Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Rock Apes

bigtoot vietnam sightings

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#46    Conrad Clough

Conrad Clough

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

Given that various types of crested gibbons do inhabit Veitnam, I would be surprised if at least some rock ape reports were not missidentifications of them, however many rock ape sightings have elements which seem to make it unlikely that a Gibbon was the creature witnessed. First Rock Apes, while smaller then a person are almost always said to be larger than a gibbon (which tops out around 3 feet tall), second they are often described as being encountered in groups while gibbons are rarely found in groups larger than two (one male and one female, gibbons take manogomy to a whole new level), third they are often encountered on the ground... gibbons are arboreal apes and rarely come to the ground, on those occasions when they do come to the ground gibbons walk in a very distinctive manner with arms raised above thier head, a readily noticable detail lacking in the reports I have read.

Since many of the sightings include these elements, which do not apply well to gibbons, simply writing rock apes off as gibbons would be premature (and an over-simplifacation IMO).

#47    QuiteContrary

QuiteContrary

BugWhisperer

• 4,900 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 08:42 PM

View PostConrad Clough, on 08 May 2012 - 02:14 PM, said:

Given that various types of crested gibbons do inhabit Veitnam, I would be surprised if at least some rock ape reports were not missidentifications of them, however many rock ape sightings have elements which seem to make it unlikely that a Gibbon was the creature witnessed. First Rock Apes, while smaller then a person are almost always said to be larger than a gibbon (which tops out around 3 feet tall), second they are often described as being encountered in groups while gibbons are rarely found in groups larger than two (one male and one female, gibbons take manogomy to a whole new level), third they are often encountered on the ground... gibbons are arboreal apes and rarely come to the ground, on those occasions when they do come to the ground gibbons walk in a very distinctive manner with arms raised above thier head, a readily noticable detail lacking in the reports I have read.

Since many of the sightings include these elements, which do not apply well to gibbons, simply writing rock apes off as gibbons would be premature (and an over-simplifacation IMO).

Good points. But I had to ask.

Edited by QuiteContrary, 08 May 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#48    odiesbsc

odiesbsc

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

• Some folks drink from the fountain of knowledge. Some folks just gargle and spit it out.

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:17 PM

View PostQuiteContrary, on 08 May 2012 - 06:20 AM, said:

One rendition (tattoo) of a rock ape the veteran refers to as a "female rock ape (gibbon)". Females blonde and males black.
http://www.lzrussell.org/misc/tattoo/

@Odiesbsc, are their any similarities at all to the gibbons that inhabit the area?
Only you know what you saw, not me. But my inclination is to search for real animal possibilities first. So, I hope no offense taken. You may be done talking about this anyway.

I don't know the difference between a rock ape and a gibbon. I just told you what I saw and what we called em'. When I left there I just kinda forgot all about em' until I went back for my second tour.

To answer Even's question, I saw the apes all the way from Dong Ha which is almost on the DMZ all the way south to ChuLia. They were in the mountain or hilly areas with lots of vegatation. I suppose the locals talked about them but I don't know for sure. We had other things on our mind.

Odie

Edited by odiesbsc, 09 May 2012 - 07:23 PM.

As you slide down the water slide of life, may none of your swimming suits give you a permanent wedgie.

~Ancient Polynesian Greeting~

If the teacher has no DNA testing apperatus, you're probably safe blaming the booger you wiped on her computer screen on someone else.

~American Defense Lawyers' Ethics Training Book for Children~

#49    Farmer77

Farmer77

Psychic Spy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

• "Science has done its utmost to prevent whatever science has done" - Charles Fort

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Odie, Thanks for your reply and your service. Your story lines up exactly with many that i've read. Considering what you all were there for it's understandable that you wouldn't think twice about these creatures. What I don't understand is with so many people telling nearly identical stories why haven't the "professional" cryptozoologists done more to research these creatures?

I don't suffer from insanity, I rather enjoy it

#50    Stardrive

Stardrive

Resident Bass Guitarist

• 3,221 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Another thing that doesn't fit with typical gibbon behavior is the reported rock throwing. Chimp's and gorilla's have been known to throw rocks, gibbons I didn't find anything on......

I agree though, this one should be looked into further by a professional.

Posted Image

Also tagged with bigtoot, vietnam, sightings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users