Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

Is too much praise good for you?

compliments praise task

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31    Jinxdom

Jinxdom

Astral Projection

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

• Education...has produced a vast population able to read but unable to distinguish what is worth reading.
    -- G.M. Trevelyan

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:30 PM

lol I work better without praise, praise makes me complacent with what I am doing. I no longer go from what works best to hey ok this is good enough I guess. Less likely to change my ways for the better. Need to have the balance of bad remarks as well so I can show fools that they are wrong which makes me go outside of my normal way of thinking :P

#32    Mr Right Wing

Mr Right Wing

Poltergeist

• Banned
  • 2,924 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostDrayno, on 13 November 2012 - 11:46 PM, said:

Praise can be a detriment as it can boost ego and promote arrogance in the wrong person.

But it can also positively boost confidence in the right person, and as the article implied, improve task performance.

People have psychological needs such as self-esteem needs.

If you want your kid to live up to its full potential in life you need to give it positive recognition, positve status and positive praise. Giving them high self-esteem doesnt make them elitest or arrogant. Teaching them not to be considerate towards others does. That means dont let them see you putting down others who are below you but let them see you showing understanding for their circumstances.

Try pointing out a few positive things to them each week so they believe they are special instead of defective or merely normal. If they believe they are special they will go far in life.

#33    Ryu

Ryu

Born to fail.

• 3,725 posts

• One often meets his destiny on the road he takes to avoid it. ~ Master Oogway, Kung Fu Panda

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:10 PM

View PostMr Right Wing, on 18 November 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

Try pointing out a few positive things to them each week so they believe they are special instead of defective or merely normal. If they believe they are special they will go far in life.

I do not think the aim should ever be to make them feel special as I think this is a detriment to their development. Instead they could be helped to feel competent instead. That goes farther than the "special" label we slap on them.

#34    starchild1976

starchild1976

Alien Embryo

• Pip
  • 83 posts

• Truth is stranger than fiction.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:34 AM

I don't know let me call you an idiot and see if that increases your self esteem. I'm not completely serious, I have no way of knowing if you are idiot. Notice, I said I'm not completely serious. Why do people rely so much as psycho babble and all those blessed studies which are subject to certain conditions and only represent a fraction of humankind?

Also tagged with compliments, praise, task

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users