Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why do people not research before replying?

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#1    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

After a recent topic ( and many older ones ) I often ask myself why people do not do a little bit of research on a topic before replying?

A lot of times, simple things can be found in a ten minute search..

Names do not exist.

Places do not exist.

Photo is from a known advertisement. ( Plumbing service, " sewer monster " )

I can say, most of the time, just a bit of research beyond " paranormal " on the internet alone will yield strong results and answers. ( phone calls help also, and emails )....

What makes people so positive about things, and so defensive, if they have not even spent a small amount of time to look for facts, or lies?..Then, the same people argue with someone who did do that, and posted the information? Without spending 5 minutes to verify the information given?

Also to note, if a 10 minute search does not give answers, emails and phone calls will....I understand not many are willing to go this far, not sure why on that either.

Anyway, hoping maybe some of the type of people I am talking about can answer this.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

http://petsupports.com/a04/sakari.htm

#2    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,071 posts
  • Location:"Here the tide is ruled, by the wind, the moon and us."

• God created the world, but the Dutch created the Netherlands

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:29 PM

Dreaming is a lot easier than searching.

#3    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,859 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

POPULAR

Because this isn't a science project.

A lot of people are here to relax, browse the forums, connect with friends, comment on a few threads that take their interest or post something that they feel others would find interesting. Nobody should be expected to conduct an investigation or make phone calls to research a topic before being eligible to participate - that's ridiculous.

#4    ouija ouija

ouija ouija

Njuggle

• 9,537 posts

• I never walk alone.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:44 PM

View PostSaru, on 22 September 2012 - 04:41 PM, said:

that's ridiculous.

nothing more to be said :D

Life is all too much ............................................. and not enough.

It is only when you form your question precisely and accurately that you receive the true answer.

#5    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,071 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 04:50 PM

A lot of people are here to relax, browse the forums, connect with friends, comment on a few threads that take their interest or post something that they feel others would find interesting. Nobody should be expected to conduct an investigation or make phone calls to research a topic before being eligible to participate - that's ridiculous.

One can see from a first post if someone is just in a relaxed, chatting mood, or that they have been thinking about something a lot and then decided to start a new thread about it.

In the second case it often (no, not always) happens that despite someone saying a subject interests them a lot and even for years, they still show not even having tried a simple search, either on this site or on the internet in general.

#6    Abramelin

Abramelin

-

• 18,071 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:00 PM

Recently someone started a thread in the "Alternative History" forum about a 11,000 years old temple.

I noticed she had made only 28 posts or something, and from that I assumed she may not have known how to use the search tool of UM, so all I wanted to do, as a start, was post a screenshot of search results, using "Göbekli" as keyword.

But while I was busy, someone else already tried to rub it in she should have done this and that first, lol.

Well, I understood his obvious irritation, but instead of adding to the bickering, I simply 'took over' and kept adding new info to the thread, info not posted on UM before.

Now I am not suggesting I am a saint, but most often I just reply with posting links to older threads about the same subject.

#7    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

• Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:11 PM

I understand the browse forums, connect with friends, and comment on threads...

I guess I should have been more clear....If I am going to post on a topic, and state things such as " the belemontive canyon is 23 miles long, and can easily support a spaghetti monster ", I think I should check on that before posting it.

I never said anyone needs to make a phone call or make a email, I am only saying a lot of these topics are people asking for help, or answers, and yes, this is a good place to get them.

I am not saying to be eligible to participate requires making a phone call, I am just curious why some people do not do a simple google search themselves. Because many times, the answer is right there.

I find it ridiculous to not investigate something if one has questions about it....Isn't that what this is all about?.....Investigating is part of the discussion, a lot of times the discussions from all sides are " investigating ", and helping each other to find answers.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#8    little_dreamer

little_dreamer

Poltergeist

• 3,230 posts

• We did not understand it all, but somehow we survived.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

'cuz peoples is lazy, that's all...

I am another anonymous face in the crowd. I am just another tiny wheel in the machinery of the world I live in.

#9    Sakari

Sakari

tohi

• 11,828 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

I do need to add :

When I first joined UM, I actually did learn a lot here....So, UM is also a tool to research things.

Also, it does give me something to do, as I do enjoy it.....So, maybe I should not b**** to much.

Edited by Sakari, 22 September 2012 - 05:19 PM.

