Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

* * * * * 1 votes

Anger over Australian supermarket 'no Indians

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#16    Ashotep

Ashotep

Telekinetic

• 7,088 posts

• Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway-John Wayne

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:37 PM

I think people should be able to hire who they want, as long as they are legal citizens, its their business and they pay the salary.

#17    s33ker

s33ker

Remote Viewer

• PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

• Believe anything until proven otherwise, otherwise believe nothing until proven.

Posted 19 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

It's because their not good cleaners like Mexicans.

heheheh...

#18    Idano

Idano

Ectoplasmic Residue

• Pip
  • 225 posts

• If life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
    Ron White

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Australia sounds like USA. Here we can't advertise for certain ethnicity and race we must discriminate BEHIND close doors and unfortunately most times we get away with it...

What could possibly go wrong?

#19    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,247 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:02 AM

View Postioppolo, on 09 September 2012 - 04:14 AM, said:

Personally I don't see any problem with them specifically saying "no (insert race here)". A majority of people seriously need to get a grip.

I agree. And suggested once at a monthly meet that we put "No Australians" on a new ad for customer service staff... simply because it annoys some folk in Britain that some Aussies ask you a question with every sentence they utter.  Really annoys.  Plus of course, you are all convicts.

I was given a verbal warning.  :)

(lol)

#20    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

• I am Junior Chubb, son of the Chubb, father of Chubb III

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

View PostEldorado, on 29 August 2012 - 01:35 PM, said:

Meh.. nobody complains when the Ads say "No Cowboys!".  :(

There is a 'building' firm near me that is run by an Indian family, the tag line on there business cards and promotional gear is...

'You have tried the cowboys, now try the Indians'

It always makes me smile when I see it. :)

Back to the story and thread in general, and as usual a 'race' related thread on UM exposes a few uncultured points of view...

Edited by Junior Chubb, 20 September 2012 - 11:25 AM.

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#21    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,247 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:37 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 September 2012 - 11:23 AM, said:

Back to the story and thread in general, and as usual a 'race' related thread on UM exposes a few uncultured points of view...

Depends on how you define "uncultured".

"Politically Correct" however is as uncultured as you can get, in my opinion. (You cannot say what you feel in your own words in case it offends someone, somewhere)

#22    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

View PostEldorado, on 20 September 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

Depends on how you define "uncultured".

"Politically Correct" however is as uncultured as you can get, in my opinion. (You cannot say what you feel in your own words in case it offends someone, somewhere)

Unfortunately there are so many of us these day's there are multiple definitions for everything and upsetting the apple-cart is unavoidable at times, intentional or not.

I went for 'uncultured' as it was the politest word I could think of to get my point across, I really enjoy UM but sometimes I feel what I read in threads of this nature lets down the site. I could go into more detail and quote individual posts, but I have done this here and on other forums and it goes nowhere, fast. It is also unfair on the individuals because it is hard to decipher the true intent of a comment, and that intent can also be 'changed' after posting.

I am for all for free speech, but that also includes me being able to say, 'hey buddy, your speech sucks!'

Click here to view Unexplained Mysteries 5 Millionth post by Helen of Annoy, while you're there lets see if we can give it 5 Million likes (sorry Biff).

#23    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,247 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 September 2012 - 11:48 AM, said:

Unfortunately there are so many of us these day's there are multiple definitions for everything and upsetting the apple-cart is unavoidable at times, intentional or not.

I went for 'uncultured' as it was the politest word I could think of to get my point across, I really enjoy UM but sometimes I feel what I read in threads of this nature lets down the site. I could go into more detail and quote individual posts, but I have done this here and on other forums and it goes nowhere, fast. It is also unfair on the individuals because it is hard to decipher the true intent of a comment, and that intent can also be 'changed' after posting.

I am for all for free speech, but that also includes me being able to say, 'hey buddy, your speech sucks!'

Is it not better to read and hear a persons honest words and see them for what they are, than have everyone speak "nicely" but falsely?  That's what we are doing, imo.  :(

Everything 'looks' nice, so everything must 'be' nice.  aka BS.  aka kidding ourselves.

