Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* - - - - 1 votes

What is science really about?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#31    Iron_Lotus

Iron_Lotus

Hermit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,677 posts

• I'll scream for you in whispers, because I always hated being too loud.

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:05 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 09 March 2013 - 04:41 PM, said:

This little lot of comments serves no better purpose than to reveal the culture of this forum.  I have just abandonded a forum on paganism because I found there a culture that had succumbed to paranoia and whose members were clearly psychologically unstable.  Perhaps the subject of unexplained msyteries attracts the same kind of people, because I find here a culture which is pretty well identical to the pagan forum.  I feel therefore that in your best interests I should leave this forum.
you wont be missed.

View PostEmma_Acid, on 10 March 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

So you've decided to call it a day because no one here is stupid enough to buy your "I have better insight than any of you" shpiel? How predictable.

very predictable, and sad. time for her to peddle her stuff elsewhere i guess.

#32    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:57 PM

View PostEmma_Acid, on 10 March 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

So you've decided to call it a day because no one here is stupid enough to buy your "I have better insight than any of you" shpiel? How predictable.

Actually, bad news for some, but I have reconsidered and think, or perhaps it would be more correct to say "hope against hope", that there may be someone on this forum that is saveable.  And for even one, it may be worth my while.

#33    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 14 March 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

Actually, bad news for some, but I have reconsidered and think, or perhaps it would be more correct to say "hope against hope", that there may be someone on this forum that is saveable.  And for even one, it may be worth my while.

Strange, you sound more like some sort of fundamentalist Christian than a scientist.

Edited by ExpandMyMind, 14 March 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#34    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:05 PM

View PostIron_Lotus, on 10 March 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

you wont be missed.

Sigh.  After less than a week away I have found myself so lonely for the charm, friendliness and goodwill that is SO much a characteristic of this forum, that I just had to come back!

#35    pantodragon

pantodragon

Remote Viewer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:07 PM

View PostExpandMyMind, on 14 March 2013 - 03:58 PM, said:

Strange, you sound more like some sort of fundamentalist Christian than a scientist.

Are you for real?

PS: I notice your name ExpandMyMind.  A woprd of caution: when you expand a vacuum, it implodes.....

#36    ExpandMyMind

ExpandMyMind

Telekinetic

• Closed
  • 6,628 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:22 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 14 March 2013 - 04:07 PM, said:

Are you for real?

PS: I notice your name ExpandMyMind.  A woprd of caution: when you expand a vacuum, it implodes.....

Lol, that was funny.

Seriously though, you're talking about 'saving' people from science (the devil). This is the way your posts read. You have put forth an opinion, but haven't backed it up with anything substantial. We're being told that we're wrong and your right <full stop> based on nothing more than your opinions.

Yeah, sure sounds similar to a religious fundamentalist.

#37    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 March 2013 - 04:27 PM

Those with ears to hear will hear.  Who needs stinkin evidence.

#38    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,097 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

View Postpantodragon, on 14 March 2013 - 04:05 PM, said:

Sigh.  After less than a week away I have found myself so lonely for the charm, friendliness and goodwill that is SO much a characteristic of this forum, that I just had to come back!
Well, find a friend (I mean big F) in REAL life, and all of your probs will be solved. Asking for friendliness and goodwill on the forums... thats naïve.

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#39    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:04 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 14 March 2013 - 06:00 PM, said:

Well, find a friend (I mean big F) in REAL life, and all of your probs will be solved. Asking for friendliness and goodwill on the forums... thats na´ve.
I don't know; I think I've met friends here.  Not such that I would borrow money from them, but still people I can tell things to that I don't say other places, and that is one of the things friends are for.

#40    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,097 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 March 2013 - 06:04 PM, said:

I don't know; I think I've met friends here.  Not such that I would borrow money from them, but still people I can tell things to that I don't say other places, and that is one of the things friends are for.
There are no friends on the net. Friends are only in real life. On the line we all can give fancy speeches, this that - bad, this that - good. In the end of the day it just remain words, hot air, nothing more...

