Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * - - 2 votes

Curiosity rover finds ‘flower’ on mars

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31    Slave2Fate

Slave2Fate

Bloodstained Hurricane

• 6,193 posts

• If you don't believe the sun will rise
    Stand alone and greet the coming night
    In the last remaining light -Audioslave

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:33 AM

View Postpsyche101, on 08 January 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

What I do not get is there is a lab on board Curiosity - SAM. Can we not scoop it up and have a good look at it? Vaporise it and see what happens maybe? (BREAKING NEWS New volatile substance found on Mars. Curiosity mission suddenly over)

What I find most interesting is that it is the second anomaly in that very area.

You know what they say! Curiosity killed the cat!

What the hell the cat was doing on Mars in the first place I have no idea...................... :unsure2:

But I agree. It does look very geological in nature. More like a polished and perhaps metallic surface.

I don't know how much success they would have trying to get a scoop out of stone, I thought their mechanism for gathering testable material was more in the order of obtaining 'soil'? I don't know the full load out of the devices on board Curiosity though, they might have something that could do the trick. It would definitely be interesting if they could manage it though. :tu:

"You want to discuss plausibility then you have to accept reality." -Mattshark

"Don't argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience." -Obviousman

You know... the plural of ``anecdote'' is not ``data''. Similarly, the plural of ``random fact'' is not ``mystical symbolism''. -sepulchrave

#32    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,273 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Don't they have a Laser that they can blast at things?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#33    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

I don't know what it is, just going by the picture, although where there's water there's almost certainly life in some form, even in "extreme" environments.  

Of course, I'm the first to say that there are all kinds of "anomalies" out there in space, and on this planet as well, and I have good reason to be skeptical of all official explanations of these matters.

#34    Lava_Lady

Lava_Lady

Official UM Asylum Resident

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

• Wha? /:0\

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

It looks a lot like sand stone of which there is an abundance where I live

Attached File  sandstone.jpeg   65.43K   2 downloads

" Sandstone is a clastic sedimentary rock made up mainly of sand-size (1/16 to 2 millimeter diameter) weathering debris. Environments where large amounts of sand can accumulate include beaches, deserts, flood plains and deltas"

From geology.comAttached File  sandstone.jpeg   65.43K   2 downloads

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function."  - F. Scott Fitzgerald

#35    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,035 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

View PostPhoenixBird88, on 06 January 2013 - 12:03 PM, said:

I see nothing interesting. I just looks like a crystal formation peaking out of that bed of rock. Its crazy the things people "see" in these Mars pics.

It looks like a kalinite crystal.

#36    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,035 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 08 January 2013 - 12:19 AM, said:

I believe life may have started there and seeded earth, there is the Mars rock found with organisms,even though there is a debate.  Mars has the largest volcano in our solar system,it may have exploded ending life`s bacteria before it got started.  

http://spider.seds.o.../marsrocks.html

You've said that before, but if anything ended life on Mars in a catastrophic way (if that's how it happened) then it must have been an impact or a multiple impact, and sent bolides into space.

Edited by Abramelin, 08 January 2013 - 12:22 PM.

#37    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,035 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 08 January 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Yeah, but those damn Martians shoot back !!

#38    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,035 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

And as always there are those who are convinced NASA is holding back information, and that something truly mysterious is going they refuse to tell us.

It's like a hypochondriac going to an appointment with his general practitioner to hear the results of some tests, and then the GP tells him, "It's not clear. We should do some more tests". The hypochodric will think, "OMG, I've got cancer but he won't tell me !!"

#39    docyabut2

docyabut2

Poltergeist

• 2,795 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostAbramelin, on 08 January 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

You've said that before, but if anything ended life on Mars in a catastrophic way (if that's how it happened) then it must have been an impact or a multiple impact, and sent bolides into space.

Could`nt a Volcano of that power send rocks into space?

#40    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,035 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

View Postdocyabut2, on 08 January 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Could`nt a Volcano of that power send rocks into space?

