Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Power of suggestion?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1    Doctor Kyrie

Doctor Kyrie

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:55 AM

Is it possible that all "ghosts" are simply power of suggestion. A place that is haunted is scary because we were told it was haunted?

Discuss, also please note if you'd like to be anonymous if I use the text in a film.

Find me on the web at www.walterpitcher.com

#2    pallidin

pallidin

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,151 posts

• "When life gets you down... swim with a dolphin"

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:26 AM

I believe in the paranormal, and I believe in ghosts.

I also believe that, as you suggested, the human mind can "trick" us, or "scare" us, depending on our expectations.

#3    Professor T

Professor T

Λ Ο Δ

• 2,389 posts

• I'm not really a Professor so don't take my words as Gospel

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:33 AM

View PostDoctor Kyrie, on 19 February 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

Is it possible that all "ghosts" are simply power of suggestion. A place that is haunted is scary because we were told it was haunted?

Discuss, also please note if you'd like to be anonymous if I use the text in a film.

No I don't think it's possible that all ghosts are from the power of suggestion..
I saw someone I once knew, walking down the street like a regular scene on a regular day..
Later that day I learned that that same person had died some months earler..
So, no, there's no way that event was suggested to me..

Have also seen one or two other ghostly forms, at random, completely non-suggested..
I think many are suggested though, expecially when a place/area has a repulation grown about such things...

#4    Brian Topp

Brian Topp

Dynamic Interactions Coordinator Of Paradoxes.

• 2,920 posts

• My youtube channel, Has horror stories and skits.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/TheCreepyCorridor

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:08 PM

Same thing about mediums

It is easier to claim it is paranormal than taking the hard route and find out what really happened.

#5    Rafterman

Rafterman

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,011 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostDoctor Kyrie, on 19 February 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

You raise a good point.

Someone with a strong belief in the supernatural will hear an unexplained noise or see a digital artifact in a photograph and immediately think - GHOST!  Someone who isn't predisposed (like myself) will think "damn, those squirrels are back in the attic again" or "sorry, don't see anything."

My secretary loves to break into old abandoned places and photograph them.  She does some really cool work and I'm planning to accompany her on some upcoming trips.  But she is constantly showing me things and saying "look, there's the ghost" and I"m like, "I don't really see anything".

"You can't have freedom of religion without having freedom from the religious beliefs of other people."

#6    third_eye

third_eye

_ M Ġ ń Ř Ī Ş_

• 6,819 posts

• "Legio nomen mihi est, quia multi sumus"

God has no religion ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted 28 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

depends on what kind of ghost you're looking for :

if its anything like the 'ghosts' being suggested to in movies or paintings/drawings then yes, those are 'inherited' creatively presented but still a 'suggested' idea
actually anything that can be 'caught' on recorded devices, audio or visual is nothing but suggestive incidences. Yes I mean nothing
Those are not ghosts, those are our ghosts. Everyone has their own version of ghosts.

Try an experiment, go taking random snapshots through out the day or night, just snap along where you're going, not at anything in particular, just random pics.
Then look through them, you'll be finding a lot of ghosts or things that makes you think of ghosts.

Or place a strong magnet in some corner of your work place, in a half year you'll be hearing a lot of strange stories about some strange place in the workplace.
In my case it was a new power supply unit, gave out a lot of magnetic activity. The office next door behind the wall the unit was backed up against became the 'haunted room' because 'strange' things were happening. As soon as the unit was moved back downstairs after the renovation works, the stories stopped.

Ghosts are not what you think or other people say it is. You'll know when you meet one but you'll never tell anyone about it.

' ... life and death carry on as they always have ~ and always will, only the dreamer is gone ~ behind the flow of imagination, beyond any effort to be still
dancing in the ebb and flow of attention, more present than the breath, I find the origins of my illusions, only the dreamer is gone ~ the dream never ends
'

GIFTS WITH NO GIVER - a love affair with truth ~ Poems by Nirmala

third_eye ' s cavern ~ bring own beer

#7    Child of Bast

Child of Bast

Queen of the UM Asylum

• 4,754 posts

• The Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
    Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers.But I'll tell you a secret: all the best people are."

Posted 28 February 2013 - 06:09 PM

I'd say 99% of all hauntings are through the power of suggestion.

'A phantom,' said my Uncle Mycroft, who had just materialised, 'is essentially a heteromorphic wave pattern that gains solidity when the apparition converts thermal energy from the surroundings to visible light. It's a fascinating process and I'm amazed no one has thought of harnessing it - a holographic TV that could operate from the heat given off by an average-size guinea pig.' ~ First Among Sequels, Jasper Fforde

#8    Odd Requiem

Odd Requiem

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

• "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:15 AM

I think power of suggestion plays a big part in many cases.
A lot of people tend to be openly weak minded and will believe they started out as a squirrel wearing a top hat if you talk long enough.
People will believe what they want to believe.
Through a few personal experiences,  I'm a believer in other worldly beings.
But I choose to keep it to myself instead of validating my experiences with discussing them with others.
If that's all over the map and makes no conclusive sense, I apologize.
I love lamp.

-I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.//

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users