Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Paranormal investigation and the darkness.

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#16    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,769 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:09 AM

Knowing what a spirit knows and whether sense of time is known is pure conjecture. We haven't even proven the existence of spirits let alone their mindset.
I've had oddities happen in my time for me to keep an open mind. But actual physical empirical proof yet alludes me.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#17    Aus Der Box Skeptisch

Aus Der Box Skeptisch

apologist by opinion

• 2,769 posts
  • Location:arizona (originally the wisconsin/minnesota area eh!)

• Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned.” ―Siddhārtha Gautama

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:13 AM

That said it may be that darkness could enhance physical and audio signals to our brain. Again though that's subjective I suppose. Lights off necessary? I don't know. Much more fun? Absolutely.

"Though I stand in opposition to you, I am not opposed to you. Night and Day stand in opposition to each other, but they are not opposed to each other -they are merely two halves of the same coin."

#18    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,061 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 03 May 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

I believe it that light of energy they are looking for, that can only be seen in the dark.
Light can only be seen in the dark?

Seriously?

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#19    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostAus Der Box Skeptisch, on 04 May 2013 - 06:09 AM, said:

Knowing what a spirit knows and whether sense of time is known is pure conjecture. We haven't even proven the existence of spirits let alone their mindset.
I've had oddities happen in my time for me to keep an open mind. But actual physical empirical proof yet alludes me.

I understand what you're saying, however the theory of gravity is pure conjecture, as is the big bang theory. It is a theory, the same as any other. Do you have any physical proof of gravity? It is an invisible force that we assume exists.

#20    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,061 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

View PostSimbi Laveau, on 03 May 2013 - 04:51 AM, said:

Something about energy being captured on film more easily .
What do you mean by "energy"?  That's thrown around in these forums with wild abandon as some sort of catch-all phrase for something that nobody can clearly define.

Photographic film does indeed "capture" energy.  Light energy.  Which is what it's designed to do.  As does the CCD chip in a digital camera.  And there are of course CCD chips and film that are designed to specifically capture EM energy outside of human capability, like IR cameras.

What kind of energy exactly are you talking about?  Sound transmits energy.  Electricity is energy.  Heat is energy.  Light is energy.  X-rays are energy. Etc,

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman

#21    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,061 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostAlisdair.MacDonald, on 04 May 2013 - 03:44 PM, said:

I understand what you're saying, however the theory of gravity is pure conjecture,
No, it's not.

You don't put space shuttles, space stations, communications satellites, deep space probes, etc. successfully into orbit, on long term deep space exploration missions, etc. on the basis of "pure conjecture".

#22    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

View PostArchimedes, on 04 May 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

No, it's not.

You don't put space shuttles, space stations, communications satellites, deep space probes, etc. successfully into orbit, on long term deep space exploration missions, etc. on the basis of "pure conjecture".

Yes it is. That is why it is called "The theory of gravity"..but i'm not going to go back and forth on it.

#23    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• The Proof is in the "peeas nuhhh burder"

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

OMG someone does not know the difference between theory, hypothesis and plain old guessing.  Go check out theory, it means it's pretty much a proven concept but open to further exploration.

You don't have a "theory" on spirits you have an idea that's it.  Maybe with some effort and research you could form a hypothesis, but a theory no sir.

And gravity....yah it's demonstratable....ghost's thought process not so much.

Edited by CakeOrDeath, 04 May 2013 - 06:24 PM.

What time is it? "peeas nuh burder" and Jelly time!

#24    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostCakeOrDeath, on 04 May 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

OMG someone does not know the difference between theory, hypothesis and plain old guessing.  Go check out theory, it means it's pretty much a proven concept but open to further exploration.

You don't have a "theory" on spirits you have an idea that's it.  Maybe with some effort and research you could form a hypothesis, but a theory no sir.

And gravity....yah it's demonstratable....ghost's thought process not so much.

http://www.philvaz.c...ogetics/p67.htm

#25    CakeOrDeath

CakeOrDeath

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 351 posts

• The Proof is in the "peeas nuhhh burder"

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:17 AM

If ever there was a time for a facepalm.... couple of choice excerpts hahah

1 - Gravity totally fails to explain why Saturn has rings and Jupiter does not. It utterly fails to account for obesity. In fact, what it does “explain” is far out-weighed by what it does not explain.

2 - It is not even clear why we need a theory of gravity -- there is not a single mention in the Bible, and the patriotic founding fathers never referred to it.

Absolutely priceless.... at least we have an idea where you get your source materials  hehe.

