Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Whitehouse Defending Obama's $100m Trip.

Dredimus

President Obama is under fire for the price of the first family’s upcoming weeklong trip to Africa, which could cost taxpayers as much as $100 million at a time of federal budget cuts and furloughs.

The Obamas’ trip will take them to Senegal, Tanzania and South Africa from June 26 to July 3. The excursion will involve military cargo planes airlifting 56 support vehicles, including 14 limousines, and three trucks to carry bulletproof glass panels to cover the windows where the family is set to stay.

Linkage

When is it enough?

• Like 2

Really? 100 Million dollars? You'd think they could find someplace a bit more local.

• Like 3

i assume America must be doing very well at the moment and he thinks he deserves a holiday that is mind boggingly expensive. 0.0

• Like 2

Obama and his family are over in my neck of the woods now... Michelle and the kids are off to Dublin, while Obama is in Enniskillen ( County Fermanagh ) with the rest of the G8 leaders ... I watched this on Sky News live this morning..He was giving a speech in Belfast.

• Like 2

How about Obama pay for it himself, out of his own pocket?

• Like 2

Another First Lady traveled with her own bath water.

When I see these figures, I don't only think how extravagant, wasteful and arrogant, but rather, $100,000,000!!!!$$$ Taxpayers are getting ripped off somewhere. That is a ridiculous figure, an exorbitant amount of money. Something isn't right. I'd love to see a breakdown of the costs. $100,000,000!!! No friggin' way is that the best (least expensive) they could do even if they kept everything the same. Paying top dollar is the best the gov can do? Shop around, refuse to pay extraordinary figures just because you are the U S govt. No wonder we are in a financial mess.

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 3

How about Obama pay for it himself, out of his own pocket?

He can pay for my trip out of his pocket too.. I fancy an American tour, there are so many places in the US that are worth going to...My kid wants to first stop off at Memphis Tennessee to see Graceland, and we can crack on from there.. :P

Jokes aside, I would love a big tour like that.. So much to see over there... I always get stumpt when some Americans say - "Oh I would like to visit Ireland"...I think to myself, you guys have way more to see than us..America has everything... Ireland has a few green fields, some sheep, ruins of a castle here and there and a blarney stone..Not to mention pubs everywhere, and youths throwing stones at the cops that drive by.!! Sigh lol

Paying top dollar is the best the gov can do? Shop around, refuse to pay extraordinary figures just because you are the U S govt. No wonder we are in a financial mess.

I know, they should have went to - http://www.travelsupermarket.com/ lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 3

Like the article pointed out. This money could have gone to restarting the whitehouse tours and that budget would last over 1000 weeks. Which would create a job or 50 in that area... which in turn would give something back to the economy... Thats just one way to handle the situation... think of all the other things that would benefit from $100m ....

• Like 4

Like the article pointed out. This money could have gone to restarting the whitehouse tours and that budget would last over 1000 weeks. Which would create a job or 50 in that area... which in turn would give something back to the economy... Thats just one way to handle the situation... think of all the other things that would benefit from $100m ....

Good thinking..

• Like 1

He can pay for my trip out of his pocket too.. I fancy an American tour, there are so many places in the US that are worth going to...My kid wants to first stop off at Memphis Tennessee to see Graceland, and we can crack on from there.. :P

Jokes aside, I would love a big tour like that.. So much to see over there... I always get stumpt when some Americans say - "Oh I would like to visit Ireland"...I think to myself, you guys have way more to see than us..America has everything... Ireland has a few green fields, some sheep, ruins of a castle here and there and a blarney stone..Not to mention pubs everywhere, and youths throwing stones at the cops that drive by.!! Sigh

Well you've to to be rich or live very cheaply to see it all here. I've been here 33 years and haven't seen much. Our castles are very few and far between but I have been to one when I was a kid, Gillette's Castle http://www.ctrivervalley.com/4-Connecticut-CT-in-of/Major-attractions-in-CT/gillette_castle_state_park/ and I don't remember it much but I'm sure it pales in comparison to the extraordinarily old castles and old history on your side of the ocean. I've been to Canada once though it was only Niagra falls which is hardly what I'd call visiting another country. Florida/Disneyland a few times. I got the hook up and get in for free when I go. Yes, that is awesome. Otherwise I've been to Las Vegas a couple times, Tennessee and a handful of New England states. A few other places but nothing noteworthy. I'd love to visit Europe and my fiancé especially wants to see Ireland but it's so dang expensive not to mention time consuming if you'd want to enjoy it.

