Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Obama’s Elmo O.J. Simpson joke

Order66

http://washingtonexa...15#.UHWpxq4f4YQ

Nobody seems to be reacting to this in the press. Does this comment seem kind of ****ed-up or am I the only one who doesn't think double homocide isn't really that funny?

Pretty hilarious, got any Trayvon Martin jokes?

I hope my kid hears "Elmo" mentioned in the news and asks what the President is talking about. That will be a Kodak moment. Very classy.

Edited by Vein Capital
  • Like 1

Meh, kind of a lame job but I'm not seeing the outrage. Of course given the other articles on the website I think they're a tad bias. :P

I'm sure he didnt mean for it to come out that way but yeah that was bad. personally this whole seame street thing is ridiculus. Just stick to what is important. You know how about hammer the hard questions like how is Romney going to reduce the debt by 5 trillion dollars without cutting anything major or raising taxes?

footnote. Not a fan of either one, it's like watching a turd fight a douche. (credit southpark)

Big deal. A 20 second snippet of a sound bite. It's just a joke (and a lame one at that).

It's this sort of knee jerk reaction that causes much of the public to steer clear of any meaningful political discourse.

To me it shows the pop culture orientation of the President. More serious matters are ignored while appealing to the lowest common denominator, like avoiding world leaders in New York in order to appear on The View. The reference to O.J. Simpson could open up a racial can of worms. Surely if one does decide to make a joke about Elmo an analogy could be used that doesn't refer to a 20 year old incident that divided the nation along racial lines. Quite odd for a person who described himself as a uniter, not a divider.

The issue he's trying to refer to involves decisions over the details of government spending. The initial reference in the debate provided a needed light hearted moment during an otherwise serious discussion. To still be invoking the characters instead of addressing the real issue is like telling the same joke over and over until its not funny anymore.

• Like 1

Tasteless joke, but please correct me if I'm wrong, wasn't Elmo found 'not guilty' of the murder of Big Bird? Remeber Johnny Cochran saying 'if the puppet dont fit, you must acquit'.

• Like 3

To me it shows the pop culture orientation of the President. More serious matters are ignored while appealing to the lowest common denominator, like avoiding world leaders in New York in order to appear on The View. The reference to O.J. Simpson could open up a racial can of worms. Surely if one does decide to make a joke about Elmo an analogy could be used that doesn't refer to a 20 year old incident that divided the nation along racial lines. Quite odd for a person who described himself as a uniter, not a divider.

The issue he's trying to refer to involves decisions over the details of government spending. The initial reference in the debate provided a needed light hearted moment during an otherwise serious discussion. To still be invoking the characters instead of addressing the real issue is like telling the same joke over and over until its not funny anymore.

I understand what you are saying here, but again, this is a 20 second clip out of a political stump speech.

It's not telling the same joke over and over to the same crowd. He's addressing different crowds, doing the same 'stump' each time. That's how they all do it.

I just think people looking to be offended are going to find offense.

Makes him look small and it must p*** off his supporters that this is what he comes back with after having his as handed to him in the debate.

• Like 1

Obama does not at all seem to care about becoming president. He's just doing whatever he wants now.

A more "human" and less "faceless politician" approach possibly?

I don't find it offensive in the least. I don't think its funny. But I also think Holocaust jokes are okay. I don't think cultural standings and peoples uptight opinions should prevent people from a simple laugh.

Edited by Kazoo

Obama does not at all seem to care about becoming president. He's just doing whatever he wants now.

No, he may not like the job of President but he LOVES being the President. The big airplane, the cars, being the center of attention all the time. He is quite possibly the laziest man to ever serve in that office but he sure does love the perks

• Like 1

that's a pretty baseless remark. Or have you had lunch with the man and discerned this about him?

• Like 1

that's a pretty baseless remark. Or have you had lunch with the man and discerned this about him?

I can read the guys daily schedule on-line and it is ridiculously light. I can count how many games of golf he has played and have paid for his and his wife's countless vacations. I can read what legislators say about the man and his working hours, or lak thereof. I also know that he has held more fundraisers and done more campaigning than any president in history. When you are on the stump, partying with snoop and JZ, visiting the view and talking to Jay you ain't working on the innumerable problems this country is suffering with.