What time is it? "peeas nuh burder" and Jelly time!

#26    Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Heaven Is A Halfpipe

Conspiracy Theorist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

• Hi. My name is Spike.

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:22 AM

View PostAlisdair.MacDonald, on 01 May 2013 - 07:23 PM, said:

I open this up to believers and skeptics alike.

While investigating the paranormal, why do ghost hunters always turn out the lights?

If you're trying to capture evidence, wouldn't it be better to keep the lights on?

Or is it something about the darkness that make ghouls and ghosts more active?

We have a natural fear of the dark as human beings. While trying to be 'scientific' (i use that word loosely) wouldn't it make more sense to eliminate the possibility of one's mind being influenced by our own imagination?

Instead of taking what you see on television as gospel for what everybody does, I'd urge you to approach groups that actually take their investigations seriously and question them. Don't be another lazy keyboard warrior skeptic.

Edited by Heaven Is A Halfpipe, 05 May 2013 - 02:29 AM.

You can go the distance, you can run the mile and you can walk straight through HELL with a smile.

My UM Credentials: http://www.unexplain...5

#27    Alisdair.MacDonald

Alisdair.MacDonald

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Closed
  • Pip
  • 143 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:36 AM

View PostHeaven Is A Halfpipe, on 05 May 2013 - 02:22 AM, said:

Instead of taking what you see on television as gospel for what everybody does, I'd urge you to approach groups that actually take their investigations seriously and question them. Don't be another lazy keyboard warrior skeptic.

I'm not actually a skeptic. That doesn't mean I don't try to be scientific about things and look for all possible explanations for what people may or may not be experiencing. Personally I am sick to death of television programs on the subject. I don't know where you're basing your criticisms, but you're not even close.

I'm being lazy because I am using the appropriate forum to ask a legitimate question?

#28    coldethyl

coldethyl

~☆~Public Animal #9~☆~

• 16,331 posts

• ~*★*~I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine.
    Bruce Lee~*★*~

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostAlisdair.MacDonald, on 03 May 2013 - 03:02 AM, said:

Well. Thanks for your opinion, anything to say on the topic, or did you just come here to troll?

Actually, yeah I do.

You shouldn't post the same topic twice.

http://www.unexplain...hosts dark&st=0

Sept  14 2012

Edited by coldethyl, 07 May 2013 - 08:47 PM.

#29    nowsheflies

nowsheflies

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 36 posts

• It's showtime Synergy!

Posted 07 May 2013 - 09:17 PM

I've always believed that most paranormal investigating is done in darkness because of our reliance on our sense of sight.  In total darkness our other senses are heightened.  We tend to listen more closely, detect unusual smells quicker, etc, basically we pay closer attention to our surroundings.  Of course I have no idea if this is the "true" reason people hunt ghosts in the dark, but it's my mindset in the paranormal group I'm in.

“To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all.” ~ Oscar Wilde

After 18 years The West Memphis Three are finally FREE!

#30    JesseCuster

JesseCuster

Secret Jesus

• 3,061 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

View PostAlisdair.MacDonald, on 04 May 2013 - 04:11 PM, said:

Yes it is. That is why it is called "The theory of gravity"..but i'm not going to go back and forth on it.
No, that is entirely wrong.

The word 'theory' is merely a word.  It has various meanings.  One meaning, in the context of science, is that of a rigid framework with evidential backing to model or explain something like evolution, gravity, quantum physics, etc.  The reason people talk about a "theory of gravity" is because they are using theory in the way it is used by scientists, not in the everyday meaning some people use that means a mere hypothesis.

You are engaging in the fallacy of equivocation in which someone uses a particular definition of a word in a situation where another definition of the same word is meant to be used.  You think that because one meaning of the word "theory" is that which my dictionary describes as "a speculative view" means that the "theory of gravity" is therefore a "speculative view".  However, my dictionary also offers a definition for theory meaning "a system of ideas explaining something" which is the context in which scientists use the word.  You are using the wrong definition in this context.

Anyway, you didn't actually adress my overall point.  If the theory of gravity (there isn't a single theory BTW, sometimes Newton's theory is used even though Einstein's is superior because Newton's theory is simpler and works perfectly fine in non-extreme situations) is "pure conjecture" then how do the things I mentioned above - space probes, moon missions, etc. work?  You can't put a man on the moon, land a rover on Mars, calculate planetary orbits, use a gravitational slingshot to re-aim a deep space probe, etc. on the basis of "pure conjecture".

Edited by Archimedes, 07 May 2013 - 11:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users