Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Found: World's oldest wood – so far

Still Waters

Two 400-million-year-old fossil plants are the oldest known examples of wood. They are small herbs, suggesting that wood did not evolve to help plants grow tall.

Both fossils date from the early Devonian period, by which time simple plants had long colonised the land and begun diversifying.One was found in France and dates from 407 million years ago, while the other, from Canada, is 397 million years old.

According to lead researcher Philippe Gerrienne of the University of Liège, Belgium, they predate the previous record-holders by at least 10 million years.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xCrimsonx

• The Dreamer - Hybrid89

• Still Waters

• Ozner

I have to agree.

An entire forest made out of fungi...creepy, except you know that there wouldn't be any animals either...or even bugs...

An entire forest made out of fungi...creepy, except you know that there wouldn't be any animals either...or even bugs...

Heh, I was thinking about these giant fungi too as soon as I read the OP. But the OP is not about fungi, as you can see from the photo published with the article.

"Trees would not evolve until about 385 million years ago, at which point they began scrambling to grow taller in order to capture more light. Wood was crucial for this, because it made their trunks sturdier."

Well, the next is old news, but it shows fungi (=NOT plants) had no problems growing tall:

Scientists have identified the Godzilla of fungi - a giant, prehistoric fossil that has evaded classification for more than a century.

A chemical analysis has shown that the 6-metre-tall organism with a tree-like trunk was a fungus that became extinct more than 350 million years ago.

Known as Prototaxites, the giant fungus has intrigued scientists, who originally thought it was a conifer. In 2001, Francis Hueber at the National Museum of Natural History in Washington DC, US, first suggested it may be a fungus, based on an analysis of the fossil's internal structure. But he had no conclusive proof.

dn11701-2_550.jpg

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11701-mystery-prehistoric-fossil-verified-as-giant-fungus.html

Edited by Abramelin

Re: "Bugs". If we are using the circa 400 million yr. figure, it would appear that insects were already present:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2004/02/12/1043512.htm

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v427/n6975/full/nature02291.html

Aged and persistent rascals.

Herb? Smokable herb? Imagine smoking an 400 million year old herb...I bet they had good stuff back then ;)

I am a new christian struggling with their idea of new age earth. These articles fascinate me but wish they would explain how they date things. By what process etc...

I am a new christian struggling with their idea of new age earth. These articles fascinate me but wish they would explain how they date things. By what process etc...

Theres a lot of ways of dating fossils. Although its been a number of years since I did history or even anything close to it, Carbon dating is but one way of dating a fossil as far as I remember. Google 'how do you date fossils' and you'll find what your looking for.

Herb? Smokable herb? Imagine smoking an 400 million year old herb...I bet they had good stuff back then ;)

LOL Ya'd wanna hope your not allergic to penicillin coz I reckon a 400 million year old herb would be well funky man!

Ya know they say Herbs "etc" where waaaaay better in the sixties ya dont know what ya smoking nowadays! rofl.gif

Edited by xCrimsonx

Theres a lot of ways of dating fossils. Although its been a number of years since I did history or even anything close to it, Carbon dating is but one way of dating a fossil as far as I remember. Google 'how do you date fossils' and you'll find what your looking for.

Carbon dating only really gives the calculation within a particular time period and not an actual date so to speak! Compared to what they find now, forensically and scientifically we are pretty much on the mark!