Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bats fear the moon

Still Waters

Moonlight scares bats into hiding in the shadows, new research suggests.

Scientists in Mexico collated studies of bat behaviour from all over the world and analysed them for evidence of "lunar phobia" or "fear of the moon".

The study found that the activity of bats in moonlit habitats decreased on bright nights compared with bats that live and forage in darker places.

This may be explained by a higher risk of predation and lack of feeding opportunities in moonlight, it found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19719986

• Like 1

I wonder if a sonic bat call, and subsequent pheremone release would attract a bunch bats to a well lit (by moonlight) area. Have to ask Mr. Wayne about that I guess.

• Like 1

Maybe its instinct.... the fact that warewolves react accordingly to the moon... lol

Maybe its instinct.... the fact that warewolves react accordingly to the moon... lol

Nice Avatar man, pretty bad ass pic of Bison. :tu:

• Like 1

Thats because they don't like the sun. They probably don't like flashlights either, I would assume. Bats eat fruit in the dark! :)

Nice Avatar man, pretty bad ass pic of Bison. :tu:

Thanks! Not many people know who that is.

Guys, forget the bats...

The avatar is bad ass!! Those that know, know.

Love the Bison-Vega-Balrog pic MidKn13ght :)

If they are afraid of the moon it looks like they would stay away from yard lights.

Moonlight scares bats into hiding in the shadows, new research suggests.

Scientists in Mexico collated studies of bat behaviour from all over the world and analysed them for evidence of "lunar phobia" or "fear of the moon".

The study found that the activity of bats in moonlit habitats decreased on bright nights compared with bats that live and forage in darker places.

This may be explained by a higher risk of predation and lack of feeding opportunities in moonlight, it found.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/19719986

so we are calling this fear? i call it an instinctive reaction to light affecting feeding opportunities.

bats don't really have too many nighttime predators up in the sky. maybe owls? if so then i'd think they would fear the owl not the moon

Guys, forget the bats...

Speaking of avatars, yours is looking pretty spiffy lately Junior Chubb. I like the wardrobe change.

Thats because they don't like the sun. They probably don't like flashlights either, I would assume. Bats eat fruit in the dark! :)

Fruit apparently tastes sweeter In the night according to 2 Belgen :yes:

• Like 1

Speaking of avatars, yours is looking pretty spiffy lately Junior Chubb. I like the wardrobe change.

Cheers Idano :)

Got to stay looking sharp, due for a change today though.

brain proberly cant comprehend using his visual stimuli as it depends on its hearing. proberly gets disorientated when visually over stimulated.

Guys, forget the bats...

lol thanks! looks like someone knows their street fighter :tsu:
  • Like 1

Nah I've led plenty bat walks via torchlight and they've never bothered once. Could it just be that hatchings of wee beasties tend to happen more on muggy, cloud-covered nights? That said I've seen bats out in all weathers. Well not ALL, very wet or windy weather tends to keep them snuggled up in their roosts.