Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Local Legends in your area!

Knowledgetruthfreedom

What are local legends in your country, state, town, or area that you know, or have heard of? I am curious to see if any are similar in diffrent parts of the world to others.

Ill start, I live in colorado springs, Colorado. Theres a place called Helen Hunt falls and its said that if you go up there late at night and look, ull be able to ghost lights popping up and zooming around! Ive tried looking for them first hand, but i havent had any luck, bet yet the legend persists.

So if anyone has any legend that they know of, id be glad to hear it!

-Mateo

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Columbo

• Carrie Anne

• Rory

• TheLikeness

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There's a bunch of schools here that are supposed to be haunted.

We have "The Holy Cross" which is this abandoned hospital thing for WWII and theres a bunch of tunnels under there, most of them are caved but lots of people say they've "fallen though the concrete" and landed in one of the tunnels. :S. It could happen AT the holy cross but just in random places in town I doubt it, my brother fell through the floor at the holy cross once though when he was 15.

Thats defently fasinating! Theres also this road by colorado springs, known as gold camp. It used to be the old stage cotch road from denver to colorado springs to cripple creek. You can only go on part of it now though, due to the fact that there are tunnels that are caving in so that is restricted to vechles and has a walking trail that goes around it. On the part you can drive on, there are two tunnels that can be entered with a car. In one it is said if u go in and turn off ur head lights that when u come back out there will be a hand print somewhere on one of ur car windows, another is that if u are in the same tunnel and look out to the entrance and just stare, the light from the entrance will almsot start seeming as if it goes in and out...(very weird, ive seen it myself) but perhaps it is just mind tricks. The hand marks on the windows might just be from the teputure change as the car enters the tunnel, there fore revieling the grese of somone who had placed there had on the window at a later date and left a print. All in all it is still an interesting experiance and i hope to hear more from others.

-Mateo

I don't know if merpeople are urban ledgends, but its the only paranormal thing thats happened near where I live.

It was in a place called skiningrove, the locals found a merman floating near the surface when fishing, they caught it, brought it back to the village and fed it fish. The merman also preferred the company of women rather than men. When the vicar or bishop came he tried to talk to it the creature, it didn't understand, the holy man then began to torture the merman. A few days later the merman escaped and the locals watched it swim away.

well heres one, a friend told me about it, its an african legend, most popular in gabon...its a spirit that covered itself in "paille"("paille" is in french, sorry I dont know how to say it in english, someting like hay I think huh.gif)and it wears a mask for a face, they say it goes to funerals and to never look it in the eye...its called the moukoukoue...

I think there are a few legends here in Morocco...Ill ask my parents.

hope my english was ok... tongue.gif

I live in an area that is surrounded by unexplained and supernatural happenings, There is the Mothman for instance, the curse of Chief Cornstalk, who as he was dying cursed Point Pleasant that bad things would always happen there.I live across the river to Point Pleasant, where also during the time of the Mothman there were reported ghost lights in the sky and and heightened poltergeist activity,Another place not far is called Athens, OH there are too many legends to name there, one is about the grave of a warlock who was killed a long time ago by the towns people, it is said that if you lay upon his grave and put your head where his is supposed to be(because it is believed the way to kill a warlock was to cut off his head and put it between his ankles.)that you will die exactly a year later on that date. There is also five cemetaries that on a map form a pentagram, Athens was rumored to at one time have been the occult capital of the eastern seaboard.There are numerous hauntings there and an angel statue that is in a cemetary that has been seen moving and crying, if you look up Ohio legends and folklore Athens in particular there are some creepy things.

I wouldn't consider this a urban legend, at least for the legend part:

Near the are were i live there's a big lagoon, we call it in Portuguese, "lagoa da

ervedeira" wich means something like "the grasser lagoon" this lake is said to have a hole in the center that leads to the sea, a lot of ppl died there, mostly drowned and i remember that they once told me that a guy was shredded into pieces by a boat near the center, they say ppl that go too near the center cant come back cos they're grabbed by something that pulls them to underwater, anyway, some say that happens cos of large grasses underwater that grab ppl legs others say that is the hole, but maybe i was the one that was closer to the thruth.

the last time i went there i was swimimg and my knee hited something hard (at the time i tought it was a rock) and as i started to bleed i felt what could be one underwater plant touching my wound, i went outside and i cleaned the wound then i went back to try to remove the rock so that no one else would get hurt,

u can imagine how i felt when i came back to the exact same spot and i didn't found anything, i even searched around it and there was nothing there.

what it might be i will leave it to your imagination.

