and not taxing the poor. I just don't want to hear about how doing so is Fair and Even. Because it is not... :tu:

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#47    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:06 PM

View PostBabe Ruth, on 25 March 2013 - 08:00 PM, said:

In 2011 I paid more income taxes than General Electric did, and there is something fundamentally wrong about that.

In general terms I am against the "income tax" as it has evolved today since the adoption of the 16th Amendment from which it is derived.  When the 16th was passed, a man's wages WERE NOT considered income.  Income came from an investment such as real estate.  Wages WERE NOT income.

The income tax tends to make a person become less productive.  Why work harder, when in the end it means one pays more taxes?

It's absolutely ridiculous how much money people are paying in taxes! You know how much my husband and I's income tax refund was this year? $26
Of course, I'd take that, over paying $5,000, any day of the week, so what am I b****ing about?

#48    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,553 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Alright then what about the fair tax? Just a bigger sales tax on everything you buy with no loopholes. Everybody pays no matter what on everything you buy everyday. The rich will still pay more. We could actually use cash again. No need to keep track of receipts and write offs. No stress no worries. I'd do 20% no problem on just for the ease of it. 20% from everything somebody buys would probably bring in enormous revenue and there's no IRS looming over you.

Posted Image

#49    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,859 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:52 PM

Many people are one paycheck away from being wiped out.   One health scare, one family emergency, one more manufactured inflationary price increase courtesy of the establishment.  The best thing that they can be doing is working, and by imposing an income tax on them we're going to further demotivate them from working by taking a chunk of their already unsurvivable earnings.   Keeping the rest of the system intact while instilling a flat tax, making the bottom people pay some uselessly small amount of income tax they can't bloody afford to pay as it is, won't solve squat.  It'll give the appearance of being "fair", whatever that means.  The people successfully selling that soap to the masses know what it means.  I'll support a flat tax after the Federal Reserve banking system vanishes because the price fixing inflationary power of Washington and its Frankenstein have created a game so rigged and a playing field so uneven, the last thing we need to be doing is throwing millions of people overboard in the toxic economic environment they're living in; that's the worst idea for prosperity (or whatever the hell the goal is in advocating it) that I've heard yet.

"Peace cannot be achieved by force, only by understanding."  ~ Albert Einstein

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#50    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,859 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:55 PM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 25 March 2013 - 09:50 PM, said:

Alright then what about the fair tax? Just a bigger sales tax on everything you buy with no loopholes. Everybody pays no matter what on everything you buy everyday. The rich will still pay more. We could actually use cash again. No need to keep track of receipts and write offs. No stress no worries. I'd do 20% no problem on just for the ease of it. 20% from everything somebody buys would probably bring in enormous revenue and there's no IRS looming over you.
Sales tax on everything you buy?   On stocks?  Bonds?  Really?

"To deny people their human rights is to challenge their very humanity.   To impose on them a wretched life of hunger and deprivation is to dehumanize them." ~ Nelson Mandela

#51    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,553 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:56 PM

Wanted to add The fair tax eliminates payroll taxes too.

View PostYamato, on 25 March 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

Sales tax on everything you buy?   On stocks?  Bonds?  Really?
Yep.

Because it eliminates the IRS.

Posted Image

#52    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,553 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:01 PM

Or we can just keep our 90,000 pages of how to make you a criminal tax code we have now.

Posted Image

#53    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,859 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:46 PM

If only the IRS was our only problem, or as if it was the worst.   The worse problem are those "enormous revenues" that are feeding the beast.   One party believes that lower taxes will increase revenue.  The other party believes that higher taxes will increase revenue.  I believe, as usual, that both parties are completely FOS and the last thing we need is increased revenue.  

A 20% tax on stock/bond purchases will destroy investment in this country and tank the economy.  The capital markets will dry up and move overseas to more tax-friendly countries like Communist China.   Thinking the IRS is the extent of our problem might be appropriate for someone owing back taxes, or someone planning to cheat the code.  I've got a better idea.  Delete the IRS, and replace it with nothing.  A 20% front-end load on investment capital is a Statist's wet dream.  A terrible idea that's never gonna happen.

