Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Reincarnation

MoonBaby

I have a question that I would like for you people to dissect grin2.gif. OK, if reincarnation really is so, why do we not remember our past lives? If we did remember (and I'm talkin' a full blown memory type thing) what would be possible reprecussions(sp?) of that?

Edited by MoonBaby

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• MoonBaby

• Druidus

• BurnSide

• Falco Rex

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If we could remember?

Well, have you ever seen Family Guy? Think of Stewie. original.gif We'd all be intelligent talking babies and instead of growing up and sharing life experiences with loved ones, we'd talk about our past life expirences!

'Yeah, well, 432875 past lives ago i was a TYRANNOSAURS yo!!'

We don't remember, if they do indeed exist, because the memory is stored not in the spirit, but in the living brain. And when the body dies, so does the brain and the memory of life.

Thats why I cant figure out how we're the same person. Its the memory that makes the person. You can clone yourself but ur clone will be completely different than you because he lives a different life than you.

Why can we not have a spiritual memory as well as a physical memory?

Accually, there are cases of seemingly past life memories that were saved in "spirit memory".

What would the point of reincarnation be though? Why would the creation of souls just suddenly stop? (assuming all this is real)

Could it, possibly, bear with me... be a kind of cellular memory? Something in our junk DNA or something, which gives us this memory, which is passed down through each generation?

Edited by Stellar

I posted a theory that could explain it. I don't feel like reposting it so if you want to read it got to "My thoughts on ghosts"

Well, have you ever seen Family Guy

You rock. Me, my husband and our best friend have a mon-thur nightly ritual of watching that. I was going to start another thingy about the god that Bender meets in Futurama but...

instead of growing up and sharing life experiences with loved ones, we'd talk about our past life expirences!

That's kinda what I was thinking. Like, if you had a good experience in a past life but this life sucked, all you would do is sit and fester about how horrible it is now, and vice versa. If you have a good life now but had a ****ty one in the past, you might just sit and whine about how bad it used to be. Just a thought...

heheh.

we would all be stewies, arrghh!!

and think about this! what if we woke up, being of course, born, and saying:

'eww! what ugly parents i'll have in this life! screw that!' and then you could commit suicide, and move on to your next life. hahahah. weird, but hey, if we could remember past lives and knew they existed, why not!?

What would the point of reincarnation be though? Why would the creation of souls just suddenly stop? (assuming all this is real)

Your looking at it from a conventional point of view. Imagine, for a moment, that there are many realms and that in each realm you reincarnate. You may reincarnate as anything, on any planet. The point of reincarnation is to learn enough to move through the realms, and eventually reach a "heaven-like realm" in which you achieve pure bliss. That's my view on the world.

If you'd like my crackpot opinion I go into it in detail on the pinned topic but basically I believe your consciousness moves on to wherever it goes to after death, while the energy that animates you is absorbed back into some sort of collective energy pool,call it "God" if you will..

This collected energy generates new souls. Since that energy lives with people their whole life it can't help but absorb some of their intelligence and memories. Sometimes people will recall some of a "Past Life," but it's not really their past life and it's not the same soul. It's merely a fragment of memory left over in what ever piece of the collective energy that person was born with. This explains why some people have past life memories and others do not..

It also solves one problem standard Reincarnation theories can't. With the population increasing where would new souls come from if we're all being recycled?

The answer to me is that we aren't of course, we're merely using bits and pieces of energy that others have already posessed. The soul you posess now is uniquely yours and will never be owned by another. But a thousand years from now maybe someone will use your cast off energy and gain a small fragment of your memory, and maybe they'll think they were you in a past life just like some believe now..

Oh well, that's just my point of view.. wacko.gif

Your looking at it from a conventional point of view. Imagine, for a moment, that there are many realms and that in each realm you reincarnate. You may reincarnate as anything, on any planet. The point of reincarnation is to learn enough to move through the realms, and eventually reach a "heaven-like realm" in which you achieve pure bliss. That's my view on the world.

