Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

When is capital punishment is justified?

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,790 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:16 AM

View PostlibstaK, on 19 August 2012 - 12:42 AM, said:

I agree with your first statement in this thread, if murder is illegal then the state cannot conscionably kill a person as punishment.
Why not? Capital punishment isn't murder.

BTW murder by definition is illegal.

#17    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:21 AM

View PostArbenol68, on 19 August 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

Don't know about the US, but here and in the UK the definition of insanity is a legal one, not a medical diagnosis. Very simply, the defence must show that the perpetrator was impaired to a degree that they didn't know what they were doing was wrong. An example of this would be if someone suffered a psychotic disorder and believed they were attacking a demon or alien etc...

It doesn't include any disorders of personality.

There's a legal definition too. It means a mental disorder, but doesn't include personality disorders. (I think it should.)

View PostlibstaK, on 19 August 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

I'm not sure if that is a rhetorical question but in my mind when a person can diminish the value of another's life to the point they feel they have some "justification" for taking it then they have entered into a mindset that cannot be logical or sane.

Logic is different from sanity, however. American legislation defines an insane person as someone with a psychopathological disorder, even though a murderer might not have one.

Posted Image

#18    Realm

Realm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,965 posts

• "The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
    Albert Einstein

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:51 AM

I think if more people saw what people did to other people they would be for capital punishment.

Here's an example of a girl tortured for 44 days, and her killers only served jail time and are free.

This is where an eye for an eye should apply. This could very easily be anyones daughter, and I have three.

http://blog.makmoden.com/?p=677

#19    Rlyeh

Rlyeh

Non-Corporeal Being

• 8,790 posts

• Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

I have no problem against capital punishment, those who are poison to society could be dragged off to a dungeon and disemboweled for all I care. They are utterly worthless as a human being and a member of society.

Edited by Rlyeh, 19 August 2012 - 08:06 AM.

#20    FurthurBB

FurthurBB

Government Agent

• 3,357 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 05:56 PM

View Postjacobstiles, on 18 August 2012 - 03:14 PM, said:

How can we know if capital punishment is right or wrong? Where do we draw the line?

Feel free to voice your opinion.

Personally, I think capital punishment should be reserved for crimes against humanity.

#21    TheMacGuffin

TheMacGuffin

Government Agent

• 4,159 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

since I am from the U.S., I have never really questioned it, although it recent years we have had all these cases where persons who were convicted later turned out to be innocent.  In general, the people who get railroaded like this are poor, working class or lower class, members of minority groups--the type of people who can't afford much in the way of a legal defense.  There is a bias by social class and color in the U.S. legal system and society as a whole, which is well known to anyone who looks at the history and present-day realities.  If they can face the truth, that is, but many people simply cannot.

For that reason, I have no doubts about the death penalty, but not that there are a number of killers in society who should be executed.  Even if they are sentenced to death and not executed, they will usually never get out of prison, for there is no parole or time off for good behavior with a death sentence.  They just spend the rest of their lives on death row, with no possibility of ever getting out.

In the vast majority of cases in the U.S., the execution is not carried out, at least not for many years, so I'm convinced that the death penalty here mostly operates like a sentence of life imprisonment.

#22    The Mule

The Mule

Beast of Burden

• 4,004 posts

• Is there concrete all around, or is it in my head?

Posted 19 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Certainly Charles Manson should have been executed instead of being on the state budget for 40plus years.

Posted Image

...never let a little thing like a fact get in the way of a good theory!

...arguably the worlds smartest mule!

#23    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 07:52 PM

I think anyone who prey's on children should be put to death.

#24    Supersquatch

Supersquatch

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

• Supersquatch powers, activate!

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:03 PM

View PostRealm, on 19 August 2012 - 06:51 AM, said:

I think if more people saw what people did to other people they would be for capital punishment.

Here's an example of a girl tortured for 44 days, and her killers only served jail time and are free.

This is where an eye for an eye should apply. This could very easily be anyones daughter, and I have three.

http://blog.makmoden.com/?p=677

This is an absolute horrible failure of the justice system. 20 years? They deserve life! Life in prison might actually be worse than being executed! I don't know if lack of capital punishment is the problem here, in general, it is the justice system!

Posted Image

#25    tyrant lizard

tyrant lizard

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:15 PM

I believe some people should be made to suffer. Serial killers, spree killers, child molesters, and serial rapists should be hurt for what they've done.

I think they should rot in a Spannish Inquisiotion style dungeon that doesnt know the meaning of human rights. Or give them to the families of the victims of their crimes, let them decide

Oh, and of course burglars should be beaten to death on sight of you find them in your house

#26    Viviana98

Viviana98

Paranormal Investigator

• Closed
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:42 PM

View Posttyrant lizard, on 19 August 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

I believe some people should be made to suffer. Serial killers, spree killers, child molesters, and serial rapists should be hurt for what they've done.

I think they should rot in a Spannish Inquisiotion style dungeon that doesnt know the meaning of human rights. Or give them to the families of the victims of their crimes, let them decide

Oh, and of course burglars should be beaten to death on sight of you find them in your house

I just don't think its fair for them to put me at risk for possibly getting a capitol punishment charge by releasing these types of people back into my neighborhood because I'd have to seriously do some harm to anyone who molested my child and in my opinion it would be totally just and right for me to do so. So not only are they putting my children and everyone else's kids in arms way, they are putting the parents of the children in bad situation. In my opinion the government should be held criminally responsible for putting these people back on the street.

#27    supervike

supervike

Alien Abducter

• 5,357 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:43 AM

It's probably never really justifiable.

However, it also probably an effective final punishment.

#28    Likely Guy

Likely Guy

Undecided, mostly.

• 4,032 posts

• "The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Posted 20 August 2012 - 03:48 AM

If there was such a thing as the perfect judicial system, I could be swayed to the pro-capital side (in certain cases).

#29    Purplos

Purplos

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,552 posts

• Everything important is infinite.

Posted 20 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

I don't believe the justice system should be punitive. I believe its purpose should be to prevent crime. If someone murders someone and is likely to do it again, they should be kept away from society by whatever means necessary -- and least expensive -- whether that is lifetime imprisonment or death.

Embrace the impossible.

#30    WoIverine

WoIverine

Telekinetic

• 6,716 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

Rape, molestation, murder of an adult, or child (if it can be proven beyond reasonable doubt, or if there is a confession) = capital punishment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users