#54    Kowalski

Kowalski

The Original Penguin Conspiracy Theorist

• 4,102 posts

• It's All Some Kind Of Wacked Out Conspiracy....

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:09 PM

Here's something interesting.

According to an article I read:

Since the recession supposedly ended in mid 2009, the number of people who have applied for disability benefits is double the job growth figure, according the report which includes an informative chart.  In just the first four months of this year, 539,000 joined the disability rolls and more than 725,000 applied for the federal benefit. That means nearly 11 million people are on disability, according to the Social Security Administration.

Those 11 million people don't pay ANY taxes on their SSI.

Edited by Kowalski, 25 March 2013 - 11:10 PM.

#55    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:30 PM

View PostYamato, on 25 March 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Many people are one paycheck away from being wiped out.   One health scare, one family emergency, one more manufactured inflationary price increase courtesy of the establishment.  The best thing that they can be doing is working, and by imposing an income tax on them we're going to further demotivate them from working by taking a chunk of their already unsurvivable earnings.  
Thus why I would impose community service. If you don't make an income, your time is free. How is it going to kill some guy who is unemployed to go clean up the park for 4 hours a  weekend for like 8 weeks? It is not. The truely disabled could contribute in other ways or be excused.

Here at Intel we make processors on 12 inch wafers. And, the individual processors on the wafers are called die. And, I am employed to check these die. That is why I am the DieChecker.

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not cease to be insipid. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Qualifications? This is cryptozoology, dammit! All that is required is the spirit of adventure. - Night Walker

#56    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

View PostKowalski, on 25 March 2013 - 11:09 PM, said:

Those 11 million people don't pay ANY taxes on their SSI.
There have been several articles on this in the last couple years. Under Obama the SSI disability function has become the "forever" Unemployment option. There was even an article where Progressive Unemployment/SSI lawyers council people on how to get into Disability. Free money??

#57    Yamato

Yamato

Forum Divinity

• 10,859 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:42 PM

View PostDieChecker, on 25 March 2013 - 11:30 PM, said:

Thus why I would impose community service. If you don't make an income, your time is free. How is it going to kill some guy who is unemployed to go clean up the park for 4 hours a  weekend for like 8 weeks? It is not. The truely disabled could contribute in other ways or be excused.
And how would you enforce your imposition on those people?

#58    F3SS

F3SS

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,553 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

I wouldn't enforce. If they don't show up they don't get assistance.

Posted Image

#59    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:44 AM

View PostYamato, on 25 March 2013 - 11:42 PM, said:

And how would you enforce your imposition on those people?
Their name goes on a list, and when they get in trouble, whatever fines they get has this added on top. It would be too many people to police them. Would people really be more willing to do jail time and risk an even bigger fine, then do a little community service?

I know they are going to Bitsh about it, but these same people will complain no matter what is required of them. All they want is their freebies and to be left alone to their poverty (with cable TV, smartphone and internet, of course)...

Seriously though I'm talking about very little money or community service. So that people are forced to be connected to what they are using/paying for. People that actually pay taxes Think about what their taxes go for. Those that do not pay taxes do Not Think about what taxes are spent on. They have zero resources in the game.

#60    DieChecker

DieChecker

I'm a Rogue Scholar

• 18,661 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 02:49 AM

View Post-Mr_Fess-, on 25 March 2013 - 11:44 PM, said:

I wouldn't enforce. If they don't show up they don't get assistance.
I do kind of like this.

My Father-In-Law was a Pastor for like 15 years and took the Religious exemption for the SSI tax. So then his church came to an end in 2007-2008 and he started Teaching and such. Well, boy howdy... Now he's all p***ed off because he has so little SS stocked up and he's like 53 years old. I told him he was supposed to be Saving that money, not spending it, but did he listen to me... No......

If people decide not to invest in the system (As in not paying taxes) then they should not be surprised when the System doesn't help them much.

Edited by DieChecker, 26 March 2013 - 02:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users