How does that sit with you? ^_^

why don't you do a comparison of all that with GW's vacation schedule and show us the results. throw clinton and bush SR in there too.

Here's something from august, 20111:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-20093801.html

So far, President Obama has taken 61 vacation days after 31 months in office. At this point in their presidencies, George W. Bush had spent 180 days at his ranch where his staff often joined him for meetings. And Ronald Reagan had taken 112 vacation days at his ranch.

Among recent presidents, Bill Clinton took the least time off -- 28 days.

To be fair, a presidential vacation away from the White House is not the same as a vacation for the average person. The president is still in contact with his advisers and on call for any emergency.

also know that he has held more fundraisers and done more campaigning than any president in history.

You're going to have to show some data to support that. If you choose to do so in amount of money raised, you'll have to show a comparison in today's dollars, as well as the relation to the amount of money raised by romney and the past presidents vs. their challengers. otherwise your personal observations mean little.

Here's some more from another source:

http://politic365.com/2012/05/08/obamas-vacations-of-any-president-bush-racked-up-the-most/

Calls to several Presidential libraries reveal that President Obama’s predecessor, George W. Bush, was on vacation more — 1,020 days — than any U.S. President since Herbert Hoover and possibly more than any other President in history.

Even President Franklin D. Roosevelt, who was in office 12 years from 1933 to 1945, was on vacation less days than President Bush at 958 days. Calls to several Presidential Libraries reveal that no President can come close to Bush’s 1,020 days on vacation in an 8 year period. Even Lyndon Johnson, who spent 484 days at his ranch in Texas and at Camp David during his presidency, came in under Bush’s vacation time. Some claim the cost of Bush’s frequent trips to Crawford, Texas cost taxpayers upwards of $20 million, but the numbers are hard to confirm.

A recession started in 2001 as Bush took office after 22 million jobs were created during the Clinton Administration from 1993 to 2000. Bush began wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and presided over the loss of 4 million jobs. The debt when Bush left office was $10.6 trillion. In 2005, the Washington Post noted President Bush’s frequent vacations in a piece titled Vacationing Bush Poised to Set a Record as Bush took the longest single vacation — 5 weeks — of any President in 36 years.

Now, this is not to bash bush. I think that a presidential "vacation" isn't really a "vacation" in some senses of the word. But you claimed he was the laziest president, and if you are using "vacations" as part of that determination, you should give that honer to someone else.

I can read the guys daily schedule on-line and it is ridiculously light. I can count how many games of golf he has played and have paid for his and his wife's countless vacations. I can read what legislators say about the man and his working hours, or lak thereof. I also know that he has held more fundraisers and done more campaigning than any president in history. When you are on the stump, partying with snoop and JZ, visiting the view and talking to Jay you ain't working on the innumerable problems this country is suffering with.

How does that sit with you? ^_^

Sits pretty well. More campaigning in the history of any president you say? Does thar sound lazy? Seems to me that more would have been done if the Republicans didn't say I don't care if its a great idea or not if the president wants it to go through we will act like preschoolers and keep saying no not mine no no no I don't want to. So really if he has time to spare I think its due to Congress giving him all the time in the world. Ho about the Republicans representing their constituents instead of an ideal and get something done on capital hill.

You're going to have to show some data to support that. If you choose to do so in amount of money raised, you'll have to show a comparison in today's dollars, as well as the relation to the amount of money raised by romney and the past presidents vs. their challengers. otherwise your personal observations mean little.

Here are a couple:

http://washingtonexa...71#.UHYI64bwOSo

http://abcnews.go.co...or-fundraisers/

You can check out his daily schedules on your own here http://www.whitehous...edule/president

Edited by Merc14

Sits pretty well. More campaigning in the history of any president you say? Does thar sound lazy?

No it's fine, there isn't much going on in the world that he should be working on. :hmm: At least we have shamed the bum into finally attending his daily intelligence briefings. Maybe if he had been doing so before, Benghazi wouldn't have happened.