Our Wolf's Memorial Page

#10    Jackofalltrades

Jackofalltrades

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

• Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today...
    As You don't know what tomorrow bring's.......

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I agree with Saru, but I can also understand and partially agree with Sakari

I have seen discussion's that could be solved if either party would actually do some research on the subject in question, or one person on the discussion has done research but the other person has not and will not accept anything the other person is putting forward as evidence even though they have no idea as to whether it is true or not

Posted Image

#11    JGirl

JGirl

Pajama Goddess

• 8,915 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

on the internet, as in life, if you are going to argue you best have your ducks in a row.
i think that's what sakari is referring to. there are many posters that merely barf out stuff without any basis for their claims or beliefs, and yet they will spam a thread with it.
when others in the discussion try to pin them down they often get defensive and go off on a tangent and then the thread is derailed.
i can think of one member lately who is such a post monger on certain threads i don't even bother to visit them anymore. he goes on and on how he is persecuted here yet continues to post unsubstantiated crap and will not give credible sources when asked. merely plays the victim card.
so yeah, do your research if you want to argue here. otherwise by all means, relax and enjoy the ride. no one said you have to do anything at all.

JGirl's official tune of the day - hear it here!

Posted Image.. but as for this house of cards you are building..  a butterfly fart would knock it down.

#12    Saru

Saru

Site Webmaster

• 19,859 posts

• "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." - Albert Einstein

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

Moving this to 'Philosophy and Psychology' as it isn't really anything to do with Cryptozoology

View PostJackofalltrades, on 22 September 2012 - 05:23 PM, said:

one person on the discussion has done research but the other person has not and will not accept anything the other person is putting forward as evidence even though they have no idea as to whether it is true or not
This tends to be more to do with someone being stubborn and unwilling to admit to being wrong than it is about doing research.

#13    sickpuppy

sickpuppy

tinfoil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:51 PM

ah.. wise saru

What makes people so positive about things, and so defensive, if they have not even spent a small amount of time to look for facts, or lies?..Then, the same people argue with someone who did do that, and posted the information? Without spending 5 minutes to verify the information given?
new information often shatters previous information.
a person who still only has the seed of the thing, doesn't yet know what grows out of that seed.

at that point, the seed could contain anything [referencing: imagination, fantasy, creative potential] -- a wrapped gift, if you will.
this is all conjured from emotions, rather than any real logic.

when you come along, and tell them what's inside that seed .. you essentially destroy that emotional construct. somebody may have taken a lot of time investing in a nice cosy little santa belief system, you know what i mean?

the problem you're having is, you are telling children santa claus doesn't exist, but you yourself still can't explain how the gifts are left behind.

also,

Also to note, if a 10 minute search does not give answers, emails and phone calls will....I understand not many are willing to go this far, not sure why on that either.
..we're all looking for the same thing ..you want to know who or what this gift-bringer is.
i see your comments a fair bit, i think you're a sensible and intelligent person who is genuinely looking for these answers.
from my own research and experience, i'm thinking now of a passage i think Jung wrote, something about "the one who approaches the face of the waters to see his own reflection, this experience is sufficient enough to frighten off most people"

most people are being scared off after 10 minutes you say?
..and you've past that?
..imagine what's out there waiting to scare you off :whistle:

My contribution is deciding how giant mutant space goats travel in space.
Newton's Second Law: For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. They fart themselves around.

#14    _Only

_Only

• 6,463 posts

• Did you ever grow anything in the garden of your mind? You can grow ideas, in the garden of your mind. - Mr. Rogers

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:58 PM

Some people aren't into researching things. You can't expect everyone to be like you.

I love to make mashups! Click here to hear!
I also love taking pictures! Click here to see!
I love to play drums, too! Whatever you do, don't click here!

#15    mysticwerewolf

mysticwerewolf

Extraterrestrial Entity

• PipPipPip
  • 405 posts

• let thy insanity keep thee sane, but if that doesn't work then go fishing... I need to go fishing real Real bad!.. catch a big one

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:03 PM

heres one for thought, research is the reason i came to this site. i was told that most of the people here were intelligent and knowledgeable on the subjects i was interested in ( UFOs  Ghosts and a couple other things)  there was a wide range of subjects  and that there were conversations instead of trolls screaming at each other and that perhaps i could listen to those conversations to find whatever it was that i was looking for.
nuff said

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users