That's what's being suggested here:

The craters are notable for being two of several suspected source areas for shergottites, the most abundant class of Martian meteorites.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Olympus_Mons

But Olympus Mons is a shield volcano, like the Hawaiian volcanoes, and as far as I know they don't erupt in a violent way like a Pinatubo, Tambora, Toba, Krakatoa, Thera and so on. That's also the reason they can grow so large.

And the question was whether it could have ended life on Mars. If that was true, we would have a lot of troubles here on Earth. It's not a formation like the Deccan Traps that must have wiped off the dinosaurs and much else (as is now also thought, instead of 'just' the Chicxulub impact).

Edited by Abramelin, 08 January 2013 - 01:42 PM.

#41    mfrmboy

mfrmboy

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

• Beam Moo Up!

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Looks to me like there are other pieces scattered around in the pic. I would haft to say it's some sort of rock.

Would'nt you just love to see a lizzard poking it's head out of one of those cracks.

One man's TOOL is another man's TOY ! :tu:

#42    SpiritWriter

SpiritWriter

5:55

• 3,153 posts

• No two caterpillars share the same cocoon.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

View Postseeder, on 06 January 2013 - 03:41 PM, said:

Yeh but bear in mind NASA didn't call it a flower...it was someone at ATS according to the story.  but if you see the full sized raw image here

http://mars.jpl.nasa...1000E1_DXXX.jpg

and do a diagonal to the top right corner at full zoom, it looks like there is another 'bit', so most likely just something crystalline in the rock...

seriously tho - what does anyone expect to see? Daffodils?

Thanks I couldn't zoom in on the other one. It sure isnt a flower but cool regardless.

The letter kills but The Spirit gives life. 2 Corinthians 3:6

Non-ambiguity and non-contradiction are one sided and thus unsuited to express the incomprehensible. -Jung

#43    keithisco

keithisco

Alien Abducter

• 5,181 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

... could be Mica, Quartzite, Calcite, Andesite  etc etc Would be interesting for Curiosity to perform a more detailed analysis, but there are probably other Mission Priorities ahead in the queue

#44    seeder

seeder

Nut Cracker

• 7,376 posts

• Never forget that only the weak fish swim with the stream, and a lie travels half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

View Postmfrmboy, on 08 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

Looks to me like there are other pieces scattered around in the pic. I would haft to say it's some sort of rock.

Would'nt you just love to see a lizzard poking it's head out of one of those cracks.

I expect, as on earth, the movement of the rover and noise etc will scare any living creatures away..if there was any to start with that is!!

Im really quite optimistic/hopeful that this year, 'something' will be found on Mars thats really newsworthy...and not just water or other kinds of liquid either... dont ask me why... I just feel that with the rover being the hell of a machine that it is...and all its gadgets... somethings gotta be found and revealed..

and no - I DO NOT think they will keep anything a secret, even if, as some hope for, they find ruins!

It's not the depth of the rabbit hole that bugs me... It's all the rabbit poop you stumble over on your way down...
“It's easier to fool people - than to convince them that they have been fooled.”  Mark Twain

#45    psyche101

psyche101

Conspiracy Realist

• 28,243 posts

• If you stop to think, Remember to start again

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

View PostLord Vetinari, on 08 January 2013 - 08:32 AM, said:

Indeed it can, from Wiki

The general sample analysis strategy begins with high resolution cameras to look for features of interest. If a particular surface is of interest, Curiosity can vaporize a small portion of it with an infrared laser and examine the resulting spectra signature to query the rock's elemental composition.

I figure the same, we could try to vaporise it, but as I said, if it is a new substance, and it is volatile, we might see a quick end to the mission LOL.

Things are what they are. - Me Reality can't be debunked. That's the beauty of it. - Capeo 'If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.' - Sir Isaac Newton. "Let me repeat the lesson learned from the Sturrock scientific review panel: Pack up your old data and forget it. Ufology needs new data, new cases, new rigorous and scientific methodologies if it hopes ever to get out of its pit." Ed Stewart. Youtube is the last refuge of the ignorant and is more often used for disinformation than genuine research.  There is a REASON for PEER REVIEW... - Chrlzs. Nothing is inexplicable, just unexplained. - Sir Wearer of Hats.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users