Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

no cures for hangovers

louie

if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it.

I was wondering the other day in the midst of a massive hangover, that old chestnut how come we have cures for hundreds of diseases and not the common cold. then i was thinking how come there is no cure for a hangover, ive heard lots of wives tales about cures, so was wondering have any of you got a sure fire hangover cure, not some tale you heard but something you have tried and it worked, my favourite is tomato soup but that only settles the stomach and its more for comfort.

So lets go. i promose to try every cure that looks possible, and belive me i will, i have enough hangovers to cover all suggestions.

looking forward to hearing from ya. :rolleyes:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Skeptic Eric Raven

• louie

• StoneAgeQueen

• raistlan316

BREAKFAST POUTINE. Nothing better.

Oh.. i think you have to be a Canadian for this one.

Basically, as much damned grease as you can get in you the next morning. Burger King, or fried eggs and bacon, etc.

Lots and lots of water. And toast.

Just basically getting active, and getting food/liquid into your system.

Basically, as much damned grease as you can get in you the next morning. Burger King, or fried eggs and bacon, etc.

The grease is a BAD thing. Plenty of water will do the trick and ginger is also a good thing to use. Don't clog your arteries trying to get rid of a hangover :)

While your drinking avoid mixing it with sugary drinks and use some ice, the extra little bit of water will make a difference come the next morning. But the best way to limit the hangover is to drink responsibly. Once everything is numb and tingly it means you NEED water, a good rule of thumb is to have a small glass of water after every second or third drink.

Pfft, grease is bad yes, but for hangovers there's nothing better. It's like instant relief in delicious forms!

plenty of water and something to eat (not too greasy) before you go to bed.

A hangover is simply acute dehydration and it's symptoms are what one would experience if you we in the sun too long without drinking fluids. Alcohol acts as a diuretic and it flushes out the fluids in the body. After the fact, water or gatorade along with your analgesic of choice is the most simple aid. In the future, if you'll down about 20 oz bottle of water after a bender and before going to bed, it will do away with virtually all hangovers.

Just drink more!

I believe that is called "The hair of the dog"! Done that quite often when I was a bit younger! :rofl:

I believe that is called "The hair of the dog"! Done that quite often when I was a bit younger! :rofl:

:lol: it's the only cure!

Pfft, grease is bad yes, but for hangovers there's nothing better. It's like instant relief in delicious forms!

For you maybe, makes me throw up :)

Grease... delicious. Now there's an oxymoron! lol

I personally prefer the Hair of the Dog method of recovery but since I have to drive the next day its often just a few pints of water and a Bacon butty :D

But there is more that happens to the body than simply dehydration when a person gets drunk and suffers a hang over, the most noticeable effect in conjunction with the dehydration is the loss of Electrolytes!

Some of these Electrolytes for example sodium, potassium, calcium, magnesium, chloride, phosphate, hydrogen carbonate help transfer electrical impulses around the brain and therefore have a big impact on our reasoning and emotion's, in short a hungover person can feel blue and generally lethargic.

The loss of electrolytes can also inhibit the electrical impulses being sent to the brain and this can also cause short term memory loss, ever woke up in a field and wondered how the hell you got there?

The rotten gut feeling is simply where your stomach has lost some of its protective barrier due to alcohol consumption causing it to feel delicate like when you are unwell and throw up.

As with all things prevention is better than cure, try and avoid a dreadful hang over and stop at the fat burger shop and get something to eat, even though Half a dead cow between some bread with bacon and cheese @ 02:30am is not good for your diet it will soak up the remaining alcohol and help preserve your stomach lining so when you balance it out the burger is better for you than going to sleep with a gut full of booze.

Also before you crash out drink at least a pint of water, this just helps to counteract to the dehydration when you’re sleeping.

Whoever suggested Gatorade is spot on! Most “sport drinks” contains not only water but the magical Electrolyte's and some other essential elements like glucose whats needed energy, this is probably your best bet to getting back to 100% asap.

Be aware that too much water can cause Water intoxication (also known as hyperhydration or water poisoning)

However the human body is a very clever thing and the Stomach will restore the protective mucus barrier and the Electrolyte levels in your brain will be restored as your body replaces them naturally.

Happy drunking :tu:

Edited by zimbob

linked-image

Edited by Aztec Warrior

I have found three things that help a hangover.