I didnt mean stop literally, I meant it as an extreeme example to show what I mean. Why was it at one point that every new life was a new soul, and then suddenly every new life here on the Earth is a reused soul? Or if you think theres still new souls, what cancelled the creation of new souls?

With the population increasing where would new souls come from if we're all being recycled?

Plants and other worlds.

Pure bliss: what do you mean by this? And realms, is that the same as dimensions?

I hope that one day i can sit around with all of the friends I've made throughout my lives, smoke a bowl while bull****ting about what we've done in our past lives. grin2.gif

we would all be stewies, arrghh!!

I want a little Stewie in a bottle that I can carry around with me. I'd make him come back with all the smart ass comments I might need.

Edited by MoonBaby

Plants and other worlds

At some point even other worlds(assuming they even have intelligent life) would have had a tiny population as the dominant species started out. That still doesn't explain the discrepency...

Plants? blink.gif

i guess for the most part many of us don't.

about a couple of months ago there was a story on abc's 20/20 about a 6 yr old boy who seems to remember a past life.

since he was two he had nightmares about being trapped in a plane and he would tell his parents, "the man can't get out"

he was always drawn to planes and especially wwII american planes. he would identify a certain make,(can't remember which one) and would know the specs on the plane and his parents swore he hadn't seen any war books or movies.

by age 4 he was talking about an aircraft carrier, name escapes me again, and naming people on it.

his dad who didn't believe such things finally did some research, found the aircraft carrier, confirmed the names the boy had told him, and then asked the boy who he thought he was, the boy told him james, and sure enough some of the old navy pilots who were still alive confirmed a pilot named james had gone down over an island in the south pacific and his plane had crashed into the ocean, and the body never recovered.

there were other very specific things the boy recalled which no one but those who served ont he ship knew.

it really seemed the boy had been a pilot in the pacific in wwII, and had died a traumatic death.

maybe it takes that type of death to rememeber anything, but then millions have died traumatic deaths and only a few talk about past lives.

i also remember reading a story in the fortean times about an indian man who died and then regained consciousness in another body, that of a much younger man miles away in another indian village.

maybe, some are able to keep the imprint of the past life with them when they pass, and for the most part, the rest of us don't.

The theory goes that memories and experiences are stored in the Akashic Record (I think that's how you spell it.)

original.gif

Yep that is the right spelling,

The Akashic records theory quite easily covers the 'past life memorys' phenominon without needing there to be actual reincarnation. The memorys and personalitys of those past people still being a part of our collective subconsious means that all it would take is for an individual to have an affinity with a particular person in the past and subconsiously access that record.... which would seem to them to be memorys of another life.

It also accounts for the fact that you get dozens of people claiming to be the reincarnation of notable people such as cleopatra or napolion for every one who claims to have had a past life as Hose smith the one legged sheep farmer. The higer profile of popularised people will automaticaly draw more people to it than someone whom history has basicaly forgotten, therefore more people develop an affinity with it and access it.... leading to them thinking it wwas their past life! (Thats only dealing with those who actualy do have access to memorys rather than the far mor prevelent flights of fancy by the over imaganitive and cynical fraudsters)

Note that if the Akashic theory is true, it doesn't preclude the existance of reincarnation, it just means that proof of past memorys is not proof of reincarnation.

Personaly I do believe that a portion of the energy that makes us who we are, can end up in another life after our death, but that we take neither memory nor personality with us.... we may have more of an affinity with that past life in the Akashic than anyone else but thats all.

I posted something along the lines of what Fenris just said earlier without using the word "Akashic Record." That was before I'd read the explanation of what that was exactly. Now that I know the name for it, it falls neatly into place..

By way of example, I'm going to do something that I rarely do and share a personal experience..

My friends and I once knew a Woman who claimed to be able to read past lives. I was told that I was the reincarnation of the Emperor Tiberius. Somehow, I failed to be amazed. While we do share an overall gloomy and cynical disposition, and I've always been fascinated with Rome, I highly doubt that a former ruler of the world would be happy with an existence as a New Hampshire Truck Driver.