Edited by Eldorado, 20 September 2012 - 11:59 AM.

#24    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostEldorado, on 20 September 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Is it not better to read and hear a persons honest words and see them for what they are, than have everyone speak "nicely" but falsely?  That's what we are doing, imo.  :(

Everything 'looks' nice, so everything must 'be' nice.  aka BS.  aka kidding ourselves.

Yes, 100%. But its this truth that saddens me, especially on a site where you would expect a slightly more *intelligent than average user. This is what I was expressing.

*I know intelligence is not a yard stick for opinion, but ignorance is caused by lack of education.

#25    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,247 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 September 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

ignorance is caused by lack of education.

With respect...
Lack of a proper education.  As you know, even the educated can be bigoted.  Our current UK Cabinet for example all went to "schools of excellence"... where bullying is actively encouraged by the faculty.  It's tradition, after all.

p.s. I blame Alf Garnett.

(lol)

Edited by Eldorado, 20 September 2012 - 01:02 PM.

#26    DKO

DKO

Ω is Futile.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

• When you hear hoofbeats behind you, don't expect to see a zebra - Unless you're in Africa...

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:41 PM

I hate all this political correctness these days. In the past people weren't offended easily, nowadays the slightest thing sets people off.

In my grandparents days, The white and black Australians (Aborigines) would call each other white fellas and black fellas. They weren't being offensive, they would say it affectionately. Nowadays people say that's 'racist'. Even though they didn't feel that way.

And also Coles is a major supermarket here, in main competition with Woolworths. They wouldn't post ads on the website Gumtree. That site is mainly for people to sell second hand items etc. Probably just some joke played by an average Joe.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe it. - Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Confucius Says:

Man who runs behind car gets exhausted.

Man who wants pretty nurse must be patient.

#27    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 12:51 PM

View PostEldorado, on 20 September 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

With respect...
Lack of a proper education.  As you know, even the educated can be bigoted.  Our current Cabinet for example all went to "schools of excellence"... where bullying is actively encouraged.  It's tradition after all. :)

Sorry, I was not referring to education as in where you were schooled, just education in general, as in what you know and have learn't in the University of Life... Maybe knowledge would be more suitable choice of words.

It is a great example though, as 'intelligent' as some of these you mention are they display all the hallmarks of stupidity and ignorance.

What I find here are comments of a similar nature, despite some obviously intelligent people on UM, a thread like this throws up some unintelligent comments. People have the right to make them, people have the right to challenge them, me though I find them sad, maybe even embarrassing at times.

Edited to add: Elly (can I call you Elly ;) ). With respect, you don't need to add 'with respect' when addressing me m' ol' mucker. :)

Edited by Junior Chubb, 20 September 2012 - 12:53 PM.

#28    Eldorado

Eldorado

Unforgiven

• 9,247 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:59 PM

View PostJunior Chubb, on 20 September 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

Edited to add: Elly (can I call you Elly ;) ). With respect, you don't need to add 'with respect' when addressing me m' ol' mucker. :)

Please don't.  Elly is an Auntie name.  :gun:

I was taught to always show respect to people I don't really know who look and sound like they may deserve respect. :)  Once you know them though, it's game-on.

Now that I know you a little better...  (lol)

#29    Junior Chubb

Junior Chubb

Enlightened

• 3,932 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

View PostEldorado, on 20 September 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Please don't.  Elly is an Auntie name.  :gun:

I was taught to always show respect to people I don't really know who look and sound like they may deserve respect. :)  Once you know them though, it's game-on.

Now that I know you a little better...  (lol)

Lol, it doesn't match your choice of avatars either...

Game on!, But I will stay of your lawn...

Just seen you posted an Alf Garnet clip, I am supposed to be working so I will have to watch it later... :(

Edited by Junior Chubb, 20 September 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#30    chopmo

chopmo

Apparition

• PipPip
  • 323 posts

• aaaah rabble rabble rabble rabble

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Oi! watch it... I don't want my daughter having to be "sorry" for something that has no relation with the general public of her time.

why is everyone so &^%$ing concerned with "the end"...
new beginnings is what you should be concerned about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users