1 2 giant oranges the next morning (I think they replace vital vitamins which are lost during that session)

2 Drink one pint of water or fruit juice just before sleeping and make sure you have another pint by your bed so that when you wake up in the night it is there immediately to help dehydration

3 Hair of the dog is good because if you have binged on booze the night before your body will have withdrawal symptoms

I must admit it is extremely rare I get hangovers if I do the above and believe me I do like a tipple or 75 sometimes ;)

My first idea..............

linked-image

Hangovers aahhh got to love them! I always get them bad but i do drink to excess when i go out, its not unusual for me to spend £100 on a night out.

When you get in if you can work the toaster try eating LOTS of toast with butter like 8 peices then a pint of water after. If you have the room chuck a pint of milk down your throat. The toast soaks up the drink, the water helps to hydrate you and the milk lines the stomach. If you can next day get out in the fresh air I also like to sweat the drink out next day too, get your trainers on and have a good run or any other exercise that will get it out of your pores after that a nice hot bath and if your still feeling like death and aint got work crawl back into your pit and zzzzzzzzzz.

Honey for headache, grape for nausea, juice of water melon for "fever", pomelo with sugar, juice of celery, yogurt, banana, oliver. Vit. B1 100mg 3 times per day.

You took the words right out of my mouth, BurnSide! It may not be GOOD for you (but then again, getting drunk enough to have a hangover isn't the most healthy of ideas, either), but after the water and the tylenol, grease is what I go for first. :D Then (if I can), I go straight back to bed. ^_^

The best ever cure for hang over is:

Persuading the missus to do the right thing and alleviate your aching ...... erm .....brain!!! :blush:

Closely followed Staying in bed all day watching telly and ordering pizza, and for the evenings entertainment a phat "special" cigi and a good film also help distract from the nausea ;)

Persuading the missus to do the right thing and alleviate your aching ...... erm .....brain!!! :blush:

Closely followed Staying in bed all day watching telly and ordering pizza, and for the evenings entertainment a phat "special" cigi and a good film also help distract from the nausea ;)

What I used to do was to have iced tea mix in the house at all times, cause well I was a party girl. Anyway, you make it as strong as you can, almost with sludge at the bottom. If this satys down, awesome, if it doesn't after you puke it up, do it again until the mixture stays down. This does work, I did it many times because I had to work after drinking the night before.

Oh, I have to agree, nothing gets rid of a hang over faster and better than a nasty Quarter Pounder with Cheese and a big old bucket of nasty McD's fries. I don't know why it works, but it does.

Also, the Chaser product (pill form) sold at a lot of convenience stores actually does work quite well. It was a tablet designed by the CIA, in the hopes that operatives could take it and drink alcohol and that Chaser, would keep them from getting drunk. Unfortunately, it didn't quite work, people still got drunk, but the side effect was that they woke up with no hang over. I've tried it on a number of occasions, and it works pretty well.

My personal recipe for no hangovers is to eat well before drinking. I don't eat any starchy foods if I know I'm going to be drinking. I eat meat, fish, veggies, fruits and drink lots of water BEFORE drinking alcohol (no pasta, potato, bread etc... rice seems to be ok if you want a little starch). I also avoid high sugar alcohols like rum, beer, wine... if I'm having mixed drinks, I also mix it with a diet soda. The sugar overload from juice mixers and sugar sodas is a mixture for a headache.

Generally if I stick to drinking vodka or gin, mixed with diet soda, eat a hearty no or low starch dinner, I never wake with a hangover.

I love wine though, that's usually when I'll eat my good dinner and make sure that I take a Chaser too. That always works.

This works every time for me: one full glass of water, Advil (I can take 6 at one time, YMMV), and a small bowl of unsalted tortilla chips before bed. The chips work to help soak up the yuck in your stomach. The advil is obvious and the water helps to dilute your system.

My boyfriend always tries to pull that one! :angry::w00t:

I think that I have to agree with the majority of people here:

The best hangover cure is as much grease as you can possibly eat;

water; and spending the rest of the day relaxing

Although I do find going for an antagonizingly long walk also works wonders as well.

(Personal preference)

Oh yeah - and fruit. Lots of it.

Just so you feel better about the night before.

Hehe