Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What's Your Belief(s)/Religion(s)

Cc1

What do you believe in? How do you live your life?

I'm an Agnostic and was just wondering! :D

• Like 2

I believe in Lions, Tigers, and Bears...Oh my!

I live my life constantly getting into fights over people making fun of my Ruby Red Slippers.

• Like 3

I'm a Therianthrope pagan who shapeshifts at the full moon.

OH MY!

• Like 2

I believe the universe is real, but it's only a belief.

Dictionary .com defines belief as: "confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof".

In other words, belief is someone's opinion.

• Like 2

Now, SMK, aren't you cherry-picking just a bit?

From Dictionary.com

1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.

2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.

3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.

4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

I think you'll find that while atheists will use definition #1 and #2, believers use #3.

Edited by J. K.
  • Like 3

I believe the human race still don;t understand what 'believe' really means ~ or know either for that matter ~

I believe in aliens, global warming, green energy, evolution, and big government.

Oh-- it's a religion alright.

• Like 1

Now, SMK, aren't you cherry-picking just a bit?

From Dictionary.com

1. something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.

2. confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof: a statement unworthy of belief.

3. confidence; faith; trust: a child's belief in his parents.

4. a religious tenet or tenets; religious creed or faith: the Christian belief.

I think you'll find that while atheists will use definition #1 and #2, believers use #3.

Well, I chose that definition ("confidence in the truth or existence of something not immediately susceptible to rigorous proof".) because I felt it covered all the others. We can be easily deceived and deceive ourselves, so our confidence, faith and trust in something should be rigorously investigated. Of course, it is difficult to face harsh realities if these are what lie below our comfortable and cherished beliefs.

Belief itself always seemed to me to be suspect. Belief and wishful thinking seem to be quite similar. It may be better to just forget belief and be aware of life the way it happens moment to moment.

Edited by StarMountainKid
  • Like 1

Faith or trust in parents is a projected belief, based on past actions.

As for religious tenets or creeds... those are opinions.

Opinions based on the opinions of others, e.g. the bible, or the koran.

• Like 2

I have a God and I can proof His existence. He has no name, I call Him "The Infinite", or "The Universe", but those aren' t good descriptions of His either.

YAHVEH comes from the four letters of the tetragrammaton, Y H V H (Yod, He, Vau, He) (positive, neutral, negative, neutral), and that is the principle of all mathematics and chemistry in the Universe. 1+2+3+4 = 10... 1+0 = 1, the triad (trinity) that is in everything, positive, neutral, negative + another extra neutral that becomes positive ate the same time, the 4, because we know what happens if we put together positive and negative, it desintegrates, we need always a neutral in the middle

Infinite is One, One is the only finite number that you can extract from it, counting how many infinites you have, and with that one you can start making all the rest of the numbers and polarities.

God is mathematics, the Laws of the Universe and the Universe Himself, not a person.

We can proof the existence of Infinite with some math and would be nonsense to deny the existence of the Universe, so, mine is not a beilef, it is a FACT.

• Like 1

I am Celtic Druid. I am active in my religion and I do a lot of study, take class, practice a little witchcraft, do a lot of drumming and have a lot of fun. My belief system is pantheistic.

• Like 5

I know will just say, I'm New Age. I kind of call it Bohemian New Age, because I even define it as not being a New Ager followering the traditional path of New Age. I'm not strict in the materialistic aspect of it, but in the spiritual aspect of it.

• Like 1

I come from a Catholic background, I still attend and respect my catholic faith however, my predominant disposal is toward gnostic teachings and I would classify myself gnostic christian.

I do, however, as my avatar suggests, consider all teachings sacred in that their core wisdom is very similar and I truly believe divine inspiration comes to all who seek it and is provided in a manner that is compatible with their cultural and intellectual capacity to comprehend it.

Ultimately, there is one God and we are all seeking him in our own way, what we find is what we are ready to see at any given time - this applies to believers of course.

Edited by libstaK
  • Like 7

I do not accept any deities or religion. I think our morals come from society, not imaginary sky people.

Being moral, ethical, decent, kind and considerate come from within and should be done because it benefits the person as well as society, not because a must book said so or because of some implied threat of horrid punishment from a "all loving" and "all forgiving" sky man.

I do not accept the concept of aliens, dragons, angels, demons, souls/spirits. faeries, ghosts, nature spirits, the after life, destiny, telepathy or any form of so-called "psychic" abilities.

