Welcome to Unexplained Mysteries! Please sign in or create an account to start posting and to access a host of extra features.

- - - - -

It's all in a Name!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16    Taun

Taun

A dashing moose about town...

• 4,566 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:33 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

This gives me an excuse to ask a question, are the names Dickens gave his characters typical of that period or things he invented?

Good question... I always assumed that many of his characters were given the names they were because the names were evocative of the characters personnality...

#17    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,245 posts

• Vampires are people too.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:36 PM

View Postxsas, on 26 April 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

I ended up looking through Internet Movie Database (IMDB) for a popular name and 'Uncredited' seemed to be pretty popular?
That's usually the one who doesn't get a speaking part, and is never identified by name, and whose character exists in order to provide someone to get shot, isn't it?

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#18    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

• Hige sceal e heardra, heorte e cenre, mod sceal e mare, e ure mgen lytla.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:38 PM

View PostFrank Merton, on 26 April 2013 - 04:23 PM, said:

This gives me an excuse to ask a question, are the names Dickens gave his characters typical of that period or things he invented?

The names of Dickensian characters are inventions of the author, although many of the characters themselves are based on actual people known to Dickens. Eg. Wilkins Micawber and William Dorrit was based on Dickens' father, Mrs. Nickleby - his mother.

Names of Dickens' characters are some of the most unique in fiction. Characters such as Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Bumble, Pumblechook and M'Choakumchild  are recognizable as Dickensian even by those unfamiliar with the stories.

According to John R. Greenfield, in his Dictionary of British Characters, Dickens created 989 named characters during his career.

Edited by ealdwita, 26 April 2013 - 04:38 PM.

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#19    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

My freestyle rapping career didn't work out, so I came back

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

Celebrity chef, Jamie Oliver named his children:
  • Poppy Honey Rosie Oliver
  • Daisy Boo Pamela Oliver
  • Petal Blossom Rainbow Oliver
  • Buddy Bear Maurice Oliver

Posted Image

#20    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

• The illegitimate love-child of Strategy and Creativity. Sex God, Entrepreneur, Super Hero, Rapper, Table Dancer.

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:43 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 April 2013 - 04:38 PM, said:

The names of Dickensian characters are inventions of the author, although many of the characters themselves are based on actual people known to Dickens. Eg. Wilkins Micawber and William Dorrit was based on Dickens' father, Mrs. Nickleby - his mother.

Names of Dickens' characters are some of the most unique in fiction. Characters such as Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Bumble, Pumblechook and M'Choakumchild  are recognizable as Dickensian even by those unfamiliar with the stories.

According to John R. Greenfield, in his Dictionary of British Characters, Dickens created 989 named characters during his career.

'Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Pumblechook' are great names. I could handle one of those for my name. Pumblechook & Sweedlepipe roll nicely off the tongue.

Posted Image

#21    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,245 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:51 PM

I was just reading about some of Dickens' characters as well. There's a thing here --> http://www.telegraph...characters.html the Telegraph did about various Telegraph writers' favourite Dickens characters, and a good selection of names.

" Dickens revelled in preposterous names – Bayham Badger, Cornelia Blimber, Serjeant Buzfuz, Anne Chickenstalker, Mr Fezziwig, Paul Sweedlepipe, Lucretia Tox, Mr Wopsle – and handed them out with care. Just the word “Pumblechook” told you instructive things about its pompous and hypocritical owner."

Life is a hideous business, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#22    Colonel Rhubarb

Colonel Rhubarb

Scrupulously Polite

• 22,245 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

View Postxsas, on 26 April 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

Celebrity chef, Jamie Oliver named his children:
  • Poppy Honey Rosie Oliver
  • Daisy Boo Pamela Oliver
  • Petal Blossom Rainbow Oliver
  • Buddy Bear Maurice Oliver
At least Poppy Honey Rosie, Daisy Boo Pamela and Buddy Bear Maurice have at least one reasonably sensible name they can fall back on, but the best that poor old Petal Blossom Rainbow could hope for is Blossom.

