Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Response being sent to Wow! signal

A team from the National Geographic are working to respond to the famous 1977 transmission.

If there's something you'd like to say to aliens, now's your chance. The Wow! signal, a mysterious radio transmission detected in 1977 that may or may not have come from extraterrestrials, is finally getting a response from humanity.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Why now?

Also I thought they said it was just a natural noise a while back?

Edited by Coffey
  • Like 1

any reason to wait 35 years before replying?

We are Americans, the biggest procratinators on the planet. :D

• Like 2

If it was an advanced civilization, they would gain nothing from us. Might use us as pets (dibs on being a kitty), or a zoo. We can offer them nothing. Perhaps we could offer to trade universal knowledge and compare data. However, the likely hood that they're even remotely close to us is slim to none and this Wow noise is actually a natural noise..

• Like 4

So they intend to send our personal messages and hope the "Alien Scientists" have better luck decoding them than we have the WOW signal. Actually, I hope they don't stand a chance decoding it, can you imagine what some folk are gonna be saying? I'd rather not be associated with them kind of sound bites on a cosmic scale if you don't mind Mr National Geographic, hmm.

• Like 2

Warning: Young, violent, savage race. Keep away.

• Like 9

If the WOW signal was something of intelligent origin and we reply to it now, we'll all be dead before there's another response.

Also, the little green guys on the planet that sent it probably assumed there was nothing here when we failed to reply - 35 years would would be a long time monitoring and infinitesimally small area of space.

Some other earth-like planet probably replied promptly and reaped the benefits anyway...

I dont know, I would hope a civilization more advanced than ours would send something other then "WOW".

i dont beleive it was an actual "WOW" i think that was hand written next to the signal anomly

• Like 2

I dont know, I would hope a civilization more advanced than ours would send something other then "WOW".

It's OK, they sent it in 'Times New Roman' font. If it was in Comic Sans I would begin to question their level of intelligence...

They've only just got round to it? I think frankly I'd have got fed up waiting for a reply by now. Particualalry since, wherever it came from, it would probably have taken several years to get here, and so would our reply take to get to wherever they're thinking of sending it to.

Edited by 747400

Um.. that was 30 years ago. They've only just got round to it? I think frankly I'd have got fed up waiting for a reply by now. Particualalry since, wherever it came from, it would probably have taken several years to get here, and so would our reply take to get to wherever they're thinking of sending it to.

That can be our excuse for taking so long to reply though. We lie and say we replied straight away... It just takes ages to get back. lol

Actually we shouldn't start a new friendship (if we made one) by lying. But they might presume we are further awya if we don't mention the date of recieving it and replying. Might save ourselves if they are more advanced and not intrested in being friends. lol

Just say We tried ! ANd by the way , What plan are youz guys on were on ATT, I bet you guys have Verizon or something better ,right ?

Well anywho ! We did recieve the pizza`s and they were cold as you must of known ! So this time send us directions back to your planet !

I promise were a very Happy and Peaceful beings ! You can ask anyone !

signed "JUST DONTEATUS"

Hahaha ... thanks for the chuckle :)

One of the possible stars that this could have been sent from has gone supernova in the meantime....its cool to think that maybe it was a one-time SOS call from a race not too much above our technological level (advanced enough to sent it, not advanced enough to move planets). Chances are though, that it was natural noise.

Interesting. I've never heard of the WoW signal.

Wait a minute.....

Maybe they want a game? So they had WoW back in 77.... They must be more advanced than us?!

I think it was probably just their way of saying "OMG", or "LOL".

maybe that was it. it was really the LOL signal.

when he said "wow" I hope he didnt mean War of Worlds

If it was an advanced civilization, they would gain nothing from us. Might use us as pets (dibs on being a kitty), or a zoo. We can offer them nothing. Perhaps we could offer to trade universal knowledge and compare data. However, the likely hood that they're even remotely close to us is slim to none and this Wow noise is actually a natural noise..

A natural noise has to be created by something or that something would not exist

Yes, but that 'something' could be anything, like a passing beam of a neutron star. It was only detected once, which does seem to lean towards a natural event - if it was an attempt at communication I would have hoped they'd repeat it over a few days/hours etc. Perhaps whatever it was, wasn't for us - maybe we just got lucky and intercepted an alien transmission to a ship in Earth orbit....we'll probably never know.