Believers in standard reincarnation theories would use the similarity between our natures to say that Woman was correct about me I beg to differ..

It seems far more likely that I would identify with strong personality archtype left in the Akashic Record than the possibility that I used to be somebody famous..

Like it was said before, there can't be 500 Napoleans walking around at one time..

Hmmm this is true.

Although I've been fascinated by Past lives, never had any regression or readings done..

I know I'm not going to find a Cleopatra or Boudicca. That's not why I've not had it done..

But find out about ordinary people would be to my mind more fascinating

Edited by Celti

There's no reason you shouldn't have it done. It would be fun if nothing else. And the off chance there just might be something to it makes it worth doing..

Bring a friend though, you should never be hypnotized alone for obvious reasons..

I didnt mean stop literally, I meant it as an extreeme example to show what I mean. Why was it at one point that every new life was a new soul, and then suddenly every new life here on the Earth is a reused soul? Or if you think theres still new souls, what cancelled the creation of new souls?

Alright I'll explain my beliefs. We all come from the highest realm, called "The Source". To make an analogy, it's a giant flame and it's sparks are our souls, whilst it's embers are the other realms. We are thrown into the lowest realm, and made to reincarnate and learn until we get higher and higherin the realms. Eventually we may become Gods (not really, we wouldn't be immortal, just means we could affect the lower realms). Eventually we reach The Source and we live there, in the perfect realm, for quite a time. It's very pleasant. Eventually though, we are cast out again into the lowest realm, to live and experience the realms again, learning more and more. The Source can supply souls if they are needed. You could also think of the source as a raincloud. Raindrops are souls and puddles are realms. Also, the reason overpopulation exists is because of extinction of other animals and plants. The souls need to go somewhere and they go to us, as well as the 10 Billion livestock animals. That's my view.

Well, the real thing I have a problem with in reincarnation is the whole soul thing. In the beginning, when life was beginning, the first beings/planets/animals whatever were created with their own soul right? then the next generation is created the same way, and the one after is created the same way... but now, why did the first generation's souls get created, and later on, those souls just occupied the new bodies? What happened to the soul that was in that body?

Now... while we're still talking about reincarnation... let me propose something new... maybe there is only 1 soul...

also accounts for the fact that you get dozens of people claiming to be the reincarnation of notable people such as cleopatra or napoleon

hmmmm. And here Moe thought that this was narcissism.

oh, to be important.

I like the theory of the Gaia. It was made popular by FF, but has been around since the ancient chinese.

Bascially, everything has a spirit. The blades of grass we walk on. The pebbles on the beach. The mountains and the trees in the forest, and yes, the earth itself. The earths spirit is called the Gaia, and it is not merly one spirit, but many millions of spirits forming a collective.

When something on the earth is created, such as a seed or a baby, a spirit is plucked from the Gaia and when this thing dies it returns to the Gaia. So the spirit is constantly reincarnated.

Well, the real thing I have a problem with in reincarnation is the whole soul thing. In the beginning, when life was beginning, the first beings/planets/animals whatever were created with their own soul right? then the next generation is created the same way, and the one after is created the same way... but now, why did the first generation's souls get created, and later on, those souls just occupied the new bodies? What happened to the soul that was in that body?

Now... while we're still talking about reincarnation... let me propose something new... maybe there is only 1 soul...

Perhaps the bodies were created first?

I like the theory of the Gaia. It was made popular by FF, but has been around since the ancient chinese.

Bascially, everything has a spirit. The blades of grass we walk on. The pebbles on the beach. The mountains and the trees in the forest, and yes, the earth itself. The earths spirit is called the Gaia, and it is not merly one spirit, but many millions of spirits forming a collective.

When something on the earth is created, such as a seed or a baby, a spirit is plucked from the Gaia and when this thing dies it returns to the Gaia. So the spirit is constantly reincarnated.

I believe in Gaia, in a slightly modified way. thumbsup.gif