Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Does the 'Leaf Man' haunt the Sussex woods?

UM-Bot

Local folklore in Southern England tells of a mysterious humanoid creature covered in hair and leaves.

When it comes to stories of strange creatures lurking in the woods the UK doesn't tend to be the first place you think of, yet down in the historic English county of Sussex there exists the little-known legend of a creature known as 'Leaf Man'.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/281579/does-the-leaf-man-haunt-the-sussex-woods

• Like 4

WTF is the "Leaf Man"? I guess that his (or her) weakness would be a leaf blower?

Edited by ancient astronaut
  • Like 7

Today they call it camouflage. That man could have been very rich, if he only patent it.

e819e0429c90684cd045635e25ed1dc4.jpg

• Like 4

• Like 1

Another hairy wild man-like beast who lives in the woods.

Man, that bigfoot is everywhere.

A personification of the Green Man, from old English folkore, possibly?

Or more likely as has been already mentioned, a prat in a ghillie suit mucking around...

World War II Military sniper man, who thinks the war is still on..

bf4-history-of-recon-7_2.png

Edited by MissJatti

Leaf-Man has been around awhile. I would love an episode for monster-of-the-week for the new X-Files reboot.

• Like 1

Its been well known in UK mythology...that many ancient legends of monsters in the woods were born out of people protecting some land... like good foraging spots, or places where mushrooms grow abundantly..or sources of pure clean water..etc etc

A ruse to keep people away from ceratin spots by filling their mind with dreadfull tales

A good example is my own childhood. A patch of trees that were once a larger wood was called by locals...'snake pit island'....and tales of huge snakes that ate children...and banshees at night

As kids we went everywhere except in that spot. As older kids we risked it...it was just boggy in places, but apart from that...no snakes!

We didnt realise as kids that we have NO large or aggressive snakes in the UK, in fact Ive never seen a wild one ever...

Kept us away for years tho :lol:

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Its been well known in UK mythology...that many ancient legends of monsters in the woods were born out of people protecting some land... like good foraging spots, or places where mushrooms grow abundantly..or sources of pure clean water..etc etc

A ruse to keep people away from ceratin spots by filling their mind with dreadfull tales

A good example is my own childhood. A patch of trees that were once a larger wood was called by locals...'snake pit island'....and tales of huge snakes that ate children...and banshees at night

As kids we went everywhere except in that spot. As older kids we risked it...it was just boggy in places, but apart from that...no snakes!

We didnt realise as kids that we have NO large or aggressive snakes in the UK, in fact Ive never seen a wild one ever...

Kept us away for years tho :lol:

We were told similar stories of places to avoid. Most times dirty magazines were involved.

• Like 2

Hairy and covered in leaves?

Not a monster, just Bill Oddie.

• Like 2

No it's just Berthold, a local hanger-on down at the pub besotted and running around in his moth-eaten ghillie suit, a-gain.

Where's Dean and Sam when you need them?

Er, what 'Sussex woods'? A quick look at Google Satellite shows a couple of patches of trees maybe a mile on their longest sides, well cut through with roads.

• Like 1

Green Man Salad

The Green Man, also known as the Leaf Man, May King, or Jack in the Green, is an ancient image of the Goddesses’ consort. Today he may be found decorating the pillars of old churches and cathedrals, where he peeks out from among stone carvings of branches and leaves.

5 cups green leaf lettuce

2 cups fresh dandelion greens

6-8 slices of bacon

2 tablespoons white vinegar

Salt to taste

Remove stems of greens and roughly chop leaves. Cut bacon into 1-inch square pieces and fry until crispy. Pour off the fat, reserving ½ cup. Add vinegar, sugar, and salt to the bacon and reserved fat and bring to boil. Pour dressing over greens, toss and serve.

Celtic Folklore Cooking (p223).

Another hairy wild man-like beast who lives in the woods.

Man, that bigfoot is everywhere.

It is very odd how tons of different cultures and people seem to have a similar myth.

• Like 1

Er, what 'Sussex woods'? A quick look at Google Satellite shows a couple of patches of trees maybe a mile on their longest sides, well cut through with roads.

I second that, nothing bigger than a squirel could hide there. :blink:

Leaf Man isn't the Green Man. The latter is a god. Leaf man is a monster.

I live in Sussex and must say I have never heard of this before.

More than likely it is people who have been on a bender falling blind drunk into the bushes and trees.

• 1 month later...

I went hunting for LeafMan once, but whenever you get close to seeing him he just leaves.

:no: sorry...

• Like 4

I went hunting for LeafMan once, but whenever you get close to seeing him he just leaves.

:no: sorry...

archer-1-rimshot.jpg

• Like 3