Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Help Needed Computer Problem

Beckys_Mom

I wonder if anyone here can help me out..

Each time I have a movie downloaded, and I go to convert from MP4 to AVI, the computer knocks itself off ...What can I do to sort this problem out?

What program are you using to convert? What are your PC specs?

When you say 'knocks itself off' does the whole PC just shut down or give you a blue screen?

Do you notice any loud fans in the PC before this happens?

• Like 1

What program are you using to convert? What are your PC specs?

Format factory ..I updated it from version 2.5 to 3.0.1 and still the same thing ..It never used to do it on 2.5..The spec is what I need to check...

When you say 'knocks itself off' does the whole PC just shut down or give you a blue screen?

It completely shuts down

Do you notice any loud fans in the PC before this happens?

No I haven't heard any loud fan noises.. But I did clean out all the vents and fans, clearing away all dust...

Is it converting the entire file before it shuts down? If so, make sure that this 'feature' didn't get enabled somehow.

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/26816-format-factory-automatically-turn-off-computer-after-conversion

If the program continues to give you problems try to completely uninstall it using the Control Panel / Add remove programs(programs and features)

I've used this one in the past with no issues.

AVS Video Converter

• Like 1

Is it converting the entire file before it shuts down? If so, make sure that this 'feature' didn't get enabled somehow.

http://en.kioskea.ne...fter-conversion

It is shutting down after approx 5 mins of starting, so the whole file is not converted

If the program continues to give you problems try to completely uninstall it using the Control Panel / Add remove programs(programs and features)

I've used this one in the past with no issues.

AVS Video Converter

No problem, I'll give that a go...I'll come back later when I get more of a chance and let you know if it has done the trick..

Cheers Biff

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

Unless you're planning on burning it, just install VLC and it'll play the film no problem.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

Unless you're planning on burning it, just install VLC and it'll play the film no problem.

I love VLC, but the past year since installing a music production plug in, it's been playing up. :td:

(I know exactly what the problem is and there is nothing I an do about it)

I love VLC, but the past year since installing a music production plug in, it's been playing up. :td:

(I know exactly what the problem is and there is nothing I an do about it)

That's a shame, it's a good player, but not as light as it has been in the past.

• Like 1

That's a shame, it's a good player, but not as light as it has been in the past.

Well it's the other softwares fault really, but the other software is fine. So it;s only VLC being affected. Had the same problem on 2 different OS installs and tried everything, until i figured out the problem.

I have VLC player.. What I want to do is, convert it to AVI so I can put it on to my pen drive and play it on my TV

It sounds like a problem with your power supply. The problem being it can't provide enough power over a certain amount of time or during or as a result of a high load process like this file conversion. As a result, it cuts out completely. Resulting in your computer then turning off.

• Like 1

I have that happen too and I have a 650w power supply for a computer I know doesn't require nearly that, and it has happened with Format Factory but a few other programs as well. My issue is that the fan has stopped working in my power supply. I didn't know it was possible, but the power supply can work for over a year (like mine) without a working fan. Not a good idea, but it can.

I have enough airflow and other fans and heatsinks in my case and generally not enough workload that my computer does not produce enough heat to require much of such a large power supply, but when it DOES need it, the power supply simply can't handle it, and it shuts down. It did it a couple of hours ago while I was doing nothing, simply because it has warmed up here, and it just overheated because of ambient temperature.

My PC works best when it is cold in here. I've gotten it to fully convert files by turning the heat down, taking the side off the PC and pointing a high powered fan directly into it while it converts. I know it sounds like one of those "recharge your batteries with a pickle" troll science pranks, but I verify this firsthand.

Either you or a computer-savvy friend needs to take the side(s) off your computer and boot it up and make sure all your fans are running, especially the power supply - mine runs occasionally but stops then starts again. There are also many free programs like Speedfan that will display the temperatures of various internal components of your computer, such as the CPU, Power supply, memory, fans - providing the sensor leads are connected properly.

Edited by Paranormalcy
  • Like 1

No I haven't heard any loud fan noises.. But I did clean out all the vents and fans, clearing away all dust...

Automatic shutdowns happen when your pc overheats or if something isnt plugged in properly.

Check your memory cards are fully in, your fans are plugged in and when turned on they're rotating.

• Like 1

I have VLC player.. What I want to do is, convert it to AVI so I can put it on to my pen drive and play it on my TV

Ahh. If you look on Cnet, they have loads of free converters of all kinds.