• Like 3

Less than five miles from Harteland.

Thankyew

Thankyewverymuch

Harte

• Like 2

This pretty messed up to be honest. But the value of the us dollar has depreciated substantially in the past 10 years, in that very article it states that Clinton's visit to africa was somewhere in the tune of $30 million, and the cost of operating air force one has doubled since Bush's administration. I'm not defending the Obamas as I have as much respect for obbie as the last 40 years of Oval office jokes our country has elected, just saying the cost of services had increased substantially in the last few years.

A large part of the cost is security.

I read that they're shipping 14 bulletproof limos. They have shipped and are installing bulletproof glass in the windows of the hotels where they are staying.

Africa is extremely dangerous. So much so that one wonders why any president would go there, rather than have African leaders come here, where they might be mugged, but not beheaded and dragged through the streets (usually.)

Harte

• Like 1

Well you've to to be rich or live very cheaply to see it all here. I've been here 33 years and haven't seen much. Our castles are very few and far between but I have been to one when I was a kid, Gillette's Castle http://www.ctriverva...tle_state_park/ and I don't remember it much but I'm sure it pales in comparison to the extraordinarily old castles and old history on your side of the ocean. I've been to Canada once though it was only Niagra falls which is hardly what I'd call visiting another country. Florida/Disneyland a few times. I got the hook up and get in for free when I go. Yes, that is awesome. Otherwise I've been to Las Vegas a couple times, Tennessee and a handful of New England states. A few other places but nothing noteworthy. I'd love to visit Europe and my fiancé especially wants to see Ireland but it's so dang expensive not to mention time consuming if you'd want to enjoy it.

I'll make a deal for you - If I win Tue night £122 million, I will give you my home for free and buy you a visa if you want it, heck I'll even give you your own Irish pub to run, invite everyone over..... And then , I would be off to travel...Some nice spots in Europe and the USA..I almost forgot Australia . It would be expensive, but one can only dream for now...

Less than five miles from Harteland.

Thankyew

Thankyewverymuch

Harte

Lucky you... I love the southern accent and the hospitality...If I were to visit, I would take in a few southern states...and Disney of course..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 2

I'll make a deal for you - If I win Tue night £122 million, I will give you my home for free and buy you a visa if you want it, heck I'll even give you your own Irish pub to run, invite everyone over..... And then , I would be off to travel...Some nice spots in Europe and the USA..I almost forgot Australia . It would be expensive, but one can only dream for now...

Lucky you... I love the southern accent and the hospitality...If I were to visit, I would take in a few southern states...and Disney of course..

Lol thanks, I'll hold you to it. Me and my lady wouldn't mind downing a few rounds in a Irish pub, a real one. Only thing you need to constitute and Irish pub in this country is green neons, four leaf clover images and a visible leprechaun poster somewhere. There's a few good ones but they're mostly as I described. And if you hold up your bargain I'll see what I can do about my Disney hook up not that your rich ass will need it but it's the gesture that counts.

• Like 1

Ha ha ha ha... Let them eat cake!

You know, I was thinking the same thing! :)

Ha ha ha ha... Let them eat cake!

Why? Doesn't that expression mean the jokes on them? I think it does but it looks like the tax payer is the punch line here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by F3SS

Why? Doesn't that expression mean the jokes on them? I think it does but it looks like the tax payer is the punch line here. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, no. It is a misattributted quote to Marie Antoinette, actually. She never said it really. She, sadly, probably wasn't paying much attention to the fact, while French Royalty lived like kings, the people of Paris were starving....kinda what's going on now....and we're the peasants....

• Like 1

Ahh ok, I alwayshear a snooty queen in my head when I hear that expression but still I was right that the joke is on US.

Ahh ok, I alwayshear a snooty queen in my head when I hear that expression but still I was right that the joke is on US.

Yep. Just like usual....

Lol thanks, I'll hold you to it. .

I'd do it too.. If having £122 million, of course I would do it and a few of my other UM friends...Darn straight..

