Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The red spot

Azalin

Not sure if this has been told yet, so many to go over, but it really happened to a friend of mine in highschool.

The teenager wakes up and sees a bright red spot on his cheek, after trying to pop it, he saw it was getting worse and more red, so he decided to ignore it. The next day he found it to be even larger, being critisized at school, and feeling ugly, he went to the doctor he told to to just take a nice warm shower in the morning, to drive the puss to the top of the pimple, and then pop it in the warm shower.

In the morning he was terrorfied to see it even larger. He quickly jumped into the shower, and made it red hot. After about 10 minutes he attempted to pop the pimple. After applying just a bit of pressure it burst, and to his amazement 25 small spiders came running down his cheek, it appeared a spider dwelled into the pores on his face and laid it's eggs.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coldethyl

• chaoszerg

• Azalin

• Wrighty

interesting - never of that before

OMFG, thats creepy

If that is true thats disgusting. I shall check my spots carefully from now on.

792030[/snapback]

You have spots? laugh.gif

I have heard different variations of this story. Pretty creepy sad.gif

OMFG, thats creepy

791814[/snapback]

It really did happen to a friend of mine in highschool, except it was on his neck.

Of course it did. It always happens to a friend.

Never mind that spiders don't lay eggs in that manner. Or that the body is particularly adept at rejecting foreign bodies. Or that this story has been flying around since the first account of a woman receiving a kiss on the cheek for doing the devil a favor, only to have it turn into a wart and explode with spiders on betraying the devil.

Of course it did.  It always happens to a friend.

Never mind that spiders don't lay eggs in that manner.  Or that the body is particularly adept at rejecting foreign bodies.  Or that this story has been flying around since the first account of a woman receiving a kiss on the cheek for doing the devil a favor, only to have it turn into a wart and explode with spiders on betraying the devil.

793083[/snapback]

I do believe your right, Im not a biology major, but Im not sure why it's something he would tell me about if it didn't happen, not really something to be proud of.

Now, to be fair, and slightly disgusting, the body does rejects eggs and such, however larval creatures have a certain immunity from rejection. Because of this, there has been the occasional report of types of flies or beetles laying their larvae subdermally in young children from impoverished nations, and resulting in the birth of insects.

I heard this same story on a show about urban legends. Doesn't seem that a spider could do that though.

Maybe your friend just got a spider BITE. I remember my older brother Jerry got bit in the face by a spider and it looked like a huge pimple, but it was just a welt from the bite.

This story probably came from someone that got a spider bite and woke up with spiders in their bed thinking they hatched from the bite.. *sigh* welcome to america people.

This is false by the way, it never happened nor could happen. The eggs would die within the human body... and how would they get there anyways? WTH

Not to mention the fact that spiders lay hundreds of eggs in an egg sack which is much too large to fit into the pores of a human.......

Gods I hate this section of the boards. You could spends months debunking and refuting these ludicrous stories, only to have them resurface because someone "just heard this...."

Pah.

Not to mention the fact that spiders lay hundreds of eggs in an egg sack which is much too large to fit into the pores of a human.......

Gods I hate this section of the boards.  You could spends months debunking and refuting these ludicrous stories, only to have them resurface because someone "just heard this...."

Pah.

799165[/snapback]

Many urban legends are not made just to scare people, but they are a good tool of knowledge as well, they are aimed towards informing and teaching people.

As bad as the story might sound, or ridiculous it could be ( in this case, the red spot ) the just of them is to have the reader think how easy and accident could happen, something simple that we may overlook.

Of course some urban legends might just be impossible, like this one.

Why does it say True then

799204[/snapback]

My friend told me it happened to him, like I suggested, since it was kind of an embarrassing story, why would I doubt him ?. I just never actualled looked up the facts until now, and found out that it is not possible.

I highly doubt that it was a spider. I heard a varation of this story of spiders coming out of a cactus. But again that story was from a kids cartoon.

• 9 months later...

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I think I'm gonna barf now.

There is a whole section about myths of insects laying eggs in the body in Jan Bondeson's book "A Cabinet of Medical Curiosities." I highly recommend it :tu:

It is impossible for spiders to lay eggs in the body, but, other insects (such as mites) do and it is now speculated that the infamous cases of "Lousy Disease" are true, that they were indeed some sort if mite.