• Like 1

Most of which come with adware or malware. Cnet is not what it used to be.

BM - is there a possiblity that there was a windows update recently that updated your video card drivers? I have seen cases in the past where Microsoft thinks it can write a better driver than the actual manufacturer's driver. Once the MS driver is installed it wreaks havoc on the PC.

Also, have you tried some of your other software to see if your computer crashes while using it?

• Like 1

Aye but you just have to choose not to download the extra software. It is annoying but it's still a decent site for software.

• Like 1

Main reason is codec problem, second might be Player.

Try this: Codec pack

or download this player far better than anything out there and it is free.

Had the same problem for .mkv files.. everytime i wanted to watch any file that ended with .mkv computer turn itself down...at time i thought it was virus but it wasnt.

I cant explain how does that work, that file can shutdown a computer, but if both solutions dont work.. let me know.

• Like 1

search google for "Any video Converter" this is the name of the app, it converts everything and it's free, no watermarks or anything, maybe a little ad when you hit converte

• Like 1

It sounds like a problem with your power supply. The problem being it can't provide enough power over a certain amount of time or during or as a result of a high load process like this file conversion. As a result, it cuts out completely. Resulting in your computer then turning off.

I have that happen too and I have a 650w power supply for a computer I know doesn't require nearly that, and it has happened with Format Factory but a few other programs as well. My issue is that the fan has stopped working in my power supply. I didn't know it was possible, but the power supply can work for over a year (like mine) without a working fan. Not a good idea, but it can.

I have enough airflow and other fans and heatsinks in my case and generally not enough workload that my computer does not produce enough heat to require much of such a large power supply, but when it DOES need it, the power supply simply can't handle it, and it shuts down. It did it a couple of hours ago while I was doing nothing, simply because it has warmed up here, and it just overheated because of ambient temperature.

My PC works best when it is cold in here. I've gotten it to fully convert files by turning the heat down, taking the side off the PC and pointing a high powered fan directly into it while it converts. I know it sounds like one of those "recharge your batteries with a pickle" troll science pranks, but I verify this firsthand.

Either you or a computer-savvy friend needs to take the side(s) off your computer and boot it up and make sure all your fans are running, especially the power supply - mine runs occasionally but stops then starts again. There are also many free programs like Speedfan that will display the temperatures of various internal components of your computer, such as the CPU, Power supply, memory, fans - providing the sensor leads are connected properly.

@ Orcseeker and 'Paranormalcy... My power supply in my computer is an 800w, so I thought that would be enough.... I did check all the fans in the computer, except the one in the power supply, so I will have to give that a check and report back to let you guys know

Automatic shutdowns happen when your pc overheats or if something isnt plugged in properly.

Check your memory cards are fully in, your fans are plugged in and when turned on they're rotating.

Yes everything is ok with those

Most of which come with adware or malware. Cnet is not what it used to be.

BM - is there a possiblity that there was a windows update recently that updated your video card drivers? I have seen cases in the past where Microsoft thinks it can write a better driver than the actual manufacturer's driver. Once the MS driver is installed it wreaks havoc on the PC.

Also, have you tried some of your other software to see if your computer crashes while using it?

Yes, it only crashes with this one programme - Format Factory

Main reason is codec problem, second might be Player.

Try this: Codec pack

or download this player far better than anything out there and it is free.

Had the same problem for .mkv files.. everytime i wanted to watch any file that ended with .mkv computer turn itself down...at time i thought it was virus but it wasnt.

I cant explain how does that work, that file can shutdown a computer, but if both solutions dont work.. let me know.

I must take a wee look at that Codec Pack and let you know...

Thanks for that, I will be sure to look at that

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Hmm yes Forgot to mention overheating can cause it to switch off to avoid damage to your computer. However the PSU could still be faulty.

Have you tried installing the program speedfan as mentioned by paranormalcy?

Run the program and the other one which makes your computer crash and report back any high temperatures you see and we will check if it is high enough for the computer to switch itself off.

Don't convert to AVI, that takes up a **** ton of space on your computer. Convert it to SWF Format(takes up the least Disk space) with Wondershare Free Video Converter.

It could just be tw CPU overheating with too high load. Converting video takes a lot of CPU power.

If the program uses the GPU as well then the issue could e with that.

5 mins and turning off under high load is characteristic of overheating. You could run a diagnostic on temperatures while you try to convert to see where the issue is. Probably the easiest thing to rule out too.