Only thing you need to constitute and Irish pub in this country is green neons, four leaf clover images and a visible leprechaun poster somewhere.

I have never seen an Irish pub like that before lol.......What constitutes as an Irish pub over here is lots of singing, cheering on the football, beer and lots of it, and music all night long..Many Irish pubs are welcoming and friendly... I have had quite a few buy me rounds of drinks all night..Who am I to say no?

That's the thing with some of the Iri****hey won't take no for an answer.. it goes like ( Picture a broad southern Irish accent ) - "Do ya care for a pint of Guinness? Ack go on..What about a wee shot of whiskey? Go on just a wee drop? Ack ya will " Before you know it, you are downing a pint !!!. I found myself doing that and I HATE beer, I did it to keep them happy !!

And if you hold up your bargain I'll see what I can do about my Disney hook up not that your rich ass will need it but it's the gesture that counts.

You bet I would do it.. Because I would be so over the moon, I would want to make a few people happy... I'd give you my home, but see it is really a quiet spot where I live, not much going on....If you are a fan of peace and quiet, then my home is the right one for you..You will have a nice wee home, ( with our two cats, oh yea that's the catch, you have to take the cats lol ) your own car, and a new pub to run........Just think, you could travel all over Ireland and it will be a breeze..!

I wont let you have my rust bucket of a car ( Old Ford Focus ) no way.. Its a banger, but that old banger has given us some sweet memories.. I would take my old banger with me as a keepsake.. :yes:

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I'd do it too.. If having £122 million, of course I would do it and a few of my other UM friends...Darn straight..

I have never seen an Irish pub like that before lol.......What constitutes as an Irish pub over here is lots of singing, cheering on the football, beer and lots of it, and music all night long..Many Irish pubs are welcoming and friendly... I have had quite a few buy me rounds of drinks all night..Who am I to say no?

That's the thing with some of the Iri****hey on't take no for an answer.. it goes like ( Picture abroad southern Irish accent ) - "Do ya care for a pint of Guinness? Ack go on..What about a wee shot of whiskey? Go on just a wee drop? Ack ya will " Before you know it, you are downing a pint !!!. I found myself doing that and I HATE beer, I did it to keep them happy !!

You bet I would do it.. Because I would be so over the moon, I would want to make a few people happy... I'd give you my home, but see it is really a quiet spot where I live, not much going on....If you are a fan of peace and quiet, then my home is the right one for you..You will have a nice wee home, ( with our two cats, oh yea that's the catch, you have to take the cats lol ) your own car, and a new pub to run........Just think, you could travel all over Ireland and it will be a breeze..!

I wont let you have my rust bucket of a car ( Old Ford Focus ) no way.. Its a banger, but that old banger has given us some sweet memories.. I would take my old banger with me as a keepsake.. :yes:

Thanks. you're so generous. I'd say what constitutes an Irish pub in Ireland is a pub in Ireland no matter how you look at it. I can't do Guiness though. I'd rather drink dish soap but I'm sure there are other beers I'd enjoy and to me whiskey is whiskey no matter where it's from.

Another First Lady traveled with her own bath water.

When I see these figures, I don't only think how extravagant, wasteful and arrogant, but rather, $100,000,000!!!!$$$ Taxpayers are getting ripped off somewhere. That is a ridiculous figure, an exorbitant amount of money. Something isn't right. I'd love to see a breakdown of the costs. $100,000,000!!! No friggin' way is that the best (least expensive) they could do even if they kept everything the same. Paying top dollar is the best the gov can do? Shop around, refuse to pay extraordinary figures just because you are the U S govt. No wonder we are in a financial mess.

I know a couple of polish lads who could get the same thing done for a few hundred quid if you'd like to give the obama's their phone number QC?

:-)

Thanks. you're so generous. I'd say what constitutes an Irish pub in Ireland is a pub in Ireland no matter how you look at it. I can't do Guiness though. I'd rather drink dish soap but I'm sure there are other beers I'd enjoy and to me whiskey is whiskey no matter where it's from.

I hate Guinness..UUHHH A few mouthfuls of that and I headed straight to the bathroom...I think it is one of those - Love it or hate it drinks.. The most common beers sold over here are - Harp, Tennents and Budweiser ...Harp would be the top favourite. I would be more of a cider, white wine and Smirnoff ice drinker..