Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SHI'ITES DECLARE HOLY WAR

Talon

SHI'ITES DECLARE HOLY WAR

Militiamen loyal to Shi'ite Muslim radical leader Moqtada al-Sadr have declared holy war against British forces based in Iraq's main southern city of Basra.

The declaration came after four of their comrades were arrested.

"We will wage jihad and war against the foreign troops, not against police and Iraqi forces," said Sheikh Saad al-Basri, al-Sadr's representative in the largely Shi'ite city.

"However, if Iraqi personnel fight on the side of the occupiers, we will strike them harshly."

In the latest gun clashes in the city, two Shi'ite militiamen were killed, a British forces spokeswoman said.

Downed helicopter in Najaf

Meanwhile, a US helicopter has been shot down in Najaf by fighters loyal to al-Sadr.

A US military spokesman said that several crew members were injured in the incident.

There have been fierce clashes in recent days in Najaf, another Shi'ite stronghold, threatening to unravel a deal agreed in June to end a series of violent incidents.

One US soldier and two militia have been killed in the most recent series of clashes.

Link

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fluffybunny

• wunarmdscissor

• Talon

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its always a holy war.

Somehow i think Britain will come out on top

If I had a dime for everytime that holy war was declared I'd be a very rich man.

Edited by Fluffybunny