Edited by Bahamut_0

wow, those are all awsome stories!! I think they could account for Urban Legends? None the less there great stories and i hope to hear more!

Theres a place in Colorado Springs known as "Garden of the Gods" It has huge rocks that have pushed up through the earth millions of years ago, making it a wonderful site. Now on a deeper level this place is belived by some, and belive me iv walked there at night and have seen people practacing "occult rituals." Its belived by some that this place is somthing or a "hell mouth" leading into hell. I have a friend that worked there one summer, he patroled the area and made sure that no one would try climbing the gigantic rocks and hurting them selves (500 dollar fine). He told me a story that sopposidly happend to someone he knew. Theres a story that some type of being(s) live there and if ur not carful and you come face to face with it, u better run. I guess its best descibed as a demon. Anyways, my friends, friend was there one night with some of his friends, they were laughing and messing around. Haveing a good time. He said he went into the bushs a little while and remerged screaming with dread and pain. When his friends found him his arm was covered in blood. Apperently sections of his skin had been riped clear off. So they took him to the hospital where they asked how it had happend, and he said he had walked a little ways away and out of no where in fast instant he was bleeding all over and was in lots of pain. They then associated it with the mystrious being that is sometimes sited at night, with glowing red eyes, so forth. Other friends have claimed to see it in forested areas of colorado springs. But who knows what happend in Garden of the Gods that night, for one they were all drunk, and two, it was dark. And if it is true then I guess its up to you to figure out how it happend that all the skin on his arm suddenly got torn off!?

-Mateo

I don't really remember any urban legends in my area...we have the crescent hotel, but I'm not sure if that counts as an urban legend...

theres one in my area, which i think may still be alive:

there is supposed to be this house (not sure where) nd these people live in it (about 15 - 20 people) nd the dress up as clowns. they go out during 1-2 in the afternoon and look for kids who r on their lunch break and they slit the kids cheeks to make it look like they're smiling nd if the kid trys to smile their cheeks will rip open and spill blood everywhere

Well i live in Winchester, well near abouts. In the south of England. Well we have a rather famous tramp, called Burping Ron who wanders the streets of Winchester, burping at women. This is true, as ive had a personal experience. :unsure: Well anyway he pushes a pram around town, full of junk and being hobo-ish, even though he has a house at the top of town. Apparently he is a millionaire just posing as tramp...for some reason.

Theres also apparently a big cat that lives near to where i live. oo exciting! Umm...also theres a road called Kiln Lane that is meant to be extremely haunted with ghost cars and a screaming woman. :mellow: Theres also a load of other ghost sightings around this area. But not very many urban legends... :no:

Edited by ArtemisArcheress

a mental guy running naked down the street (i created that) just kidding i heard one school is haunted by a dead family

Edited by NJC

Oh, dang, these are all great stories!

Are there anymore?

-Mateo

My brother wanted me to say that everyone thought a girl at their school went off to join SOuth Korean army. it was a lie of course.

The good folks at Tuttle Crossing Mall in Columbus, Ohio breathed a sigh of relief towards the end of April 1998 when phone calls about the horror story then circulating on the Internet began to decrease. It began to look as though they had finally put the damaging old rumors behind them.

As the stories went, a female shopper had left the mall to return to her car and found she had a flat tire. As she set about changing it, a man in a business suit approached and offered to help. She accepted, and together they installed the spare tire without incident.

When they were finished, the helpful businessman asked the woman for a ride to his car, which he said was parked on the other side of the mall. For some reason his request made the woman uncomfortable, so she politely declined. He became insistent. Fearful of his intentions, the woman told the man she had more shopping to do and fled back into the mall, where she reported the incident to security officers.

Later, when she went back to her car accompanied by the officers, the "good samaritan" was nowhere to be found. Since the deflated tire still needed repair, she drove to a nearby garage, where a mechanic noticed that that the tire had been slashed with a knife. It was also discovered that the man had left his briefcase in her trunk.

"She opened it," the story concludes, "and the only things in it were some rope and a butcher knife!"

Link, but it's proven fake here

In a quiet west-side neighborhood of Columbus Ohio, lies a small neatly kept cemetery. surrounded by a low, gray stone wall with a plain, spiked iron fence erupting from its top. This quiet cemetery hardly gets a second glance from passers by, or from the school children that play in the adjacent schoolyard, but this ground has quite an interesting and tragic story to tell. It is the final, resting place of 2,260 Confederate soldiers.