Arguing with fool is like playing chess with pigeon: he will scatter pieces, peck King's crown, crap on bishop, and fly away bragging how he won the game... (heard once, author unknown).
Zhoom! What was that? That was your life, Mate! Oh, that was quick. Do I get another? Sorry, Mate. That's your lot. Basil Fawlty (John Cleese).

#41    Frank Merton

Frank Merton

Blue fish

• 14,359 posts

• fmerton.blogspot.com

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:52 PM

Oh I can see an argument coming.  To bad since it's early morning here and I gotta go soon.  

What is a friend?  Some of the people who say they love me ("love" is a word much more freely used in Vietnam than in the states) do not and if the reward were great enough would betray.  I still think of them as friends because I know no one is perfect and we have to take people as they are; the good and the bad together, and avoid trying to remake them.

As far as I'm concerned one cannot have too many friends, and one takes them where one finds them.  I'm a bit of an invalid now so I'm dependant on people coming to visit me.  I get lots of visitors, but they only stay a few moments and then my room is empty again.  Not that I feel bad about it.  All I gotta do is get on the phone and I could fill the room with people, but I still like thinking that some of the people around the world that I butt heads with are also friends.

#42    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,046 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:01 PM

I think the important thing here is that a Friend will listen without Judging, unless a Criminal Activity is involved, then it is a False Friend. A friend is someone you may never meet, and will give you support and encouragement, a false friend will be in your face to get something. IMO

#43    bmk1245

bmk1245

puny village idiot

• 4,097 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 14 March 2013 - 06:52 PM, said:

Oh I can see an argument coming.  To bad since it's early morning here and I gotta go soon.  

What is a friend?  Some of the people who say they love me ("love" is a word much more freely used in Vietnam than in the states) do not and if the reward were great enough would betray.  I still think of them as friends because I know no one is perfect and we have to take people as they are; the good and the bad together, and avoid trying to remake them.

As far as I'm concerned one cannot have too many friends, and one takes them where one finds them.  I'm a bit of an invalid now so I'm dependant on people coming to visit me. I get lots of visitors, but they only stay a few moments and then my room is empty again.  Not that I feel bad about it.  All I gotta do is get on the phone and I could fill the room with people, but I still like thinking that some of the people around the world that I butt heads with are also friends.
And how many friends are of those visitors?

View Postkeithisco, on 14 March 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

I think the important thing here is that a Friend will listen without Judging, unless a Criminal Activity is involved, then it is a False Friend. A friend is someone you may never meet, and will give you support and encouragement, a false friend will be in your face to get something. IMO
Isn't that internet for? Will you be my friend, please (damn, can't find appropriate smiley for that)... Ah, found it - :sk

#44    keithisco

keithisco

Majestic 12 Operative

• 6,046 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 14 March 2013 - 07:13 PM, said:

And how many friends are of those visitors?

Isn't that internet for? Will you be my friend, please (damn, can't find appropriate smiley for that)... Ah, found it - :sk

When I say "in your face", I mean a physical presence.

#45    Big Bad Voodoo

Big Bad Voodoo

High priest of Darwinism

• 9,582 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 09:00 PM

View Postbmk1245, on 14 March 2013 - 06:45 PM, said:

There are no friends on the net. Friends are only in real life.

If you dont belive in globalization and new technology.
But in a sense its true what you saying BUT...It could be a wonderful beging of real friendship.
Also I met some realy good friends here. Only difference with them and real friends is that I dont drink coffe with them from time to time, congrats b-day and come on BBQs.
With internet you can easily link with people who think on same level as you.

edit: couldnt resist.

Edited by the L, 14 March 2013 - 09:01 PM.

JFK: "And we are as a people, inherently and historically, opposed to secret societies, to secret oaths, and to secret proceedings.
For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users