H. P. Lovecraft.

Posted Image

#23    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 04:54 PM

View Postxsas, on 26 April 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

'Sweedlepipe, Honeythunder, Pumblechook' are great names. I could handle one of those for my name. Pumblechook & Sweedlepipe roll nicely off the tongue.

Paul (Poll) Sweedlepipe (barber and bird-fancier) appears in 'Martin Chuzzlewit'......."Poll Sweedlepipe's house was one great bird's nest. Gamecocks resided in the kitchen; pheasants wasted the brightness of their golden plumage on the garret; bantams roosted in the cellar; owls had possession of the bedroom; and specimens of all the smaller fry of birds chirrupped and twittered in the shop."

Luke Honeythunder (The Mystery of Edwin Drood),  Loud, overbearing philanthropist and guardian of Neville and Helena Landless.

Pumblechook (Great Expectations).  Hypocritical and well-to-do corn-chandler in the nearest town, and drove his own chaise-cart. ....."A large hard-breathing middle-aged slow man, with a mouth like a fish, dull staring eyes, and sandy hair standing upright on his head, so that he looked as if he had just been all but choked."

Sorry - I'm a Dickens fan...as if it didn't show!

"G a wyrd swa hio scel, ac gecnwan n gef!": "Fate goes ever as she shall, but know thine enemy!".

"I was born with a priceless gift - the ability to laugh at other peoples' troubles" - Dame Edna Everage

#24    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,048 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 April 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

For many years, Bob Geldof (of Boomtown Rats fame) has had a tradition of giving his offspring ridiculous, trendy names.......starting off with Fifi Trixibell (1983), then Peaches Honeyblossom (1989), followed by Little Pixie (1990), then Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily (1996). OK, I hear you say, just another show-biz luvvy being trendy, and I agree. A problem seems to have arisen though. The fragrant Peaches Honeyblossom has just given birth to a son (I highlight that for a reason), and following Dad's lead, has duly named him Phaedra, (because, she says it's the title of her favourite album by Tangerine Dream). Unfortunately, as you Greek myth enthusiasts on this site will doubtless know, Phaedra is the daughter of Minos and Pasiphaë! Perhaps a little less posturing and a little more research was needed!

While we're on the subject - I chortled long and loud when I realised what Angelina Joli and Brad Pitt had called their son and heir.....Shilo, Shilo Pitt! What a magnificent Spoonerism!
  I knew a Thomas Arto ! groan....

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#25    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:01 PM

View Postspud the mackem, on 26 April 2013 - 05:00 PM, said:

I knew a Thomas Arto ! groan....

Was he that drinking pal of Hugh Janus?

#26    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:02 PM

You don't come across many of these names on the Parade Ground.

Posted Image

#27    ealdwita

ealdwita

Hwt oredmcg

• 4,539 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:05 PM

View Postxsas, on 26 April 2013 - 05:02 PM, said:

You don't come across many of these names on the Parade Ground.

In my regiment, nearly every bugger was called Gurung!

#28    spud the mackem

spud the mackem

Spud the Mackem

• 3,048 posts

• man who ask for nothing shall never be disappointed

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 April 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

Was he that drinking pal of Hugh Janus?
  No his mate was Ben Dover hee hee.

(1) try your best, ............if that dont work.
(2) try your second best, ........if that dont work
(3) give up you aint gonna win

#29    Ohelemapit

Ohelemapit

• 6,293 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:13 PM

View Postealdwita, on 26 April 2013 - 05:05 PM, said:

In my regiment, nearly every bugger was called Gurung!

:lol: What.. not even a 'Chalky White' He was a boy, especially turning up to Court in Polka dot dress.

Posted Image

#30    freetoroam

freetoroam

Honourary member of the UM asylum

• 5,685 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hubby once  sent off for free batteries, put name as Jack Miorf, got the batteries. :tu:

He also ordered some seats off ebay once and had the name Roger McHunt, got them too.

So glad we do not have children together!

In an ideal World a law would be passed were NO guns were allowed and all those out there destroyed, trouble is the law makers are not going to take a risk of trying to pass that without making sure they are armed first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users