During the bloody years of the American Civil War, Camp Chase served as a primary training camp for the Union Army. As the war wore on, Camp Chase was used as a prison camp to hold captured Confederate troops. The camp officially became a prison on July 5, 1861, when the first group of prisoners arrived from western Virginia. Camp Chase was known as one of the worst prison camps of the era, with terrible conditions and severe over crowding, the camp held up to 9,425 prisoners. More than 2,300 men died here of malnutrition and disease, 2,260 of them were buried in the camp cemetery, in long rows of graves marked by simple stone tablets. With so much heartache and loneliness in its past, it is no wonder that this cemetery has witnessed a long history of strange occurrences.

One of the more persistent and recurring apparitions, is that of the "Lady in Gray." The specter of a young woman, dressed in a lady's gray traveling suit, a typical fashion for women in the late 1860's, is seen walking through the cemetery. Her head held low, she appears to be weeping. By some accounts, she has been witnessed walking through trees, tombstones, and even disappearing through the stone wall surrounding the cemetery. The "Lady in Gray" is thought to be the spirit that frequently leaves flowers at the head of one of the graves. These mysterious (fresh) flowers have been seen many times over the last 130 years, and always at the same grave stone. On several occasions, local residents have reported hearing the sounds of a woman weeping forlornly, coming from inside the enclosed plot, when patrolling police officers have investigated, no one is ever found.

this link,

We have a two headed,six legged Fox that prowls the night.

One half of it is normal but the other is disfigured and evil.Its two extra limbs barely touching the floor,narled up and mutated.Its bad head always fighting with the good head.

It lives somewhere in Crane Park,only coming out at night to go through rubbish and is even rumoured to of killed a few cows recently. mellow.gif

I live in North East UK, not much happens. Whitby's not far off, a few stories from there but I know not of them.

My band practices in a boxing club, that place is the scariest place ever. Last time we heard breathing from the back behind a curtain, today I heard women walking down stairs and talking (the back parts are all locked), then we started to receive some German talking through the guitarists amp - I never knew it was possible to pick up any German radio on an amp, did you? There's an air about the place.

However, I'm open minded about ghosts unless I'm having an encounter, I'd rather tell myself I didn't see a ghost and carry on.

Apparently a man commited suicide by jumping off a bridge in midday, landed dead center in the middle of a schools playground. Yes, it was breaktime. I can't verify this sadly, but I remember hearing it somewhere around here.

Here in New Mexico (and West Texas) there is La Llorona (pronounced Yorona).

Supposedly a woman murdered her children and chopped them into pieces. She threw the pieces into the Rio Grande.

Now she is doomed to walk the river banks, irrigation canals, etc., looking for her children because she can't enter the afterlife/Heaven/whatever until she locates them.

Now, I'm not saying the legend is true, but many people have reported hearing the sound of a woman crying around waterways just after sundown.

Well, I'm in New Jersey, and there is alot of weird stuff here. (Weird NJ Magazine) The biggest legend, of course, is The Jersey Devil. But I'm not really familiar with any particular tales from close by.

About 45 minutes from where I live now there is a an old burned-down mansion with a very creepy history. It's called Corpsewood and it's supposedly haunted. Our very own Michelle's actually been there and has promised to take me! laugh.gif

This ink has some "adult themes" in it, but nothing graphic: http://www.graveaddiction.com/corpsem.html

And where I grew up there was a lake/river monster called Altamahaha (I'm serious) in the Altamaha River.

http://www.gabooks.com/altahaha.shtml

in one place i lived, there was a legend that there was a werewolf that lived up on the hill. now, i had a friend who scared easily, and me and another friend decided it would be hilarious if we stood outside his house at 1 in the morning, howling like wolves and making as much noise as possible laugh.gif my friend NEVER went out after dark, because of that blush.gif he still doesn't know what we done whistling2.gif

I live in North East UK, not much happens. Whitby's not far off, a few stories from there but I know not of them.

My band practices in a boxing club, that place is the scariest place ever. Last time we heard breathing from the back behind a curtain, today I heard women walking down stairs and talking (the back parts are all locked), then we started to receive some German talking through the guitarists amp - I never knew it was possible to pick up any German radio on an amp, did you? There's an air about the place.

However, I'm open minded about ghosts unless I'm having an encounter, I'd rather tell myself I didn't see a ghost and carry on.

Apparently a man commited suicide by jumping off a bridge in midday, landed dead center in the middle of a schools playground. Yes, it was breaktime. I can't verify this sadly, but I remember hearing it somewhere around here.

794242[/snapback]

That sounds scary, hearing breathing behind you? That must have been an interesting experiance. These are all great, i hope to hear more! original.gif

-Mateo

Uh...sorry I accidently posted twice so I edited this one. Read my next post please. grin2.gif

Edited by rickfury188