I do not accept the concept of talents, beauty, importance, worth, etc as they are all human concepts that are solely dependent on what someone else says.

I do not accept that our race is divine or created by "aliens" nor do I think we are being controlled by "reptilian" beasties. We, ourselves, are entirely responsible for our collective predicament.

I could go on but generally I do not accept anything without actual proof and anecdotes are not proof either nor are studies done by "special" groups of scientist paid by corporations.

Edited by Ryu
  • Like 6

My spirituality is ever changing but I consider myself a pagan as I feel the most spiritual when exposed to nature and believe all aspects of some sort of divine presence can be found in nature and the more wild places on earth. I don't follow any particular path however I find I relate most to some forms of Druidry.

I was raised in a barely practicing christian home but once I reached an age of independent thought I became a hardcore atheist like Mr Ryu posting above. I found the idea of life being essentially pointless quite empty however. A few deeply spiritual experiences later I began to think there has to be more to it all and opened my mind to the idea of spirit and began paying attention, thus beginning the path which has currently led me to where I am now.

• Like 3

The church of the SubGenius is the only true church

I am a Christian but I have to fight everyday to stand upon my beliefs. I get angry and have an awful time trying to walk in forgiveness. I attempt to remember that no place in the Bible does it say that life is going to be a cake-walk. We are not promised that.

If you study the Bible you will notice that it is filled with contradictions. Now that can be confusing, but I have experienced strange and wonderful things. One year when I was so poor I could just about make my rent when one of my cats vanished. She didn't come home for days and when she did I knew she was very sick. There were no viable injuries but I knew I was loosing her. I couldn't afford a vet. I remembered that Luke was the beloved physician so I read the entire book over her out loud. She didn't move, eat,drink or poop for 3 days, but on the 3rd days she rose up and acted like nothing had happen. All I had to rely on was faith and to me it saved her.

That is just one of many stories. Believe if you will, reject it if you must, but the bottom line is... what have you got to loose but a little of your time. Peace

• Like 2

I am a Christian but I have to fight everyday to stand upon my beliefs. I get angry and have an awful time trying to walk in forgiveness. I attempt to remember that no place in the Bible does it say that life is going to be a cake-walk. We are not promised that.

If you study the Bible you will notice that it is filled with contradictions. Now that can be confusing, but I have experienced strange and wonderful things. One year when I was so poor I could just about make my rent when one of my cats vanished. She didn't come home for days and when she did I knew she was very sick. There were no viable injuries but I knew I was loosing her. I couldn't afford a vet. I remembered that Luke was the beloved physician so I read the entire book over her out loud. She didn't move, eat,drink or poop for 3 days, but on the 3rd days she rose up and acted like nothing had happen. All I had to rely on was faith and to me it saved her.

That is just one of many stories. Believe if you will, reject it if you must, but the bottom line is... what have you got to loose but a little of your time. Peace

That's a horrible way to treat an animal, much less a loved pet. There are vets that bill on a sliding scale, there are tons of cat welfare shelters that perform check ups and surgery's for very very little to no cost at all.

Your treatment of your cat is sickening.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 4

I believe that the second coming of Christ in at hand.

I believe that the stars are almost right and Cthulhu and the Old Ones will raise from their slumber soon.

Wanna take bets on which happens first?

• Like 2

I have received many warm welcomes here but I think your comment without having all the facts, many which are not for the general public, has given me some clarity as to remaining.

• Like 2

I do not follow any religion. We eat, breathe, poop, sleep, reproduce (optional), and die. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edited by UFO_Monster
  • Like 3

I used to be a Christian, but I cut that out because (myself included) I saw how two-faced and unChristlike some supposed Christians really were. I have not set foot in a church in around five years now. I believe in a higher power, what you might call God, and I consider myself Deistic, Theistic and spiritual rather than religious. I don't know - to me when I look out at a night sky into the infinity of space and all those thousands of stars, personally I cannot help but think of a Creator. When I look at pictures of nebula, galaxies, stars, all of that, it strengthens what I believe. The universe is so beautiful on a scale that numbs the mind and it just speaks to me of Creation. I think man's feeble attempts at understanding who or what God is don't even begin to scratch the surface. The idea that God is an old dude sitting in the clouds with a stern expression and a big bushy beard to me is laughable. For such a fallible creature as man to understand, truly understand God, is like a chicken trying to understand quantum dynamics. It just ain't gonna happen.

Just my two cents :)

Edited by StarDroid
  • Like 3