Seems to me that more would have been done if the Republicans didn't say I don't care if its a great idea or not if the president wants it to go through we will act like preschoolers and keep saying no not mine no no no I don't want to. So really if he has time to spare I think its due to Congress giving him all the time in the world. Ho about the Republicans representing their constituents instead of an ideal and get something done on capital hill.

Now you are just getting silly. I always laugh at you guys when you whine about this. You act as if no president has ever had a hostile congress before poor, lazy Barry. Barry's biggest problem is he is unwilling to compromise with anyone on either side of the aisle.

Edited by Merc14

No it's fine, there isn't much going on in the world that he should be working on. :hmm: At least we have shamed the bum into finally attending his daily intelligence briefings. Maybe if he had been doing so before, Benghazi wouldn't have happened.

Now you are just getting silly. I always laugh at you guys when you whine about this. You act as if no president has ever had a hostile congress before poor, lazy Barry. Barry's biggest problem is he is unwilling to compromise with anyone on either side of the aisle.

You say I'm silly but this is the worst Congress I have personally seen in my lifetime. Obama has compromised to the point of basically offering a Republican budget which was still turned down only because Obama offered it. Its childish. These people need to represent the people and the people want decisions made is that too much to want is for a person to do the best job they can selflessly? This isn't about red or blue its about people and we need to work towards a common goal. Do you deny that the Republicans said thar no matter what we will not pass anything Obama presents?

Edited by Aus Der Box Skeptisch

You say I'm silly but this is the worst Congress I have personally seen in my lifetime. Obama has compromised to the point of basically offering a Republican budget which was still turned down only because Obama offered it. Its childish.

I have no idea how old you are so this is a meaning less statement but please show me where Obama took Boehner's budget, put his name on it and handed it back to Boehner who subsequently squashed it.

BTW, this congress has backed down several times on raising the debt ceiling, something they should not have done.

Edited by Merc14

BTW, this congress has backed down several times on raising the debt ceiling, something they should not have done.

because paying your outstanding bills is a bad thing? You're ridiculous.

because paying your outstanding bills is a bad thing? You're ridiculous.

No, you're ridiculous because I am sure you were jumping up and down when candidate Obama called Bush unpatriotic for adding $4t to the debt during his 8 years (I actually agreed with Barry on that) and call me ridiculous when I say the congress should not have allowed Barry to add $5T in 4 years (or is it $6T now, not sure). That is ridiculous and don't tel me you weren't cheering that condemnation. I certainly was.

First let me say yes I voted for Obama, however I think that he has been a disappointing president. In fairness though what you have pointed out doesn't mean much if anything.

Just because he may not attend a physical meeting to be breifed does not mean he does not read the intel breifing. Maybe he feels he doesn't need to be spoon fed the information and that if he has questions about something he can contact the right people to get the answer that is what phones are for right?

This is like the pot calling the kettle Black. This congress is about as willing to bend and compromise with Obama as Isreal is to pulling out of the Gaza strip and giving them thier own country. They may have compromised with the debt ceiling but that isn't much of a concession since if it had not have happened it could have made thing fiscally worse for our debt. Every president since 1939 (except Truman) has raised the Debt ceiling. Heck the Republic poster boy Reagan did it 18 times so I can't see that as a huge concession on the congresses part.

This is like the pot calling the kettle Black. This congress is about as willing to bend and compromise with Obama as Isreal is to pulling out of the Gaza strip and giving them thier own country. They may have compromised with the debt ceiling but that isn't much of a concession since if it had not have happened it could have made thing fiscally worse for our debt. Every president since 1939 (except Truman) has raised the Debt ceiling. Heck the Republic poster boy Reagan did it 18 times so I can't see that as a huge concession on the congresses part.

Obama was responsible for the collapse of the budget talks with John Boehner. Ironically it's because he was executing a ploy to to make himself look like the one willing to compromise against the obstinate Republicans, and his plan backfired. Always with him its politics first, re-election first, his fiscal responsibility to America comes second. Read here:

http://www.washingto...yfJS_story.html

Others may have increased the deficit in the past but none to the degree Obama has.

Edited by Vein Capital